Tua being slighted among the future of AFC QBs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua being slighted among the future of AFC QBs

xSxPxHx

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score

They talk about the future of the AFC being the best of the best in terms of QB. One thing I notice is while the article is naming the QBs, the of course slight Tua.

"And Justin Herbert, how about Joe Burrow rehabbing," Smith continued. "It’s Mahomes, it’s Allen, it’s Jackson, it’s [Ryan] Tannehill, it’s Baker [Mayfield], it’s Tua [Tagovailoa], if you’re a believer in Tua. It’s Herbert, it’s Burrow, it’s Watson, it’s going to be Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields. There are so many teams with enviable QB positions, and that’s just the AFC."

It's poised to be one of the most talented, interesting conferences in terms of quarterbacks, maybe in the history of the NFL"

Good ole Dolphin slights.. here's to a fast offseason.

Given how Tua has looked in this small sample size, it’s hard to blame people for second guessing. He’s looked small, indecisive, and his arm hasn’t been on “full display”’ so to speak.

Physically he just doesn’t move the needle like Burrows or Herbert, so he is going to have to be Drew Brees special to be THAT guy. Not saying it won’t happen, but that is a tall task and he’s got a long way to go. Historically it is more likely to not happen than to pan out.

Last edited:
Given how Tua has looked in this small sample size, it’s hard to blame people for second guessing. He’s looked small, indecisive, and his arm hasn’t been ok “full display”’so to speak.

Physically he just doesn’t move the needle like Burrows or Herbert, so he is going to have to be Drew Brees special to be THAT guy. Not saying it won’t happen, but that’s is a tall task and he’s got a long way to go.

EXACTLY. :cheers:

You deserve this awesome .gif for that.
giphy.gif

It's on Tua.

He didn't look good in many instances this season, and physically there are serious question marks as far as his arm and lack of speed. I was/am very behind Tua coming out of Alabama, but you have to perform on the field at the next level. Period. The rest doesn't matter.

If he gets weapons, improves himself physically over the off-season, and then performs at a high level on the field all of the doubt will go away. If he doesn't, then it will have all been merited. End of the day it's on his plate.

Doesn't matter. Josh Allen wasn't mentioned in articles like this after his rookie year. Everybody thought Mayfield was the best out of that class.
Tua is not JA. Allen is far superior physically. Two totally different type of QBs.

It's not a good comparison, and if you are expecting Tua to play that style, you are going to be dissapointed.

If ppl wanted a big, tall, strong armed, Marino type QB, I'm sorry, that's not what we went with.

We went with the Doug Flutie or Drew Brees model.

Tua is not JA. Allen is far superior physically. Two totally different type of QBs.

It's not a good comparison, and if you are expecting Tua to play that style, you are going to be dissapointed.

If ppl wanted a big, tall, strong armed, Marino type QB, I'm sorry, that's not what we went with.

We went with the Doug Flutie or Drew Brees model.
Where did I mention styles? I'm not comparing them on how they play. I'm just pointing out people were ready to **** on Allen after his first year, I remember all the comments like he only had a strong arm but very inaccurate and will be a turnover machine.

Where did I mention styles? I'm not comparing them on how they play. I'm just pointing out people were ready to **** on Allen after his first year, I remember all the comments like he only had a strong arm but very inaccurate and will be a turnover machine.
I guess I just don't know what value the comparison has, then.

If all you are saying is you think he deserves more time, no need to bring Allen into it, at all.

The difference is, Allen had a chance to improve his accuracy, and read skills. Tua isn't going to learn to be 6'4, have a canon for an arm, or be the runner JA is.

I like Tua, but his situation isn't comparabe to JAs, as a rookie.

TT may end up having the elite mind, but will never have elite physical skills, and that limits hus ceiling. Ppl tout Brees as the comp, and that's fine. How many championships?

Last edited:
I guess I just don't know what value the comparison has, then.

If all you are saying is you think he deserves more time, no need to nrimg Allen into it, at all.

The difference is, Allen had a chance to improve his accuracy, and read skills. Tua isn't going to learn to be 6'4, have a canon for an arm, or be the runner JA is.

I like Tua, but his situation isn't comparabe to JAs, as a rookie.

TT may end up having the elite mind, but will never have elite physical skills, and that limits hus ceiling. Ppl tout Brees as the comp, and that's fine. How many championships?

one championship for Brees obviously. and 9 winning seasons in 14 years, 13-3 on four different occasions. in other words, respectability.

for a franchise as snake-bitten as ours, i'll take it.

Pretty remarkable what the AFC QB landscape might look like:

Pats - ?
BIlls = Allen
Dolphins - Tua
Jets - Darnold or Fields

Steelers - Ben (but for how long?)
Bengals - Burrow
Browns - Mayfield
Ravens - Jackson

Chiefs - Mahomes
Chargers - Herbert
Broncos - ?
Raiders - Carr

Titans - Tannehill
Texans - Watson
Jags - Lawrence
Colts - ?

Seems like the AFC has dominated the QB draft recently. Pretty soon, Tannehill and Carr will be the old me of the division. Would be really interesting if Luck came back to the Colts. That division would be stacked at QB. In the two Texans/Titans matchups, Watson and Tannehill combined for 14 TDs in the two games.

Also interesting to note that, unless something unusual happens, several of these young QBs will not work out.

one championship for Brees obviously. and 9 winning seasons in 14 years, 13-3 on four different occasions. in other words, respectability.

for a franchise as snake-bitten as ours, i'll take it.
Brees, during the latter part of his career, has been at the pinnacle of the mental part of the game, no doubt about it.

The fact is, though, that the overall success is also a function the coach and system.

We won10 games with a horrible, pick the reasons why, offense. I think we are going to be successful regardless of whether Tua is elite, or if he is even the QB in two years.

My point is, Brees is a needle in a haystack that was fortunate Sean Payton and he came together, at the right time.

I guess I am of the belief that Payton and Brees complimented each other, rather than one or the other being a "driving" force.

They talk about the future of the AFC being the best of the best in terms of QB. One thing I notice is while the article is naming the QBs, the of course slight Tua.

"And Justin Herbert, how about Joe Burrow rehabbing," Smith continued. "It’s Mahomes, it’s Allen, it’s Jackson, it’s [Ryan] Tannehill, it’s Baker [Mayfield], it’s Tua [Tagovailoa], if you’re a believer in Tua. It’s Herbert, it’s Burrow, it’s Watson, it’s going to be Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields. There are so many teams with enviable QB positions, and that’s just the AFC."

It's poised to be one of the most talented, interesting conferences in terms of quarterbacks, maybe in the history of the NFL"

Good ole Dolphin slights.. here's to a fast offseason.
How did they slight Tua? He is what he is -- just another Dolphins QB who couldn't win the big game to put the team into the playoffs. This is the NFL. You either win when it matters or you become somebody's backup.

Back
Top Bottom