True measurement of Chris Grier. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

True measurement of Chris Grier.

Pretty arbitrary to blame that all on Grier. He’s not doing the coaching. I can buy you all the best groceries but you still might screw up dinner.
I mean zero disrespect, but a GM’s job is to build a winning franchise.

“General Manager job responsibilities include hiring the head coach, building the remainder of the personnel department staff, coordinating the rubric for scouting college prospects and compiling the team's roster in accordance to the NFL's salary cap.”

Grier has done some good things in Miami since 2016. We still have zero playoff wins in the past (going on) 23 years. It certainly is not all his fault, but there is no way he doesn’t share part of the blame either.

I think you mean I overestimate Ross and his pals. That may be true. Maybe I do. I am not perfect and try to keep an open mind. But as I said, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Yes, there was a time that I thought Ross should replace Grier, but these days, I think Grier has really come into his own, for example, trading for Hill has paid dividends in more ways than one. His work ethic has carried over to the team and my feeling is our guys are working their butts off to make a run for the big game. Assuming (and we all know what that could mean) Grier is orchestrating all of the moves we have made these last couple of years, I am going to give credit where credit is due because it's a what have you done for me lately world and he's doing a pretty good job.
No, I was being a wise ass (as usual), Ross and his pals are Alicia Silverstone level of Clueless when it comes to putting a footbal team together, therefore I was opining that you underestimated their cluelessness. They need to stay the hell out of the way, sign checks, and let the football people do their thing.

When are summa you guys ever gonna learn… It wasn’t the Oline that got Tua hurt… It was his own bad decisions…and he’s learning from them.

What about the horrible running game? Tua's fault too? When are some of you going to learn, Tua's quick release and McDaniel's scheme are making this trash oline look mediocre. We will NEVER win a superbowl with this oline as currently constructed.

Even if we make it to the playoffs each year, this oline will derail the season every time.

Apparently neither do injuries, especially to the starting QB. :rolleyes:

This dude wants to cite record as the end all, be all, despite all the variables, when you know for sure that even if MIA had went 19-0 and won the SB the same dude wouldn’t then be making the argument that Grier was “perfect” in every decision he ever made because the record says so.
Who drafted the injury-prone QB, coming off a major hip injury? “Oh, but he made this trade, and spent Ross’ money on this guy, and blah blah blah.” Don’t try stroking people’s nutsack until we actually win something.

What about the horrible running game? Tua's fault too? When are some of you going to learn, Tua's quick release and McDaniel's scheme are making this trash oline look mediocre. We will NEVER win a superbowl with this oline as currently constructed.

Even if we make it to the playoffs each year, this oline will derail the season every time.
McD needs to stick with the run when it's working. Green Bay and Buffalo games stand out as glaring examples, the opportunites are there every game. We most definitely have not seen that in years past. I would go with "under used" instead of horrible if it were me. I think all can agree we need to see more from the running game. Coach is an uber nerd, he'll surely self scout like a maniac and get it figured out.

Tough to be considered a top GM in the NFL when your franchise has not won a playoff game in 2 decades. Particularly when you’ve been part of said franchise since 2000 and the GM since 2016. I think he has made good moves the past few years, but it doesn’t mean much if we don’t win.
I still wish I knew who called the shots on each drafted player.

I mean zero disrespect, but a GM’s job is to build a winning franchise.

“General Manager job responsibilities include hiring the head coach, building the remainder of the personnel department staff, coordinating the rubric for scouting college prospects and compiling the team's roster in accordance to the NFL's salary cap.”

Grier has done some good things in Miami since 2016. We still have zero playoff wins in the past (going on) 23 years. It certainly is not all his fault, but there is no way he doesn’t share part of the blame either.
I can't wait until we win the playoffs this year so all of you who need to ceaselessly whine about Grier (also no disrespect intended) will be robbed of your fuel. We have the best roster on this team, ever, Grier built that. Had we not had an epic amount of key injuries last year, we'd have at minimum gotten to the AFC Champ game.

I agree that this is likely the best roster the Dolphins have had in almost 3 decades. Yet the last great roster they had going into the season was the 1995 Dolphins that was loaded with first round draft picks.

That team was picked by many experts to win the SB prior to season. They made the playoffs after coming in 3rd in the AFC East division but lost to the Bills in the first round of the playoffs.

That ended up being Don Shula’s last year as the Dolphins head coach. I just hope this loaded roster has a lot more success than the last Dolphins loaded roster had.
Most of those former first round picks had played well but were past their prime when we got them. Although most played well they were just past the point where they dominate game changers. Guy's like Hugh Green, Kieth Jackson etc...

No, I was being a wise ass (as usual), Ross and his pals are Alicia Silverstone level of Clueless when it comes to putting a footbal team together, therefore I was opining that you underestimated their cluelessness. They need to stay the hell out of the way, sign checks, and let the football people do their thing.

I agree Ross needs to stay in his lane. I can imagine he is used to being the ultimate decision-maker in his business outside the Dolphins so it is probably difficult for him to keep his mouth shut, trust Grier, and let the football people handle business. No doubt the mistakes he has made have cost the Dolphins dearly. I hope he is humbled and learns from the experience.

Well the usual cast of characters has reared their naysayer heads, worrst ever three picks, or I would have drafted this Pro Bowler instead. Grier has addressed the OL drafting a first round tackle, 2 second round guards, and signed the 2 top FA's at the OL position in the last 2 years. The OL is not there yet, I get it. I also get that whe whole team had to be re-built from a decent high school squad to someething that might compete for a playoff birth. SOme here won't see the forrest for the trees, instead they cry about decisions made to fix the team as a whole instead of just the OL. Tua was responsible for some of his injuries by trying extend plays instead of dumping the play and starting over.No OL in the NFL can hold up for long plays against these monsters playing on DL nowadays.

Austin Jackson has a chance to still make something of himself and Tua if he can stay healthy was a great pick

So that draft is not done being evaluated yet.

I judge since tannenbaum left, since then I think he’s done a good job as a GM on the GM scale..

From the tear down to here we now have a team that can compete for a champ and he picked a head coach that everyone seems to love.

So he’s in the good graces now..

I believe from a lot of paying attention. He will address two units on our team that have little to no young prospects.

Tight end and running back.

The hyperbole surrounding the OL is often amplified but not often rooted in fact.

Last year’s Dolphins RB + OL rushing efficiency was slightly below average and not often used during games.
  • Miami had 390 rushing attempts (#31), averaged 4.3 YPC (#18), and 13 TDs (#21)
  • The league average was 444 rushing attempts for 4.4 YPC and 15 TDs.
  • If someone has access to rush win block % that would be helpful.
In the passing game:
  • Miami’s OL only allowed 35 sacks (#9) despite having #12 most passing attempts.
  • Yes, Tua’s 2.3 second release helped somewhat as the league average is 0.2 slower.
What is a data-backed counter argument?

The OL is not yet championship quality and some fixes remain, but it’s far from the train wreck some have described.

Tough to be considered a top GM in the NFL when your franchise has not won a playoff game in 2 decades. Particularly when you’ve been part of said franchise since 2000 and the GM since 2016. I think he has made good moves the past few years, but it doesn’t mean much if we don’t win.
This. May not be fair, but at the end of the day GMs and coaches are measured on record. I’m optimistic for this season.

I can't wait until we win the playoffs this year so all of you who need to ceaselessly whine about Grier (also no disrespect intended) will be robbed of your fuel. We have the best roster on this team, ever, Grier built that. Had we not had an epic amount of key injuries last year, we'd have at minimum gotten to the AFC Champ game.
We all desperately want to be robbed of our fuel believe me.

Couple things can be true here at same time:

1) this upcoming year has the potential to be very special, IMO easily the best roster and coaching staff we have had since the Marino days. Grier picks and trades have built this.

2). Tua’s health extremely key to point one and depending on how it goes will either elevate or lower the Grier grade so to speak as Tua was the cornerstone pick of the rebuild when there was another prototypical option.

3) despite preseason potential in 2023 the history to date shows zero playoff success over Grier’s tenure, both as sole GM and his longer affiliation with the club.

So I personally like Grier and think he does a pretty good job and am very excited for this year but at some point he will need actual success to earn any kind of top GM monicker. The book is still very much open on Grier, we win the SB in next 2 years he’s a legend. Tua bumps his head, Armstead tweaks a toe, Dolphins don’t muster a playoff win over next 2 years, don’t think we’ll be so impressed with the preseason rosters then.

Back
Top Bottom