Tua declares | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua declares

What???

You asked why Detroit might trade their pick.

I answered, because they need more than just the one player.

Where did this get confusing?

We'll see how well Grier/Flores can play the game.

If they do want Tua they need to make it sound like they are all in on Herbert so a team like the Chargers won't think they need to trade above Miami to get him. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Miami to put out there are willing to drop down a few picks to accumulate more draft picks with that 5th pick.

We'll see how well Grier/Flores can play the game.

If they do want Tua they need to make it sound like they are all in on Herbert so a team like the Chargers won't think they need to trade above Miami to get him. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Miami to put out there are willing to drop down a few picks to accumulate more draft picks with that 5th pick.

The Chargers, as a west coast team, may actually prefer Herbert or Eason... while I think they are a threat to trade up, I have seen no signs they covet Tua.

There’s is no need to trade up for Tua. No one is jumping us due to his durability issues.

I don't think he will be sitting there for the Dolphins at #5. I'm not going to ignore the recent trend. Trading up for first round quarterbacks is the rule, not the exception. Until last year's draft, every first round quarterback outside the top 3 picks since E.J. Manuel had been acquired by trade up.

Teams don't sit around and wait for the first round quarterback to fall to them. I realize the logic that Tua is an exception, and not worth a trade up gamble, due to health. But that aspect is offset by Tua's spectacular rating prior to this season and prior to injury. Many fans who react to every new detail are throwing that prior rating away. But organizations that calmly evaluate the big picture, and especially the astronomical value of the quarterback position, are not going to throw it away.

BTW, that stat of at least one first round Super Bowl quarterback automatically goes to 44 of 54 this season because every starting quarterback remaining in the AFC playoffs was drafted in the first round.

After watching Tom Brady's decline this season I'll be particularly interested to see if New England is willing to just sit there and allow everything dynasty to slip away. Detroit is an obvious trading partner for the Patriots since Matt Patricia would know the New England roster and which players he covets, along with draft picks.

And if Patricia has any aspirations of a fraction of Belichick-type career then he'll understand the worth of grabbing Tua for the Lions, regardless of having Stafford, who most likely continues to lead them nowhere.

Detroit could also play chicken with the Dolphins front office, similar to the Vernon Carey situation with the Vikings in 2004, by imagining or exaggerating their trading partners.

maybe a dumb question, but how does Tua fair in the weather? He is from Hawaii, a warm area. Played for Alabama, a warmish area.

Like if he went to a cold area (Detroit) would it affect him? As opposed to Miami, a warm area.

Because they are more than one player away?

So is MIA. So is every team in the top 10. Yet most of them won't trade out.

I actually believe there's a chance MIA does trade down to acquire even more picks, either in this draft or in the next.

So is MIA. So is every team in the top 10. Yet most of them won't trade out.

I actually believe there's a chance MIA does trade down to acquire even more picks, either in this draft or in the next.

That is exactly what I hope that they do.

In my ever so humble opinion... bad teams should almost always trade down if they can.

Most likely, Miami will have to trade up to pick #3 for Tua Tagovailoa.

I've been a big proponent of MIA drafting Tua. Well before the hip injury. And I'm still on board with it.

That said, I think I'd take the risk of some other team trading the assets needed to jump to #3 or #4 to take him ahead of MIA. In other words, call the bluff.

I'm not so certain someone will trade those kinds of assets for that kind of risk. I'm sure the Lions and/or Giants will hint that teams are inquiring. Because that's what the poker game is all about. But I'd call that hand.

If someone does take that risk, good for them. But if I was MIA, and as much as I would like to have Tua, I wouldn't risk assets beyond the #5 pick at this point. I think that's a large enough risk already considering the unknowns regarding his recovery.

If someone does trade up and take him, there will still be good players available to MIA at #5. And they can even trade down themselves to acquire another 1st and/or 2nd round pick or picks for 2021.

If more info comes out prior to April 23rd that is very encouraging re: his recovery progress, then that would certainly change the level of risk.

Bingo... Draft day is a high-stakes poker game. Sometimes your bluff works, sometimes it doesn't. Things happen... Tunsil drops into your lap and is flipped for two #1s and a #2 a couple of years later. Smart gamblers (G.M.s) don't fall into a defined rhythm because that is a 'tell' for the others at the table.

Back
Top Bottom