Tua is 7-3 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua is 7-3

Look at the bright side . . . NE and BUF are 0-1. AFC-E competition. And AFC competition for a WC . . . CLE, IND, TEN lost. And either LV or BAL will lose tonight. And Miami's 1st 2 games are against good Ds and top OLs. Won't see that every week.

TT had some good streaks, but some bad ones. OL didn't help. Excluding Waddle and DVP, I didn't see the separation most here expected of receivers. OTOH, Gaskins looked better than anticipated. Overall, D and O looked sloppy.
I can get behind this. We were gifted one yesterday, let's take advantage of it!

I give this guy more crap then anyone. But a friend of mine gave me this stat and it did bring me back to earth a little bit. Wins mean more then anything. I know a lot more goes into this stat but still. Got to give him a little love on this. I feel humbled.
Actually, playoff wins mean more than anything.

The 7-3 record needs some context to it. The Phins have a very good opportunistic defense, a below average OL, and good skill position players. A losing record with that context would be strong black mark. Most QBs would be expected to have at least a even record with my three statements above. Is 7-3 significantly better than 5-5? Maybe. The boy does not even have a full season of starts. Let’s give him at least 6 more games.
This is true today, but I’d disagree that the Dolphins had good skill position players for Tua’s first 10 starts. I think we had one of the worst WR/RB groups in the league last year, and we were without 2 of our top 5 WRs yesterday (Fuller / Williams). So I think he’s compiled his current record basically with a good defense and a bad offense around him.

I’m sorry I was a game off and in the thread title as I was still overly excited from the victory, and sorry it was “off putting” to some with their pinky’s up. Guess I am looking ahead to next week😬
I guess all I was trying to say is behind all the BS he seems to be a winner so far in his career. I will take it.

Tua played fine today, not great but both QBs played winning football. Solomon Kindley tried to f*** us but X saves the day.
I almost agree. Mac Jones did not make a single play down the field. You have to do that to win games. Even the early 70’s fins who could run it on almost every down knew they had to get Warfield involved to win consistently. Tua made some downfield plays. Jones did not. That was a factor in the game.

At the end of the day, it is the W that matters. Anyone know off the top of their heads who the winningest QB in franchise history is?

Marino? Griese? Tannehill? Nope.

Clocking in with a combined regular and post season record of 30-14-1 over 4 seasons it’s David Woodley. Yep, he won ugly. He made plays when he had to. We can say “yeah well it was the defense and run game more than him” but guess what? Before Tom Brady was anything more than a game manager, he had 3 SB rings on teams that won w defense and running. Point is, we are winning with Tua and he’s still not a polished NFL product. At 7-3 he’s off to a good start. At some point, we’ll stop caring about “how” we win as long as are winning.

Completely agree. And it’s not just Russ.

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Josh Allen, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning—all these guys were game managers averaging well under 250 yards per game passing for multiple years early in their career before breaking out and becoming Hall of Fame caliber gunslingers spreading the ball around.

The Dan Marino’s and Aaron Rodgers’s and Patrick Mahomes’s of the world are few and far between even amongst elite QBs. Lots of elite QBs take years to progress from game manager dinking and dunking their way to wins to centerpiece of the offense throwing the ball all over the field for 300 yards a game.

Tua is 23 years old and winning meaningful games behind a young, crappy offensive line with no real rushing attack. If he can keep doing that until he’s 25 or 26 with three-plus years of game experience and a good offensive line, he may well be ready to be a superstar chucking the ball all over the field at that point.

Patience is the name of the game so long as we’re winning. Build the team around him, keep stacking up Ws, and let’s see whether Tua’s moving in the right or wrong direction in 8 games, then 16 games, then 24 games.

If you’re waiting on a 23 year old QB who’ll play like an All Pro, we’re going to be waiting a long, long, long time. For all the Justin Herbert love, he averaged fewer yards per attempt than Tua yesterday and nearly lost to Taylor Heinicke.
The problem is ppl are comparing tua to herbert, but herbert is the exception than the rule. Only a few come out the gates, Dan Marino, and Herbert? Even mahomes like you said sat behind Alex smith his first year and Rodgers was sitting for 2 or 3 years while Favre was still playing before Rodgers came in. People aren't listening to this long last time words of wisdom "Comparison is the thief of joy". This isn't some cute quote. These are real life true words. This is very true. I know it's hard to not get very concerned by comparing and I know in sports it seems necessary. It doesn't mean to be blind to another's performance, but it's all because herbert had the rare season and exception that such flack has come at tua. Most other years, a last year would not be seen as a horrible year by tua, but typical or even pretty good season for a young qb. When many rookie qbs are even with td int ratio or often throw more picks than tds. "Comparison is the thief of joy"

With respect. Herbert is a better pure QB (passer) at this point then Tua. Just as Marino was a better pure QB (passer) then Brady or Montana. Not accounting for teams/coaching/OL/Defense/Running game etc. Tua may very well be more successful overall and win us multiple Lombardi trophies and never be the pure passer that Herbert is. I don't understand why we can't all agree that both of them have strengths and weaknesses and that both are quality young men on and off the field.

people forget too, sometimes your franchise qbs start out as game managers and then develop into franchise qbs. People develop at their own pace, it doesn't mean one will end up greater than the other, but some are quicker learners. I look at the ceiling and progression to it, and final product. Not who maxes out their potential faster. It would be nice to go that way, but it's the end result most important to me. Like I said, Russel Wilson was a game manager the first 3 years of his career and then look how he became the franchise, gun slinging qb who can carry the hawks on his shoulder and take them to playoffs and far too. And he's still balling out

Russell Wilson was making elite plays his first three years. Thats a TERRIBLE comparison with no basis in reality.

Those of us who support him recognize that he is young and still learning to play the QB position in the NFL. While having to play behind a bad OL and with no real rushing game to threaten the defense. He also had little or no practice time with a lot of his receivers in training camp because of their many injuries.

For those who want any QB but Tua, they don’t care about anything but Tua isn’t good enough for them. To those individuals all the problems on the offense are his fault and they will all go away if the Dolphins trade 10 draft picks to bring in the QB they prefer.

I will freely admit I support Tua as the teams QB but I still don’t know if he is the long term answer because he hasn’t played enough for me to make that determination. I hope he is the answer for the Dolphins long term but how he plays the rest of this season will give us a clearer answer about his future with the Dolphins.

As for now, I just accept that the anti-Tua crowd is going to continue to hate on him and rejoice in every mistake he makes. I believe they hate having to root for Tua more than they like rooting for the Dolphins. It doesn’t make sense to me as a fan since 1966, but it is what it is.
I think your perception of the critics of Tua are off base for the majority of critics.

I believe the majority wish he was a franchise QB and that he played like one, I don’t believe they root against him, rather, just the opposite!

It’s obvious he’s not a big, strong armed QB but we all hope quick decision making and accuracy will make up for that!

What worries me most is not that he doesn’t protect the football most of the time…but his propensity to make a bad unnecessary turnover at bad times. I think back to some of the big games from college in these regards…..

With respect. Herbert is a better pure QB (passer) at this point then Tua. Just as Marino was a better pure QB (passer) then Brady or Montana. Not accounting for teams/coaching/OL/Defense/Running game etc. Tua may very well be more successful overall and win us multiple Lombardi trophies and never be the pure passer that Herbert is. I don't understand why we can't all agree that both of them have strengths and weaknesses and that both are quality young men on and off the field.
I honestly think it’s too early to even say this. Herbert clearly has more arm talent. But they’re both still so early in their careers. Herbert may end up being the next Matt Stafford or Carson Palmer or David Carr, or anywhere in between. Tua may end up being the next Drew Brees or Russell Wilson or RG3, or anywhere in between. I don’t think we know yet which of the two will end up a better pure passer.

I continue to have doubts about Herbert. He gets media credit for a big Week One because he threw for 337 yards and won, but he averaged fewer yards per attempt than Tua (7.5 to 7.2), his team scored the same amount of touchdowns (2), and he turned it over twice to Tua’s once. He just threw it 47 times. Had he not been playing a team led by Taylor Heinicke, that’s probably a losing formula.

Tua has thrown 30+ times in a game three times in his NFL career. He’s averaging 324 passing yards on over 61% completion in those three games. We’ve also gone 1-2 in those three games. To me, it feels like a lot of people would be a lot higher on Tua if he were throwing for 325 yards a game and we were losing, and that just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Russell Wilson was making elite plays his first three years. Thats a TERRIBLE comparison with no basis in reality.
no it's not. Elite plays for 15 passes per game? Team was relying on beast mode and defense not him. If he was so great, they'd have him throw much more. He wasn't ready for that, but game manager at the time which he developed to a franchise qb from there. Oh yeah and RG3 made elite plays his rookie season too and then we see how that went ha. When a qb passes so few times, elite plays don't mean too much as not much is asked. It meant something because russel wilson had it to be a franchise qb, but RG3 made great plays and seemed to be a good qb and then that injury and it went downhill from that. Russel Wilson was not treated as a franchise qb until 2 to 3 years later, he was a game manager.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom