Tua is 7-3 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua is 7-3

Very hard for me to understand how folks can watch a 23-year old QB go on the road against a projected playoff team for his first ever season-opening start and win, then conclude he doesn’t have what it takes and the team should move on.

I can’t even argue with it because it’s so far beyond anything I can understand.

I also think ppl need to calm down a little. Yes everyone is caught up with the exceptions for young qbs who are throwing a ton of yards and td and not like a young qb that's a game manager. That doesn't mean a qb can't develop to franchise qb and top qb. I was just thinking about one of the the best qbs in the league, a veteran but Russel Wilson. Do ppl remember the first 3 years or first 2? The offense was not put on Wilson but beast mode and it was staunch defense that won the games.

He played the role to make passes, not many and make runs with his legs, but really beast mode to power through. The first super bowl win was a dominant defense and marshawn lynch taking over. He was complimentary to the dominant ground game. But as you saw, over time it became less dependent on the run and Wilson developed enough where offense was carried by his passing and he's been and is still a franchise qb. But early in his career, especially first two seasons, he was more in the game manager role. Tua will get better but some qbs become good or great at different paces. It's really about if that person becomes good in the first place.

Look at the bright side . . . NE and BUF are 0-1. AFC-E competition. And AFC competition for a WC . . . CLE, IND, TEN lost. And either LV or BAL will lose tonight. And Miami's 1st 2 games are against good Ds and top OLs. Won't see that every week.

TT had some good streaks, but some bad ones. OL didn't help. Excluding Waddle and DVP, I didn't see the separation most here expected of receivers. OTOH, Gaskins looked better than anticipated. Overall, D and O looked sloppy.

He needs to get alot better to compete in the AFC. The team around him is not good enough right.
Stating a QB record is nice but this is team game that involves many factors.
Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Super Bowls.
Tua might be a decent game manager and can win games if the team is loaded in all areas. I doubt if he ever will be a QB that can carry a team in 45-41 game to victory. His skills are just not at that level.

Look at the bright side . . . NE and BUF are 0-1. AFC-E competition. And AFC competition for a WC . . . CLE, IND, TEN lost. And either LV or BAL will lose tonight. And Miami's 1st 2 games are against good Ds and top OLs. Won't see that every week.

TT had some good streaks, but some bad ones. OL didn't help. Excluding Waddle and DVP, I didn't see the separation most here expected of receivers. OTOH, Gaskins looked better than anticipated. Overall, D and O looked sloppy.
Fuller will be back next week so hopefully that will help too. Be nice to have more speed to pair with waddle on the field

Very hard for me to understand how folks can watch a 23-year old QB go on the road against a projected playoff team for his first ever season-opening start and win, then conclude he doesn’t have what it takes and the team should move on.

I can’t even argue with it because it’s so far beyond anything I can understand.
people forget too, sometimes your franchise qbs start out as game managers and then develop into franchise qbs. People develop at their own pace, it doesn't mean one will end up greater than the other, but some are quicker learners. I look at the ceiling and progression to it, and final product. Not who maxes out their potential faster. It would be nice to go that way, but it's the end result most important to me. Like I said, Russel Wilson was a game manager the first 3 years of his career and then look how he became the franchise, gun slinging qb who can carry the hawks on his shoulder and take them to playoffs and far too. And he's still balling out

And pats are known to not just make young qbs have mediocre games but bad games. Tua wasn't perfect but he played decent for a young qb at new england vs Bill B's defense that makes young talented qbs have games where they are ineffective or make a ton of turnovers

Including 2-0 against the Cheaters, 1 in each house!

For the record I’m not giving him all the credit, but it is what it is.
Thats worth double points so its really like Tua is 14-6 overall

people forget too, sometimes your franchise qbs start out as game managers and then develop into franchise qbs. People develop at their own pace, it doesn't mean one will end up greater than the other, but some are quicker learners. I look at the ceiling and progression to it, and final product. Not who maxes out their potential faster. It would be nice to go that way, but it's the end result most important to me. Like I said, Russel Wilson was a game manager the first 3 years of his career and then look how he became the franchise, gun slinging qb who can carry the hawks on his shoulder and take them to playoffs and far too. And he's still balling out
Completely agree. And it’s not just Russ.

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Josh Allen, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning—all these guys were game managers averaging well under 250 yards per game passing for multiple years early in their career before breaking out and becoming Hall of Fame caliber gunslingers spreading the ball around.

The Dan Marino’s and Aaron Rodgers’s and Patrick Mahomes’s of the world are few and far between even amongst elite QBs. Lots of elite QBs take years to progress from game manager dinking and dunking their way to wins to centerpiece of the offense throwing the ball all over the field for 300 yards a game.

Tua is 23 years old and winning meaningful games behind a young, crappy offensive line with no real rushing attack. If he can keep doing that until he’s 25 or 26 with three-plus years of game experience and a good offensive line, he may well be ready to be a superstar chucking the ball all over the field at that point.

Patience is the name of the game so long as we’re winning. Build the team around him, keep stacking up Ws, and let’s see whether Tua’s moving in the right or wrong direction in 8 games, then 16 games, then 24 games.

If you’re waiting on a 23 year old QB who’ll play like an All Pro, we’re going to be waiting a long, long, long time. For all the Justin Herbert love, he averaged fewer yards per attempt than Tua yesterday and nearly lost to Taylor Heinicke.

The 7-3 record needs some context to it. The Phins have a very good opportunistic defense, a below average OL, and good skill position players. A losing record with that context would be strong black mark. Most QBs would be expected to have at least a even record with my three statements above. Is 7-3 significantly better than 5-5? Maybe. The boy does not even have a full season of starts. Let’s give him at least 6 more games.

Back
Top Bottom