Troy Aikman reveals he almost came out of retirement to play for the Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Aikman reveals he almost came out of retirement to play for the Miami Dolphins

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
Imagine this......

Certain players are synonymous with certain teams.

When you think of Michael Jordan, you think Chicago Bulls. Peyton Manning? Indianapolis Colts. Brett Favre? Packers. The list goes on and on.

To that end, one teamshould come to mind at the mere mention of the name Troy Aikman: the Dallas Cowboys. A recent Los Angeles Times article, however, revealed that the three-time Super Bowl champion almost came out of retirement to rock the aqua and orange.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article238995508.html#storylink=cpy

Yeah, that was heavily rumored at the time, it wasn’t a secret back then. It went on for quite awhile I remember. Not sure how I felt about that because he was already a year removed from playing I think at the time. But in hindsight, woulda been a hellava lot better than Fiedler

Remembering hearing at the time the Dolphins trying to lure Barry Sanders out of retirement to come play with Marino and make one last push together for a Super Bowl ring. But they were unsuccessful and Marino retired.

Barry would confirm that rumor years later.

Remembering hearing at the time the Dolphins trying to lure Barry Sanders out of retirement to come play with Marino and make one last push together for a Super Bowl ring. But they were unsuccessful and Marino retired.

Barry would confirm that rumor years later.
I remember hearing that rumor about Sanders as well back in the day, was hoping like hell it would happen that would’ve been a really great duo and I think they would’ve made the playoffs at the very least.

I remember that however Troy was never all that good. He had a great team around him. He wasn’t a QB that could carry a team. You put Marino on that Cowboys team and they would have never lost.

I remember that however Troy was never all that good. He had a great team around him. He wasn’t a QB that could carry a team. You put Marino on that Cowboys team and they would have never lost.
I think Troy Aikman was the ultimate game manager in my honest personal opinion. The guy had Emmitt Smith to tote the rock and Michael Irvin to throw it to.

I am on board with that. Just like Emmit is not the greatest RB ever. A stat collector who had a killer oline, great WRs and fullback who put his life on the line for him
As far as I’m concerned the greatest above Emmit are Jim Brown, OJ, Sanders, Gale Sayres, Eric Dickerson, John Riggins and the greatest I’ve ever seen Walter Payton

But that cowboy offense were great collectively as a group

Last edited:
You can say what you want about Aikman but if this was 02 that would have been a hell of a signing. That was a very good team that was grenaded by Ray Lucas and Fielder sucking, worse than he already did, when he came back from the thumb injury. That team beat up on Rich Gannon and his old WR’s than never won again. BTW the Raiders were the AFC super bowl team.

Aikman was a game manager but a better one than Fiedler.

Give me those other ten guys on the Cowboys 92/93 offense and I'll semi-competent. Aikman would not have succeeded had he gone down to Miami. Remind me: how well did Farve do in New York? Or Unitas in San Diego? Or Namath in Los Angeles? Past performance does not guarantee future results.

Give me those other ten guys on the Cowboys 92/93 offense and I'll semi-competent. Aikman would not have succeeded had he gone down to Miami. Remind me: how well did Farve do in New York? Or Unitas in San Diego? Or Namath in Los Angeles? Past performance does not guarantee future results.

Define success! In 02 we were 9-7 with a tough schedule and Ray Lucas playing 4 or 5 games. He literally blew 2 or 3 because he was so incompetent. In one of those games Ricky Williams has 200+ yards rushing. Aikman, albeit not great but better than Lucas/Fiedler, would have made that a playoff team. How far they go from there who knows but the AFC was weak.

to be clear I think the 02 team was the best team we’ve fielded in the last 20 years. It all went downhill after a huge win in Denver and Fiedlers thumb injury.

BTW if this was 03, I’m less inclined to think Aikman helps us. If this was 04 hahahaha haha. He would have gotten murdered. But 02 it would have been a good signing.

Define success! In 02 we were 9-7 with a tough schedule and Ray Lucas playing 4 or 5 games. He literally blew 2 or 3 because he was so incompetent. In one of those games Ricky Williams has 200+ yards rushing. Aikman, albeit not great but better than Lucas/Fiedler, would have made that a playoff team. How far they go from there who knows but the AFC was weak.

to be clear I think the 02 team was the best team we’ve fielded in the last 20 years. It all went downhill after a huge win in Denver and Fiedlers thumb injury.
Had Fiedler not gotten hurt I honestly think they would have went to the superbowl. They would have gotten crushed that Tampa D was sick but it still would have been cool.

Well if Aikman is the most overrated QB of all time he would have fit like a glove on that ‘02 team— i.e. the most overrated Dolphins defense of all time.

I am on board with that. Just like Emmit is not the greatest RB ever. A stat collector who had a killer oline, great WRs and fullback who put his life on the line for him
As far as I’m concerned the greatest above Emmit are Jim Brown, OJ, Sanders, Gale Sayres, Eric Dickerson, John Riggins and the greatest I’ve ever seen Walter Payton

But that cowboy offense were great collectively as a group

I just wish we could have a OLine like they had. I totally agree with the RBs you listed.

Back
Top Bottom