Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

Cherry pick one half of a game? Our PPG and 3rd down conversion % were higher w Fitz starting vs Tua. Just a fact.
Just a fact

one was a TO machine thru first 6 games and we had a 3~3 record - he left plays on the field points off the board so they made a change

I am guessing they don’t make a change if the above were not true

I will gladly Cherry pick the Seahawks game if necessary - points left off the board

Clearly The season and QB swapping was as much about the future as the present and only one will be here in the future

Just a fact

one was a TO machine thru first 6 games and we had a 3~3 record - he left plays on the field points off the board so they made a change

I will gladly Cherry pick the Seahawks game if necessary - points left off the board

Clearly The season and QB swapping was as much about the future as the present and only one will be here in the future
You dont have to cherry pick the Pats game. Fitz just lost it. Its that simple.

Just a fact

Look, I agreed w the change to Tua when they did. Fitz stinks. When we signed him I lost all interest in the season last year and wasn’t interested when he was named starter this year. It’s like how many times do I have to watch this movie that I never liked to begin with? I’m merely making a point that the offense moved the ball better w him than Tua as a whole. BUT - in no way shape or form did I want him playing other than yo come off of the bench when a raw rookie struggled. That’s it. I’m all in on Tua and developing him. So much so I don’t want to trade our next decade for Watson. Tua has to improve and my Fitz comparisons on PPG and 3rd down % are simply to dispel the notion that Tua gets a pass because of the team around him. Fitz had that same team - and as said forever, he stinks. I’ve also said that Tua’s development reminds me so much of how Shula handled Woodley (highest winning % QB in franchise history) w Strock off of the bench when he struggled. I had no problem w what Flores did and applauded it because coached don’t have the guts anymore to pull their star QB when they are having a bad game. Tua is my guy. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he has to improve at a lot of things. I believe he will. He showed some moxie and very good game management / situational awareness. Good signs.

Take a look at the 2nd throw in the video when Dan was in college and check out some of the live speed clips - like at the 4:20 mark to Duper vs the Jets. That ball is downfield from release to reception faster than I’ve ever seen.

What does that have to do with release time? Once again, release time is what was being discussed. From the time Tua c*cks his arm to throw until the time it leaves his hand is as fast as just about anyone who has ever played the position. That's all the op was saying.

Look, I agreed w the change to Tua when they did. Fitz stinks. When we signed him I lost all interest in the season last year and wasn’t interested when he was named starter this year. It’s like how many times do I have to watch this movie that I never liked to begin with? I’m merely making a point that the offense moved the ball better w him than Tua as a whole. BUT - in no way shape or form did I want him playing other than yo come off of the bench when a raw rookie struggled. That’s it. I’m all in on Tua and developing him. So much so I don’t want to trade our next decade for Watson. Tua has to improve and my Fitz comparisons on PPG and 3rd down % are simply to dispel the notion that Tua gets a pass because of the team around him. Fitz had that same team - and as said forever, he stinks. I’ve also said that Tua’s development reminds me so much of how Shula handled Woodley (highest winning % QB in franchise history) w Strock off of the bench when he struggled. I had no problem w what Flores did and applauded it because coached don’t have the guts anymore to pull their star QB when they are having a bad game. Tua is my guy. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he has to improve at a lot of things. I believe he will. He showed some moxie and very good game management / situational awareness. Good signs.
Yes there were good signs I would say the cup is half full ~ I would say that Fitz's trust in the Gesikis and Parkers was much higher and that is why his numbers are higher even after he was demoted. The Offense was a train wreck with Jakeem Grant and not Preston W

As far as Tua but I am not remotely worried because the skill players are going to be turned over he will get all the necessary reps and his body will a year older in man strength

Tua will be better

Skill=players will get a day one of training camp infusion

The Oline will be better it can only go up with this crew

Should they pass on Sewell and i think there is something good in Jackson, the Oline is still not complete

The Oline needs a draft pick to help push them ALL ~ Nothing given always earned ~ Too much was handed out to them (snaps) this past season ~ I like to see competition for reps

What does that have to do with release time? Once again, release time is what was being discussed. From the time Tua c*cks his arm to throw until the time it leaves his hand is as fast as just about anyone who has ever played the position. That's all the op was saying.
I guess I’m looking at it as a multi-factor thing. There is the release time, the distance said release can propel that ball, the accuracy of the throw and the ability to see the open man and hit him. I don’t know if Tua is anywhere near Dan w / respect to the first two. In the eyeball test (unscientific) Marino got the ball from his arm to a receiver 40 yards downfield before you could say “wow”. I have not seen that from Tua yet. The ball comes fast out but his YPA was really low. If his release is truly that fast AND he can make the right reads / hit the right guys he’s going to be very successful. But just looking at release time in a vacuum may not mean much if you can’t do the other things well. It’s like stating that Jakeem Grant is faster than Mark Clayton was. Ok, but that alone doesn’t mean much. I’m not trying to bash Tua. Just not sure I get the point of the original statement.

Yes there were good signs I would say the cup is half full ~ I would say that Fitz's trust in the Gesikis and Parkers was much higher and that is why his numbers are higher even after he was demoted. The Offense was a train wreck with Jakeem Grant and not Preston W

As far as Tua but I am not remotely worried because the skill players are going to be turned over he will get all the necessary reps and his body will a year older in man strength

Tua will be better

Skill=players will get a day one of training camp infusion

The Oline will be better it can only go up with this crew

Should they pass on Sewell and i think there is something good in Jackson, the Oline is still not complete

The Oline needs a draft pick to help push them ALL ~ Nothing given always earned ~ Too much was handed out to them (snaps) this past season ~ I like to see competition for reps
Very good points on Fitz having more trust / comfort throwing those floaters to Parker and Gesicki. That probably did make all the difference. At the same time, that style isn’t sustainable which is one reason Fitz throws so many picks i imagine. I really hope we go mostly skill guys in the draft. We need some dynamic players on O.

You've been reading the threads over the past week, right? I'm sure you've seen the countless times someone has posted an article/tweet/whatever saying that Tua doesn't have any elite "skills" and then as examples bring up arm strength or athleticism with his feet as if those are the only QB skills on the planet Earth.

All this is, is showing that his elite release is absolutely an elite "skill". Marino is on there as a comparison because he's well regarded as having one of the fastest released of any QB. If he wasn't there, I'd absolutely bet you at least one person would have asked, "Yeah, but how fast is it compared to Marino?" This isn't the "great unknown" because this isn't comparing them overall as a QB, just one particular facet.

Someone posted a thread with some interesting insight and instead of appreciating something about the QB of the team you follow and the additional content when we're already in the offseason, a lot of people decided to pretend like he committed sacrilege instead and legit got angry. Stop the fanboi nonsense is all I'm saying because it's completely embarrassing.

People need to grow up.
I knew I'd get backlash for this post tbh, but the more I think about it, the less I care. Yes the board is divided right now, but thats not my problem. If posting a thread about an elite(maybe all time elite) trait your top 5 pick rookie has is frowned upon, then what the hell am I doing here anyway.

I always try to post insightful stuff thats outside of the framework of popular discussion at any given time. Like you said, I didnt compare Tua to Marino because Tua is the rookie and Marino is the best QB the Fins ever had, it was because Marino is legit viewed as the QB with the quickest release all time, and he also happens to have played for the Fins.

Im baffled by the fact people are getting pissed at this... I legit hope the Fins never end up 15-0 going into week 17 in the future... God forbid you should root for the Fins to win game 16 and **** all over the 72 team...

Anyhow, this was a positive thread and I dont care if it gets a certain fraction upset. I hope Tua ends up better than Dan Marino, that'd be awesome(no matter how unlikely it is), I also hope the Fins next RB ends up better than Ricky, I hope the next DE is better than Taylor, next LB better than Thomas... These are all good things if they happen.

That's a false narrative: Washington paid a Kings Ransom to move up to snatch RG3. Philly traded up significant resources to draft Wentz. We can also throw in Goff who went #1 .

Sorry but a perceived generational QB does not go #5 in the draft. The forementioned failings are much more disappointing than the spotty first year Tua performance!

Wentz, Goff, RG3, Aikman, Young etc did not come off debilitating, potentially career-limiting injuries to post one or two years of at best mediocre results vs Tua.

Next season, providing there's a training camp will be a true test for Tua after now seeing he can take hits and hopefully his repaired hip will afford him more movement latitude and zip on the ball (which already has been shown to be more than acceptable.)

Until then, Tua's first year compares favorably to some of those QBs who have gone on to be great and hopefully his upward angle of career trajectory will pass Wentz's and Goff's on their way down.
That's not a false narrative at all. While RG3 and Wentz were very good prospects people of course spoke highly of them, neither of them came out with as much Hype as Tua did. Not even close. Its no one else but Washington's fault for how much they game up for RG3. They felt he was that kind of talent but the national sports writers and analysts nmdid not speak of him/them like that. And we both know why Tua fell to 5.

But yes, next year will be the ultimate test for Tua. I hope he can improve drastically and show us he's a real qb who deserves to be in the league, otherwise im afraid we will be in another QB kunundgrem <<< (no idea how to spell that word!! Haha) for the foreseeable future. Good thing we have Flo. I really have faith in him to manage this thing right this time.

Last edited:
The Tua debate has developed into groups who are pro Tua- who still think he is an elite prospect vs. anti- Tua who thinks he is already a bust and wont ever be good. Then there a few of us who are trying to be somewhere in the middle and trying to be more objective and level headed.
Tua was certainly hampered by terrible WR play and pretty bad play calling. Cant blame Tua for that and the coaches need to do better.
But to ignore Tua's obvious shortcomings that alot of us didnt see is also wrong- his lack of size and strength physically. his average arm strength and his inaccuracy throwing in alot of situations. Plus his pocket presence and ability to create throws was mediocre at best.

They simply need to create a different offense than the one they put him in last year. Get better skill players, better offensive schemes and play calling and I think Tua will be good. If not then you move on.

I knew I'd get backlash for this post tbh, but the more I think about it, the less I care. Yes the board is divided right now, but thats not my problem. If posting a thread about an elite(maybe all time elite) trait your top 5 pick rookie has is frowned upon, then what the hell am I doing here anyway.

I always try to post insightful stuff thats outside of the framework of popular discussion at any given time. Like you said, I didnt compare Tua to Marino because Tua is the rookie and Marino is the best QB the Fins ever had, it was because Marino is legit viewed as the QB with the quickest release all time, and he also happens to have played for the Fins.

Im baffled by the fact people are getting pissed at this... I legit hope the Fins never end up 15-0 going into week 17 in the future... God forbid you should root for the Fins to win game 16 and **** all over the 72 team...

Anyhow, this was a positive thread and I dont care if it gets a certain fraction upset. I hope Tua ends up better than Dan Marino, that'd be awesome(no matter how unlikely it is), I also hope the Fins next RB ends up better than Ricky, I hope the next DE is better than Taylor, next LB better than Thomas... These are all good things if they happen.

I kind of take offense to this post, how can you ignore Csonka and go straight to Ricky as the best running back we've ever had. Next thing you know you are going to be saying that you hope Smith is better than Larry Shannon as our greatest wr of all time :-(

Back
Top Bottom