Tua and two tackles | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua and two tackles

Ideally:

5. Tua
Trade up: Thomas, Becton, Wills, Wirfs
26. McKinney, Winfield, or Ruiz

I'd be open to Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs at 18 or Jefferson, Reagor at 26 in the event one of them falls.

The above should be the direction of round 1. At 18/26 or any scenario of trading down or up (from round 2), the Dolphins need to land two book-end tackles. Miami had the 32nd ranked offensive line last year. They are investing in a qb in round 1. If you are shopping for pasta, you must pick up the meatballs and sauce. Getting Karas and Flowers is not enough. Who here believes in Jesse Davis and Julian Davenport? Defensive-ends line up all over the field. In addition, you need to draft a RT very early, because he is your blind-spot tackle for Tua, being a lefty. And since Tua is injury-prone, you need a LT for a right-handed qb. Miami should use this draft and stop the bleeding of their two biggest issues, qb and Oline.
I really like the theory ... but I don't know if the execution will work. IMHO, there's a top eschelon of OT's, and while it is likely that one falls to around 15 or so, it is very iffy whether one lasts until 18. At 26 it's a bit of a crapshoot on whether you will get a starting OT or not, and probably looking at 2nd tier guys at that point. There's a lot of conjecture, but the top tier of OT's looks to be some order of these guys: Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, and Mekhi Becton. Pick your style, each of them has their fans and detractors, none is a sure-fire prospect, but that's the top tier. Of that group, I'm hoping that Andrew Thomas drops ... he probably has the highest probability of success, but not quite the ceiling the other guys have. Higher floor, lower ceiling, which is why he might last until 18.

After that there's a drop off, and the second tier probably includes some ordering of: Ezra Cleveland, Isaiah Wilson, Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, and maybe Lucas Niang. Again, different strokes for different folks. Again, I like the guy who is least likely to bust, which is probably Ezra Cleveland. Let's face it, the Dolphins chances of finding an OT who does not bust, are low. So, I'm going to go with the solid choice over swinging for the fences along the OL.

Maybe we get a tier 1 guy at 18 ... probably we just miss out like we just missed out on Zack Thomas and had to settle for Ju'Wuan James ... remember him? Zero Pro Bowls, lots of injuries, drafted shortly after Zack Thomas the All-Pro guard. I see a similar scenario playing out at 18, so if we move up, it might be from 18 into around 13-16 range to get a top tier OT.

At 26, we're likely going to keep that pick or trade back. We might get a second tier OT at 26, or we might be able to trade into early round 2 and get the same guy ... hard to tell. Those look like the options for getting a starting caliber OT in the 2020 season. Some other guys may develop over time, but they'll be later in the draft.

Personally, I think we need to prioritize the OL a bit, but I'm only looking to add a LT (or same guy playing RT if we draft a leftie QB).

But there are a lot of other options, and maybe taking Xavier McKinney at 18 or 26 makes more sense? There are some good C's that will go in round 2 or possibly 3, and we should come out of this draft with one of them. We definitely can pick up a couple of guards in the mid to late rounds.

Last edited:
Tua at 5.
Becton, Wills, Wirfs, or Thomas at 18.
McKinney, Delpit, or Winfield at 26.
Swift or Dobbins at 39.
Jones, Ruiz, Niang, Wilson, Cleveland, or Peart at 56.
Davis, Dugger, or Chinn at 70.
Don’t trade up. Grab your franchise QB, two starting offensive linemen, your RB of the future, and your safety pairing for the next decade, all in one draft. This is the way.
I would love both the Georgia tackles. Thomas if he makes it to #18 and maybe Wilson as high as #39.

Agree on targeting a safety early. I'd get Dillon with pick #56 and establish a ground attack based on power.

I really like the theory ... but I don't know if the execution will work. IMHO, there's a top eschelon of OT's, and while it is likely that one falls to around 15 or so, it is very iffy whether one lasts until 18. At 26 it's a bit of a crapshoot on whether you will get a starting OT or not, and probably looking at 2nd tier guys at that point. There's a lot of conjecture, but the top tier of OT's looks to be some order of these guys: Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, and Mekhi Becton. Pick your style, each of them has their fans and detractors, none is a sure-fire prospect, but that's the top tier. Of that group, I'm hoping that Andrew Thomas drops ... he probably has the highest probability of success, but not quite the ceiling the other guys have. Higher floor, lower ceiling, which is why he might last until 18.

After that there's a drop off, and the second tier probably includes some ordering of: Ezra Cleveland, Isaiah Wilson, Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, and maybe Lucas Niang. Again, different strokes for different folks. Again, I like the guy who is least likely to bust, which is probably Ezra Cleveland. Let's face it, the Dolphins chances of finding an OT who does not bust, are low. So, I'm going to go with the solid choice over swinging for the fences along the OL.

Maybe we get a tier 1 guy at 18 ... probably we just miss out like we just missed out on Zack Thomas and had to settle for Ju'Wuan James ... remember him? Zero Pro Bowls, lots of injuries, drafted shortly after Zack Thomas the All-Pro guard. I see a similar scenario playing out at 18, so if we move up, it might be from 18 into around 13j-16 range to get a top tier OT.

At 26, we're likely going to keep that pick or trade back. We might get a second tier OT at 26, or we might be able to trade into early round 2 and get the same guy ... hard to tell. Those look like the options for getting a starting caliber OT in the 2020 season. Some other guys may develop over, but they'll be later in the draft.

Personally, I think we need to prioritize the OL a bit, but I'm only looking to add a LT (or same guy playing RT if we draft a leftie QB).

But there are a lot of other options, and maybe taking Xavier McKinney at 18 or 26 makes more sense? There are some good C's that will go in round 2 or possibly 3, and we should come out of this draft with one of them. We definitely can pick up a couple of guards in the mid to late rounds.
Great stuff. I hope Miami doesn't have to trade up for a quarterback. If the Dolphins can stay at #5 and land their guy, then I'd look to trade up for a tackle. Thomas would be my target perhaps dealing up to #13 with SF. I would wait until three tackles were off the board and then find a trade partner.

I agree with the OP on getting two tackles.

Great stuff. I hope Miami doesn't have to trade up for a quarterback. If the Dolphins can stay at #5 and land their guy, then I'd look to trade up for a tackle. Thomas would be my target perhaps dealing up to #13 with SF. I would wait until three tackles were off the board and then find a trade partner.

I agree with the OP on getting two tackles.
That sounds like a good strategy. LT's are hard to find, and if Thomas falls I will be very eager to add him, as he is the least likely to be the next Dolphin bust. I'm very intrigued by Becton, but he's had pass protection issues and has a high bust potential ... which is a bad recipe for the Dolphins. We can always use guards to generate the run game as long as we can protect the QB's back side.

Yes! Tua at 5, then trade up from 18 for either Wirfs or Wills to play RT and protect his blind side, then Jackson or Jones at 26

If I read the entirety of that thread I might only be halfway through by April 23rd.

Yea. I get ya.

But my lord. How many different ways can you debate the same thing?

Yes, Davie needs 2 bookends and well a reliable anchor.

The team needs two OT's but they don't need to get both of them in this Draft.

I would move up from 18 to ensure getting one of the top 4, assuming Miami likes any of them enough.

I would take another in this Draft if one I liked was on the board later but you could always target another next year.

This rebuild is not a one off season project.

I wanted to come out of this off season having addressed the LOS.

Miami added 2 DL plus Van Noy and 2 OL both of whom will start.

They will surely add one OT early in the Draft and perhaps another, or an Int OL.

They may be presented with an opportunity to add a quality DL as well.

Running back is an obvious need and I will be curious to see just how high they are willing to take one.

I would like to see at least 1 S added to the secondary and an explosive WR would be nice but that can wait.

As I see it, the rebuild is going pretty well and a strong Draft would put them in a position to target players next Draft since they will not have some many needs.

Wills is the OT that the FO seems to prefer but he might not get past the Giants at 4. There is a clear dropoff after the top 4 OT so they need to pick the best players available at 18 and 26. Swift would be pick at 26.

Back
Top Bottom