Troy Smith/ Leon Hall/ Kenny Irons Are Falling | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Smith/ Leon Hall/ Kenny Irons Are Falling

Smith is right where he was most of the season, reports said scouts had him 3rd or 4th round pretty much all season. It is all the internet forum nuts that raised him to a first rounder.

oh and I don't think anybody considered Irons a first round pick to begin with (unless it was preseason and going to the Steelers at 32). Everybody knew Peterson and Lynch were better, and Michael Bush (even on one leg) will go higher, and Tony Hunt might go higher too.

I wouldnt start saying that Leon hall has dropped out of the top 10 yet, he could surprise people at the combine, and after the combine is when stocks really fall or rise

Its pretty obvious what Hall has to do to move back up and that's run his best 40 time ever. The only knock on him is speed. He's basically a coverage corner or a CB you put on the #2 receiver

can u all explain to me HOW a heisman trophy winner DOESNT get drafted in Top 5??? has that ever happened? i thought Heisman Winners were like the best player.....it amazes me a Heisman Winner would get drafted in the 4th round.

happens all the time. heisman is about the best college player, not the best pro player. Let's see, remember Danny Wurfeil? not sure if I spelled his name right, but he was great as qb of the hurricanes during their champion years, but simply didn't pack the size or arm for the pro game...

Its pretty obvious what Hall has to do to move back up and that's run his best 40 time ever. The only knock on him is speed. He's basically a coverage corner or a CB you put on the #2 receiver

he seems to get torched alot by top college receivers...

Kiper seems to agree that Smith is dropping as well. His height is a major concern and Kiper said the National Championship game really exposed just how much of a problem his height can be.

Dont know him enough to have an opinion but Ive been saying the same thing about Hall and Irons just sucked this year. Troy Smith didnt impress me that much but dropping to 3rd or 4th is somewhat surprising. He said that he was way too inconsistent with his accuracy during SeniorBowl week and after the poor play against the speedy Gators scouts just soured on him. Add the height issue and lack of accuracy when confronted by speed and you can see why he's dropping

Didnt Smith have a 64% completion rating during the season?

again, 2 times all year he got torched.
I think Hall is a good corner, but you can't teach speed and he doesn't have top end speed. There is no doubt he will get beat deep at times in the NFL by speed WR's. If you are willing to accept that he's going to get beat from time to time and be content with him being a very good corner in all other aspects then he's your guy. It does happen to many good corners.

Jason White undrafted, Charlie Ward undrafted, Eric Crouch 3rd round, Danny Whuerful 4th round(I think), Gino Torrieta... pretty late I think 7th.

Happens more than you'd think, there's probably more. Truth of the matter is, The Heisman is an award presented to the player with the best statistical season for that year. Troy Smith just doesn't have good measurables to be a first round pick (namely his height).

That is not saying he won't be a good QB though. I compare him to Drew Brees; a guy who also fell because of height. The biggest difference though is Brees pretty much carried Purdue to the Rose Bowl by himself, Smith had a pretty easy road to the National Championship Game (thus I think he's falling, he got fumblitis and was a bit shakey against Michigan at times, and he disappeared against Florida).

Oh yeah, and McShay is probably the worst when it comes to analyzing IMO (Not saying he's wrong about Hall either, as a Michigan fan I've admitted that Revis could jump him).

But everything the consesus among most scouts that were at the senior bowl were that Hall was solid but not spectacular (so that might cause him to fall), Smith was a bit shakey but was the best QB down there, and Irons supposedly looked ok.

Again, I personally do not like McShay and I rank him way behind Mayock and Kiper, and I also like Scott Wright and DJ Boyer (2 online scouts, Wright owns NFLDraftCountdown) alot more.

It isn't necessarily the best "statistical" player...there are many factors, statistics being one of them. press coverage during the year, team he plays for (and its success), and, this player gets VOTED as the best player in the nation...the process is very subjective.

Bottom line, as the examples you have cited prove. the best college player in the nation does not equate to a top-5 pick in the draft.

However, it isn't all as bad as it appears...for every Torreta and White, there are the OJ's, the Marcus Allen's, the Mike Garrett's. All top notch professionals.

Jason White undrafted, Charlie Ward undrafted, Eric Crouch 3rd round, Danny Whuerful 4th round(I think), Gino Torrieta... pretty late I think 7th.

Happens more than you'd think, there's probably more. Truth of the matter is, The Heisman is an award presented to the player with the best statistical season for that year. Troy Smith just doesn't have good measurables to be a first round pick (namely his height).

That is not saying he won't be a good QB though. I compare him to Drew Brees; a guy who also fell because of height. The biggest difference though is Brees pretty much carried Purdue to the Rose Bowl by himself, Smith had a pretty easy road to the National Championship Game (thus I think he's falling, he got fumblitis and was a bit shakey against Michigan at times, and he disappeared against Florida).

Oh yeah, and McShay is probably the worst when it comes to analyzing IMO (Not saying he's wrong about Hall either, as a Michigan fan I've admitted that Revis could jump him).

But everything the consesus among most scouts that were at the senior bowl were that Hall was solid but not spectacular (so that might cause him to fall), Smith was a bit shakey but was the best QB down there, and Irons supposedly looked ok.

Again, I personally do not like McShay and I rank him way behind Mayock and Kiper, and I also like Scott Wright and DJ Boyer (2 online scouts, Wright owns NFLDraftCountdown) alot more.

eric couch? the QB that went to cleveland? wans't he a top 3 pick?

eric couch? the QB that went to cleveland? wans't he a top 3 pick?

Tim Couch was drafted #1 by the Browns. ERIC CROUCH won the Heisman at Nebraska, then was drafted to play safety by the Rams in the 3rd round. Suprisinlgy that never panned out, :rolleyes2.

Back
Top Bottom