Truth about the O-Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I believe that with Tannehill being a dual threat QB (run/pass), opposing defenses must have a LB all the time spying the QB. That leaves 1 less defender to stop Ajayi and this is probably one of the reasons Ajayi went to his 1st pro-bowl last year. He was not as effective with Moore in at QB and Gase doesn't calll these plays with Cutler since he is playing scared.

Most teams with Dual threat QB's always had strong running games.
The O-line is the same minus Albert and there is no way they could have regressed that much if the dual threat of Tannehill wasn't making up for this flawed OL

Tannehill helps for sure...as far as the o-line playing bad with 4 guys coming back, here's what I think. Bushrod is done. He was bad last year and now a year older he's worse. Pouncey is worse this year too and last year he played 4 games only and he doesn't practice much so the o-line plays better without him(falcons game after he went out). LG is a mess after Tunsil was steady there last year and LT is worse as Tunsil is not as good yet as Albert was even thought it wasn't albert's best year so yeah, we have 4 guys back but they're worse and it's not only because of Tannehill not being playing

Ozzy rules!!

It's simple. Pouncey is washed now. James was never great. Bushrod is below average. Tunsil is not living up to the hype so far. And the LG situation is a disaster.

There are millions of people who could assemble a better offensive line than Mike Tannenbaum. He is not fit to run a team.

The RB should not have to have to break multiple tackles every down to get three yards. When JT is in the game the run game is all but dead.

I am wondering about this with everything Gase has been saying lately. Finheaven just goes everybody sucks, and in this case that may be true, but how much is it that the guys suck vs the guys don't know what they're doing? Now a guys who doesn't know what he's doing at the professional level does indeed suck but how much of this is guys being whipped physically vs guys not knowing their assignments?

There's some truth there. Also seems like the team had more designed roll-outs with Tannehill, which meant the opposing defense couldn't just focus on one spot to go after the quarterback.

I think the sad truth is that Mike Pouncey isn't the player that he was either. I don't see him moving anyone back in the run game and last year his resurgence coincided with Miami taking off on offense. I could be wrong, but looks like that hip injury has been too much for Pouncey to rebound from.

That, plus the injury to Larsen has really hurt an offensive line that wasn't that great to begin with.

I am wondering about this with everything Gase has been saying lately. Finheaven just goes everybody sucks, and in this case that may be true, but how much is it that the guys suck vs the guys don't know what they're doing? Now a guys who doesn't know what he's doing at the professional level does indeed suck but how much of this is guys being whipped physically vs guys not knowing their assignments?

That's what I've been trying to say, It is the ZBS. They are confused and dont know their assignment.

Trash the ZBS, engage the man in front of you, move him left, move him right, move him back, or anchor and hold position.

These guys arent weak, the scheme is too complicated. Look at the film, its a cluster**** nearly every snap.

I believe that with Tannehill being a dual threat QB (run/pass), opposing defenses must have a LB all the time spying the QB. That leaves 1 less defender to stop Ajayi and this is probably one of the reasons Ajayi went to his 1st pro-bowl last year. He was not as effective with Moore in at QB and Gase doesn't calll these plays with Cutler since he is playing scared.

Most teams with Dual threat QB's always had strong running games.
The O-line is the same minus Albert and there is no way they could have regressed that much if the dual threat of Tannehill wasn't making up for this flawed OL

Certainly helps, but it also helped that Tanny could burn teams on the deep ball.

That's what I've been trying to say, It is the ZBS. They are confused and dont know their assignment.

Trash the ZBS, engage the man in front of you, move him left, move him right, move him back, or anchor and hold position.

These guys arent weak, the scheme is too complicated. Look at the film, its a cluster**** nearly every snap.

Gase has said that the O-line is at least blocking the right guy. He's not jumping for joy over their performance though because I think some of them are regularly losing their one-on-one battles. That could point to the scheme as you say, but I wouldn't know. I think we mix it up between zone and power. I don't know which works better for us. I still find myself watching the ball (hangs head in shame).

Gase has said that the O-line is at least blocking the right guy. He's not jumping for joy over their performance though because I think some of them are regularly losing their one-on-one battles. That could point to the scheme as you say, but I wouldn't know. I think we mix it up between zone and power. I don't know which works better for us. I still find myself watching the ball (hangs head in shame).

Yea, I know, which really surprises me. But it's his playbook, so he knows best. (If he is being honest)

But when I watch it, I see 5 guys that are looking for their assignment after every snap. Doesnt make sense to me at all.

Gase is coddling this team to a degree. A perfect example is Pouncey who is held of of so many drills that he can't deliver on Sunday. I understand that he wants to get as much out of Pouncey as he can but this isn't working. We have the player out there playing, but at what level. I also wonder if Pouncey still telegraphs plays like he used to. We might be better off moving Pouncey to LG, bring in Brendel to play center and let Davis and Bushrod share snaps at RG. Maybe a shake up on the O-Line is exactly what the Dr. ordered. We have to find a combination that works, maybe we need to start Asiata next week.

Back
Top Bottom