True measurement of Chris Grier. | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

True measurement of Chris Grier.

I would call him average, as that has been our record over the last several years......right around .500. We do have a lot of talent, but we also still have huge questions on the OL. The OL has been the biggest issue this team has had for more than a decade. I don't care how much talent he has acquired, if the OL fails again this year, and gets our QB killed, he has failed again. It is his job to put a winning team together, not just talent at certain positions.
The Oline was responsible for 0 of Tuas injuries last year though....
Bills was an illegal late hit
Bengals was Tua extending a play after 5 seconds in the pocket
Packers was Tua extending a play after 5 seconds in the pocket

This franchise is starving for sustainable long term continuity, easier said than done in the modern NFL. I firmly believe McD is the guy to bring that, he's just got to keep developing and building year to year. I'm super encouraged with his comments today. If Grier can just have the same blueprint for more than a year or two I'm optimistic he can be successful. That being said, if somehow McD doesn't work out, I'm probably in favor of a full house cleaning. At that point Grier would have to be seen as a major component of the problem, third time's a charm and all of that. Unless, of course, Grier has pictures of Steve Ross doing unthinkable things with a goat. Then we're stuck with him.
Better wean ourselves off that fix...doesn't exist in the modern NFL.

Last edited:
Do you have statistics that show Grier is any worse than other GMs at drafting? Or do you assume the Dolphins are the only team who's whiffed on draft picks?

I've watched all the games and know the results over the last 20 years. What additional info is required?

I remember Jackson being late 1st to 2nd (not to split hairs) but I also believe if you’re drafting a tackle you have to expect to reach a little bit because of the value put on the position. There wasn’t really a tackle I’d say we could have selected over him at that point and there was a good chance someone else reached on him before our next pick. I think you’ll see a lot of OT’s in this draft going higher than they should based on their profile because there’s just not that much good, affordable talent there right now.
Jets Fans Tears Taste Like Candy - I haven't seen that sig in too long!!!

My entire argument was based on Ross and his cronies constantly doing something preposterous to put his players/coaches/GM/fans in an uncomfortable pickle. We're all intimately familiar with the laundry list of transgressions so I won't recite them here. To me (and maybe I should have qualified it better) that is the very nuts and bolts of the NFL business. Of course they have an understanding of the game, but their constant application of NY real estate tactics to owning an NFL team shows a fundamental flaw in strategy. It doesn't get any more "nuts and bolts" than that from an ownership standpoint. By the way, I saw the forecast for Edmonton, I bet you'd lay down a big ol' stack of loonies and toonies to get on a plane to SoFla my friend! I say go for it.
You got that right Pontiac! - the part about the plane right to Fla! Wonna these daze!

On the other, I honestly thought it might be really cool if we, as a board, prepared a kind of "friendly questionaire" for lack of a better term...and actually sent it in from Finheaven - as an "Inquiring Dolphin Fans on Finheaven Wanna Know" request to our owner - through the right channels of course. I'm feelin that you may not think very highly of that gesture? But I come from the school that sez you "won't find out unless ya ask" So Ima askin...Sofakingdrunk - Can we? puleeezze! **** its cold up here!

I will say this about Grier. He’s gotten more aggressive (not desperate) in his deals and he is managing the roster more in line w where the NFL is heading. It used to be “just focus on the draft and grow your own” but that’s changing.

The Rams went all in w big name FAs and trades and won it. The Bucs did the same when the got Brady as they added Grnk and 4-Net and a host of other “win now” pieces.

Yes you have to get good starters in the draft. But to build via the draft is a bit of misnomer now as you have to hit on at least 3 in a row and then win the SB shortly after before you lose a bunch of dude to FA. So the way I see it, your window isn’t much larger than taking a shot w moves that swap picks for talents like Hill, Chubb-dub and Ramsey the Great

My 2 cents
Accurate.

Hmmmm, I beg to differ Sofakingdrunk. I have a hunch that Stephen Ross (not Beal) has a rudimentary understanding of basic concepts of NFL Football. I would be willing to bet 50 (donation to the site) that Ross understands all the really basic stuff and that he also would be able to show basic understanding of the following terms:

1. Zone Running System - like McD stuff.
2. The O line and the 5 positions / D line and the 3-4 vs the 4 3
3. Wide Receivers and Running Backs / Linebackers and Safety's + CB's and their respective roles.
4. Special Teams - Punter, Kicker, Longsnapper and the basics of the players on special teams.
5. Many of the Rules - not the real complex ones, but the basics.
6. Salary Cap - again not to deep but for sure quite a bit.
7. Player trades and acquisitions - lots of knowledge here...probably a lot more than mosta us!
8. Marketing and other Front Office Related machinations - no brainer.
9. Cheerleaders - which are hot and which maybe not. Well, maybe? Bet he prefers blondes!

Of course, the kicker here is how we find out who wins the bet...how many agree with this and how many don't...and what is the enforcement method to make sure that the brave bettors who would put Finheaven finances 1st and join in the challenge - actually come through with the dough. By the way, this would be American dollars except for us Canadians...as it was a Canadian who formulated the challenge.

Perhaps we can "elect" or "nominate" a "representative" that will approach the Dolphins Front Office (I'm thinkin elites here like CMD, Henrik, CJ Parrot, Fishfan, Danny, Fin-Loco, Mach2 cough, haha, you know the "type" (apologies for those not mentioned as there are way too many) and 'pitch" the "Challenge" to Rossy Boy! Another thought is that I'll do it! - I'll finally get on that ****in plane tammarraw if I have to! No, just kiddin. haha
Any CEO who doesn't have a basic idea is out of the wheelhouse, so to speak. Who's to say Ross is not a red blooded male that fluc*king likes football, and has an idea WTF it's all about?

The Oline was responsible for 0 of Tuas injuries last year though....
Bills was an illegal late hit
Bengals was Tua extending a play after 5 seconds in the pocket
Packers was Tua extending a play after 5 seconds in the pocket
That is just a general statement, bottom line is our OL sucked again last year....just as it has the last decade.

D-do you think Grier has been GM for 20 years...?

No but he's been here that long. During the worst run in franchise history. Where scandals were more the culture than winning.

My question is what on earth has he done since he's been here for people to defend him?

No but he's been here that long. During the worst run in franchise history. Where scandals were more the culture than winning.

My question is what on earth has he done since he's been here for people to defend him?

Hill , Ramsey , Phillips , Holland , Tua , Wilkins

Not bad for a shitty GM :shrug:

I think he's done better recently than in the past

Grier has done a good job. I rate him a solid B that is trending upwards. It is pathetic to see how people criticize Grier when he doesn't perform like they do on Madden! Is Grier Ozzie Newsom? No, but I will take him over most GMS in the league.

He is not afraid to make bold moves i will give him that

It they succeed he's genius, if not he's a loser

We shall see

Hill was a huge success IMO

Hope Ramsey is as well, he got him for peanuts

Back
Top Bottom