Tua is 7-3 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua is 7-3

no it's not. Elite plays for 15 passes per game? Team was relying on beast mode and defense not him. If he was so great, they'd have him throw much more. He wasn't ready for that, but game manager at the time which he developed to a franchise qb from there. Oh yeah and RG3 made elite plays his rookie season too and then we see how that went ha. When a qb passes so few times, elite plays don't mean too much as not much is asked. It meant something because russel wilson had it to be a franchise qb, but RG3 made great plays and seemed to be a good qb and then that injury and it went downhill from that. Russel Wilson was not treated as a franchise qb until 2 to 3 years later, he was a game manager.

The number of plays has nothing to do with the type of plays you are capable of making.

Wilson year one was manipulating the pocket and creating plays not every QB can make.

Also part of that was just philosophy. Its only in the last year or two Pete has allowed Wilson to be like other "Franchise" guys, and he stills holds back sometimes. If they had that same team, while I'm sure he would throw more than 15 times now, it wouldn't be 30 or 40.

I give this guy more crap then anyone. But a friend of mine gave me this stat and it did bring me back to earth a little bit. Wins mean more then anything. I know a lot more goes into this stat but still. Got to give him a little love on this. I feel humbled.
7-3 but your take is correct. Isn’t it amusing how all the Tua haters and stat nerds on this board gleefully spout out all the stats except one, and the only stat that really matters.

1-0

I also think ppl need to calm down a little. Yes everyone is caught up with the exceptions for young qbs who are throwing a ton of yards and td and not like a young qb that's a game manager. That doesn't mean a qb can't develop to franchise qb and top qb. I was just thinking about one of the the best qbs in the league, a veteran but Russel Wilson. Do ppl remember the first 3 years or first 2? The offense was not put on Wilson but beast mode and it was staunch defense that won the games.

He played the role to make passes, not many and make runs with his legs, but really beast mode to power through. The first super bowl win was a dominant defense and marshawn lynch taking over. He was complimentary to the dominant ground game. But as you saw, over time it became less dependent on the run and Wilson developed enough where offense was carried by his passing and he's been and is still a franchise qb. But early in his career, especially first two seasons, he was more in the game manager role. Tua will get better but some qbs become good or great at different paces. It's really about if that person becomes good in the first place.
I think it’s a little disingenuous to use the term “game manager.” That is typically a derogatory term which has a connotation that a QB is incapable of making all the throws. That’s BS. We saw all the throws from Tua week one. Tua can definitely make all the throws, but his OC is all about winning games and not always having flashy fantasy stats. He will have a few big fantasy games, but we aren’t playing fantasy football folks. Like Russell Wilson, Tua is a winner and a leader and will do whatever it takes to win. Btw Tua doesn’t call his own plays so if you don’t like the offense that’s not Tua’s problem. He just runs the plays as called. So many armchair QB experts who’ve never played the game, except their FF team and of course XBox.

What worries me most is not that he doesn’t protect the football most of the time…but his propensity to make a bad unnecessary turnover at bad times. I think back to some of the big games from college in these regards…..

Outside his Flutie moment as a freshman, Tua had his three worst games in three of Bama's biggest games.

SEC Champ vs UGA
vs LSU
Nat Champ vs Clemson

He was so bad vs UGA (10-25 2int) he got benched (injury?)
He turned the ball over twice in the first half vs LSU and was down 20 at the half.
He had two ints including a pick six vs Clemson and got routed 44-16.

In those three games, Tua completed 53% of his passes with 7 TDs and 5 INTs, 2 fumbles and a pick six.

His opposing QBs (Fromm, Burrow, Lawrence) completed 70% of their passes with 9 TDs and 0 INTs.

Last edited:
Outside his Flutie moment as a freshman, Tua had his three worst games in three of Bama's biggest games.

SEC Champ vs UGA
vs LSU
Nat Champ vs Clemson

He was so bad vs UGA (10-25 2int) he got benched (injury?)
He turned the ball over twice in the first half vs LSU and was down 20 at the half.
He had two ints including a pick six vs Clemson and got routed 44-16.

In those three games, Tua completed 53% of his passes with 7 TDs and 5 INTs, 2 fumbles and a pick six.

His opposing QBs (Fromm, Burrow, Lawrence) completed 70% of their passes with 9 TDs and 0 INTs.
You hit the exact moments I was referring too….

Probably throws another game sealing INT if he doesn't get his facemask yanked.

I'll never understand the hate for Fitz.

If Tua wasn't a steaming pile of horse **** last season we win those games without Fitz anyway.

Fitz was far and away the better QB last year.

And again I don't dislike Tua or think he's terrible, but the fact is he was BAD last season. There were a lot of factors that pointed to a veteran doing better in in our situation last year,, more than usual, so its not a huge deal.

I'll never understand the hate for Fitz.

If Tua wasn't a steaming pile of horse **** last season we win those games without Fitz anyway.

Fitz was far and away the better QB last year.

And again I don't dislike Tua or think he's terrible, but the fact is he was BAD last season. There were a lot of factors that pointed to a veteran doing better in in our situation last year,, more than usual, so its not a huge deal.
He wasn’t bad. He had bad games and good games And “decent” games. Not out of the ordinary for most rookies

But But But those 8 wins were "ugly!" Soooo....it doesn't count. Right?

No, but context matters.

1) Fitzpatrick came in and won the Raiders game. Tua gets the W because he started, but Fitz won it.

2) Then there are games where did basically nothing but still gets credit for the W. Think about the Pats game last year. Miami’s rushing offense put up 250(!!) yards on NE. Tua had a 11 completions, a 45 QBR, 0 TD’s and 1 INT. Are we going to pretend that Tua had something to do with that win??

Another is the win against the Rams. Defense/ST’s accounted for 14 points. Take those away (because Tua doesn’t play defense or ST) and he has another loss. Tua struggled to move the ball that day. 13 drives and only 2 ended in scores. Context matters.

3) Its tough to use record as a QB statistic with a small sample size because it doesn’t take into consideration whether the player had anything to do with the win. Heck, even guys like Fiedler have a great record. 36-23.

Last edited:
anybody got a good streaming link, want to watch Thursday Night Football, on Vacation, and not on TV here?

7-3 but your take is correct. Isn’t it amusing how all the Tua haters and stat nerds on this board gleefully spout out all the stats except one, and the only stat that really matters.

1-0
How about these guys above ⬆️ jumping up and down on Tua’s crotch because he couldn’t win every single game he started in College??

Huge MD fans they say lol

Back
Top Bottom