True measurement of Chris Grier. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

True measurement of Chris Grier.

Look at those hires by Ross. Gase.. an ESPN creation. Clueless Joe. Hyped by Ross’ confidantes. Tony… Parcells abusing HWayne. Bad ownership then elevates employees like Grier who sat by and watched the continued destruction of a once great franchise and said, nor did ANYTHING.. for fear of their gig. Go along to get along. That painfully said, perhaps Grier’s time with Flo has helped steel CG. The recent deals have not been those of desperation, but more like a solid negotiator. BUT…. If the OLine isn’t fixed by end of season, what the . We saw what happened to the Chiefs when their OLine was decimated. No way the Dolphins can reach deep into the playoffs with average RBs and a porous OLine.
OK let me try to understand your position…You’re saying that Greer is an insolent organizational inbred that is starting to come through… But if he doesn’t do some thing to the old line we’re not gonna go far? I’m so confused. 🎃🤠

There is a simple measurement for how good or bad Chris Grier is. I know that we can all point to this move or that move that didn’t work out or that a better move could’ve been made, but the true measurement of Chris Grier and his skill or success is how talented is the roster he has a assembled, and then how far does it get this year.

On paper, this looks like the most talented Dolphins roster I’ve seen in 30 years. For all of the criticism, this is a talented roster.
Agree that this is the most talented team we’ve had. It’s probably been more than 30 years since we’ve been loaded like this.

The excuses people make for this dude are unbelievable. Every off season Grier is the king of managers. Then the games start happening with the same results and blemishes.

So let's say he was just a fly on the wall for 20 years and a real person for the last 7. What's the timeline for getting results? Give the guy another decade just to make more excuses and circle back to "he wasn't the real GM. He wasn't even responsible for those picks!"?

The only thing this guy is good at is being the scapegoat master. He is responsible for the good and others the bad. He's rubber, you're glue.
Dascapegoat Masta - I like it! I’ll pass that on to cuz fer ya… Thanks BobDole! 🍍🍌🎃 🐎 🏭

Actually... no.

Both players were taken within the general range where they had been expected to be taken. Iggy maybe a half round early. Jackson was predicted to go middle to late 1st.
I remember Jackson being late 1st to 2nd (not to split hairs) but I also believe if you’re drafting a tackle you have to expect to reach a little bit because of the value put on the position. There wasn’t really a tackle I’d say we could have selected over him at that point and there was a good chance someone else reached on him before our next pick. I think you’ll see a lot of OT’s in this draft going higher than they should based on their profile because there’s just not that much good, affordable talent there right now.

OK let me try to understand your position…You’re saying that Greer is an insolent organizational inbred that is starting to come through… But if he doesn’t do some thing to the old line we’re not gonna go far? I’m so confused. 🎃🤠
No sir. I just think it would be a fireable offense if CG doesn’t find a wY to acquire a more than just serviceable LG and RT. It’s been 2016 si ce the Dolphins drafted a dominant RB. And it was the 5th (?) round… yes, previously injured… a requirement. One glorious year of bully ball…

There are still some holdouts who fail to see what Grier hass accomplished here. When he finally got the reigns, this team was thought by the national pundits as being a probable winless team in 2019. We had X, Wilkins and Baker who were legit NFL players. ONLY. Grier has re-built this franchise at every position, period. We saw how competitive we were last year without our QB (and others) at Barfalo in the playoff game. Not every move has worked to this point but the OL has been addressed and has more talent than when he took over. Whiners gonna whine...

I contend they are utterly and completely clueless when it comes to the nuts and bolts of actual football. Pretty smart fellas actually, not too many dumb billionaires roaming the planet last I checked. They just can't seem to avoid the falling anvils , exploding dynamite, and oncoming freight trains when they hatch their devious schemes. Hopefully we've seen the last of those exploits.
Hmmmm, I beg to differ Sofakingdrunk. I have a hunch that Stephen Ross (not Beal) has a rudimentary understanding of basic concepts of NFL Football. I would be willing to bet 50 (donation to the site) that Ross understands all the really basic stuff and that he also would be able to show basic understanding of the following terms:

1. Zone Running System - like McD stuff.
2. The O line and the 5 positions / D line and the 3-4 vs the 4 3
3. Wide Receivers and Running Backs / Linebackers and Safety's + CB's and their respective roles.
4. Special Teams - Punter, Kicker, Longsnapper and the basics of the players on special teams.
5. Many of the Rules - not the real complex ones, but the basics.
6. Salary Cap - again not to deep but for sure quite a bit.
7. Player trades and acquisitions - lots of knowledge here...probably a lot more than mosta us!
8. Marketing and other Front Office Related machinations - no brainer.
9. Cheerleaders - which are hot and which maybe not. Well, maybe? Bet he prefers blondes!

Of course, the kicker here is how we find out who wins the bet...how many agree with this and how many don't...and what is the enforcement method to make sure that the brave bettors who would put Finheaven finances 1st and join in the challenge - actually come through with the dough. By the way, this would be American dollars except for us Canadians...as it was a Canadian who formulated the challenge.

Perhaps we can "elect" or "nominate" a "representative" that will approach the Dolphins Front Office (I'm thinkin elites here like CMD, Henrik, CJ Parrot, Fishfan, Danny, Fin-Loco, Mach2 cough, haha, you know the "type" (apologies for those not mentioned as there are way too many) and 'pitch" the "Challenge" to Rossy Boy! Another thought is that I'll do it! - I'll finally get on that ****in plane tammarraw if I have to! No, just kiddin. haha

Last edited:
Two years*

In 2025 we will need to pay Tua and make massive changes to the roster to make that happen. We will probably be forced to cut quite a few vets and eat a boat load of dead money in 25 and 26.

We have a 2 year window while having an elite roster.
I'll take that as an automatic EXCELLENCE VOTE FOR GRIER IN ADVANCE if! In 3 years we still have a very competitive roster that is still a playoff contender. Bookmarked Chad. Thx!

Dunno how many of y'all understand Army Talk, but I'll give my analogy of Grier. Grier is the NCO of the dolphins. He has power, and respect, but his main job his to execute his coaches will to the best of his ability. Mcdaniel is the Platoon Leader, or the guy making decisions in order to actually win the ball games, and says for Grier to go out and Do "X", so that the wins come forth. If his PL has a bad plan, doesn't really matter what the NCO does. The analogy is a bit murky bc NCO's usually are the people training the soldiers in a Platoon, which is McDaniels job, but in so far as "i need this, can we get it" is what Grier's job is. And his ability to do so is pretty good and mostly cost effective. Is he the best? No. Is he pretty good and better than the average GM? I'd take Grier over pretty much everyone minus the universally renowned guys.

edit: this isn't a perfect analogy, feel free to critique it.
****in A analogy there WildBillIV! question, is the IV an IV drip? and if so, whats a drippin in there?

haha

Hmmmm, I beg to differ Sofakingdrunk. I have a hunch that Stephen Ross (not Beal) has a rudimentary understanding of basic concepts of NFL Football. I would be willing to bet 50 (donation to the site) that Ross understands all the really basic stuff and that he also would be able to show basic understanding of the following terms:

1. Zone Running System - like McD stuff.
2. The O line and the 5 positions / D line and the 3-4 vs the 4 3
3. Wide Receivers and Running Backs / Linebackers and Safety's + CB's and their respective roles.
4. Special Teams - Punter, Kicker, Longsnapper and the basics of the players on special teams.
5. Many of the Rules - not the real complex ones, but the basics.
6. Salary Cap - again not to deep but for sure quite a bit.
7. Player trades and acquisitions - lots of knowledge here...probably a lot more than mosta us!
8. Marketing and other Front Office Related machinations - no brainer.
9. Cheerleaders - which are hot and which maybe not. Well, maybe? Bet he prefers blondes!

Of course, the kicker here is how we find out who wins the bet...how many agree with this and how many don't...and what is the enforcement method to make sure that the brave bettors who would put Finheaven finances 1st and join in the challenge - actually come through with the dough. By the way, this would be American dollars except for us Canadians...as it was a Canadian who formulated the challenge.

Perhaps we can "elect" or "nominate" a "representative" that will approach the Dolphins Front Office (I'm thinkin elites here like CMD, Henrik, CJ Parrot, Fishfan, Danny, Fin-Loco, Mach2 cough, haha, you know the "type" (apologies for those not mentioned as there are way too many) and 'pitch" the "Challenge" to Rossy Boy! Another thought is that I'll do it! - I'll finally get on that ****in plane tammarraw if I have to! No, just kiddin. haha
My entire argument was based on Ross and his cronies constantly doing something preposterous to put his players/coaches/GM/fans in an uncomfortable pickle. We're all intimately familiar with the laundry list of transgressions so I won't recite them here. To me (and maybe I should have qualified it better) that is the very nuts and bolts of the NFL business. Of course they have an understanding of the game, but their constant application of NY real estate tactics to owning an NFL team shows a fundamental flaw in strategy. It doesn't get any more "nuts and bolts" than that from an ownership standpoint. By the way, I saw the forecast for Edmonton, I bet you'd lay down a big ol' stack of loonies and toonies to get on a plane to SoFla my friend! I say go for it.

We look good on paper. I'll give him that. He's good at trades & free agency for the most part, depending on the year. The draft is where the main mistakes are made, which is the most important part of his job.

I give him credit when its due and tear him apart when the bed is shat. It is typically the latter.
Do you have statistics that show Grier is any worse than other GMs at drafting? Or do you assume the Dolphins are the only team who's whiffed on draft picks?

Back
Top Bottom