True measurement of Chris Grier. | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

True measurement of Chris Grier.

Again... the 'head of scouting' doesn't make the picks. He just oversees the collection of data. You have NO idea which of the players he wanted if the choice were his... and neither do you. You just want someone to blame to make you feel better.
I feel just great. How great do YOU feel that Grier felt no need to go to Josh Allen’s Pro day? I’m a big Tua supporter, but your GM not attending? Yet they gather like locusts to wash a LT failure work out. Grier’s failure to build an OLine through the draft… or otherwise would be enough to dismiss him by most owners… except Steve Ross.

I feel just great. How great do YOU feel that Grier felt no need to go to Josh Allen’s Pro day? I’m a big Tua supporter, but your GM not attending? Yet they gather like locusts to wash a LT failure work out. Grier’s failure to build an OLine through the draft… or otherwise would be enough to dismiss him by most owners… except Steve Ross.
It doesn't bother me at all... you can't attend everything, and you do have staff for the other events.

Hunt has been really good... and Jackson still might be. I certainly won't hold his ankle injuries last year against him. I'm more or less astonished that so many do.

And You hire a DC like Flores that knows bugger all about Offence and refuses to hire help that could be more experienced then himself because he thinks he`s god`s gift to football on anyone of those 3 teams and like us no Super Bowl appearance . I know i know CG is responsible for that hire and i would a agree but he`s done an amazing job at turning the team around since they got rid of that useless boob .
Flo set the offense back 4 years..?adding the extra year of Boyer. CG IS responsible in part.. Ross the other part. This duo has proved to be a disaster for other than tragic results and embarrassment for fans. Spending money as Ross does is fine, but losing draft picks and bad hiring practices hurt.

It doesn't bother me at all... you can't attend everything, and you do have staff for the other events.

Hunt has been really good... and Jackson still might be. I certainly won't hold his ankle injuries last year against him. I'm more or less astonished that so many do.
I get it and personally give him a pass for last year due to injury but with no 2022 to go on folks are looking at 2021 AJ which wasn’t good so I get the believe it when I see it crowd.

We all desperately want to be robbed of our fuel believe me.

Couple things can be true here at same time:

1) this upcoming year has the potential to be very special, IMO easily the best roster and coaching staff we have had since the Marino days. Grier picks and trades have built this.

2). Tua’s health extremely key to point one and depending on how it goes will either elevate or lower the Grier grade so to speak as Tua was the cornerstone pick of the rebuild when there was another prototypical option.

3) despite preseason potential in 2023 the history to date shows zero playoff success over Grier’s tenure, both as sole GM and his longer affiliation with the club.

So I personally like Grier and think he does a pretty good job and am very excited for this year but at some point he will need actual success to earn any kind of top GM monicker. The book is still very much open on Grier, we win the SB in next 2 years he’s a legend. Tua bumps his head, Armstead tweaks a toe, Dolphins don’t muster a playoff win over next 2 years, don’t think we’ll be so impressed with the preseason rosters then.
My favorite is how so many seem to act like assembling this roster via FA and draft over the years to now be amongst the best in the league is the expectation. Many make it out like it's simple. If it is, why do so many teams have less talent. We just got the best CB in the league for Hunter Long and a freaking third round pick. We fleeced him and he's loving it because he wants to be here because of what we've assembled and the notoriety Mcd (his hire)'s offense has because of Hill (his acquisition) and Waddle (his draft pick) with Tua (his draft pick). I mean, let's just stop bandying around some faux blame. I can't speak for others, but I'm more excited going into this season with legit AFC champ game expectations because of what Grier has done. Those that need to continue to whine about how we haven't won a playoff game almost don't deserve what's coming. There should be a special list at Dolphins HQ for those of us who never lost faith.

I can't wait until we win the playoffs this year so all of you who need to ceaselessly whine about Grier (also no disrespect intended) will be robbed of your fuel. We have the best roster on this team, ever, Grier built that. Had we not had an epic amount of key injuries last year, we'd have at minimum gotten to the AFC Champ game.
I want to be clear, I have been a Dolphins fan my entire life. I have wanted every guy who wore our uniform succeed. I have supported every staff hire we have made, hoping for the best. I would love to see Grier and McDaniel succeed for years to come.

However, I will not sing praises for any NFL GM with zero postseason success. Particularly when they’ve been doing it for a number of years. Building a talented roster means nothing if we don’t win. Like it or not, the highest bar of measurement in the NFL is sustained success.

I get it and personally give him a pass for last year due to injury but with no 2022 to go on folks are looking at 2021 AJ which wasn’t good so I get the believe it when I see it crowd.
Sadly... the previous regime BADLY abused AJ. He's a LT, no he's a LG, no... we'll move him over here.

I'm sorry, but that was just stupid. We had the youngest Offensive Lineman in the entire league, a guy who we KNEW might be a little green, and then we moved him all over the line. Just mind bogglingly stupid. Flores' people were complete idiots.

In last year's camp... AJ was allowed to remain in a single position and reports were VERY positive. The coaches were convinced, and he looked really good in the preseason practices and games... then it came undone with an injury.

I believe that the main reason we have no done more to replace him is they REALLY liked what they saw, and let's be honest... the coaches saw so much more than any fan can.

I want to be clear, I have been a Dolphins fan my entire life. I have wanted every guy who wore our uniform succeed. I have supported every staff hire we have made, hoping for the best. I would love to see Grier and McDaniel succeed for years to come.

However, I will not sing praises for any NFL GM with zero postseason success. Particularly when they’ve been doing it for a number of years. Building a talented roster means nothing if we don’t win. Like it or not, the highest bar of measurement in the NFL is sustained success.
Cool. I didn’t want to listen to your praise song anyways. Neither of our opinions could get us city bus fair. Now I know yours and you know mine.

I’ll go tell Grier that his work is trash but would have been better had Mostert not injured his thumb which would have been enough to have gotten on the “we won a playoff game” map. Doesn’t seem like a fickle stance at all…

Let’s ring up Grier and tell him he’s getting a pass. I’m sure the relief on his part will be substantial. No offense to you specifically but all the people that are dolling out or withholding him “getting a pass” from their sofa on a phone or laptop in their pajamas is laughable.

And what exactly was he going to see at that pro day? An absolute moose of a QB with a hose for an arm throwing to dudes in their drawers competing against air. Cool. Maybe some sort of interaction with Allen , maybe ask him "Hey Josh, do you think you can get better with your timing, pace, anticipation, ya know, mostly everyting a QB has to do in the NFL if we draft you?" From Bleacher Report on Allen's pro day-

"All told, it's unlikely Friday's throws without a defense on the field are going to make a major impact in teams' final evaluation. It was a mostly safe script early on, allowing him to show off serviceable touch, and then he put the cannon on display late." Sounds like he missed quite a show.

I find it funny how everybody says we haven’t won a playoff game. That’s coaching in my opinion.

For me part of the GM responsibility is having a high-quality team. If you look at all the personnel on our team today versus other teams, he has done a very good job of adding quality players. For me Griers been really good.

The second game against Buffalo this year Tua hit Sherfield right between the numbers in the end zone in Sheffield dropped it. That’s not Griers fault.

I remember when Tampa Bay had really good players, but never made long runs in the playoffs. They switched out their coach for Gruden, who immediately came in and won a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
I find it funny how everybody says we haven’t won a playoff game. That’s coaching in my opinion.

For me part of the GM responsibility is having a high-quality team. If you look at all the personnel on our team today versus other teams, he has done a very good job of adding quality players. For me Greers been really good.

The second game against Buffalo this year Tua hit Sherfield right between the numbers in the end zone in Sheffield dropped it. That’s not Greers fault.

I remember when Tampa Bay had really good players, but never made long runs in the playoffs. They switched out their coach for Gruden, who immediately came in and won a Super Bowl.
You can’t blame just coaching when they’ve put out mostly 7-9, and 8-8 dynasties during this drought. The coaches don’t play, either. And spell his name correctly! It’s not “Greer” It’s actually G-R-I-T-Z

Grier has been an average GM, not bad but nothing special. Our team has done nothing since he has been GM. Some blame coaching but he was the one ot had a big part in hiring them. The cap was handled but who cares?

Now, he and the team are taking a smart gamble, with older players and a lot of deferred money, with a somewhat stable but fragile cheap QB.
Fans are excited and we all hope beyond hope things go well. We deserve it.
In terms of trades, Grier has been exceptional. In terms of FA, he's been at about average. Most FA acquisitions league-wide are not successful. I would guess maybe a third hit. In terms of drafting, since Grier had final say, he's been above average. The general rule is that you hit on about 50% of 1st rounders and then the success rate drops in later rounds to just above 25%. In terms of managing the cap, which is vitally important as anyone who paid attention when we had Tannenbaum would know, he's been great. Flores was a poor hire but that's also on Ross. So far it appears that McD was a great hire. Again that's also partly, maybe mostly on Ross. Compared to most GMs, I would say that Grier has easily been among the best since 2018 when he got final say.

There is a simple measurement for how good or bad Chris Grier is. I know that we can all point to this move or that move that didn’t work out or that a better move could’ve been made, but the true measurement of Chris Grier and his skill or success is how talented is the roster he has a assembled, and then how far does it get this year.

On paper, this looks like the most talented Dolphins roster I’ve seen in 30 years. For all of the criticism, this is a talented roster.
We got a reaaaaallll Sherlock Holmes here folks!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom