Tua next guest on Tyreek's podcast | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua next guest on Tyreek's podcast

That's awesome you were a scout
While I did work as a scout a long time ago, I didn't scout Tua as a professional. That was just me trying to form an opinion about the potential QBs for Miami. And since I am not a fan of Alabama football I had never watched Tua play. I obviously drew upon my past experience, but I didn't want to think I was scouting Tua for an organization or an agent.

While I did work as a scout a long time ago, I didn't scout Tua as a professional. That was just me trying to form an opinion about the potential QBs for Miami. And since I am not a fan of Alabama football I had never watched Tua play. I obviously drew upon my past experience, but I didn't want to think I was scouting Tua for an organization or an agent.
I can't stand Alabama because of Nick Saben but I I'll take their players

Imo… there are traits where he makes the right read and doesn’t put his foot in his mouth and then there are times where I still see a kid.

Personally and I said this his rookie year, he’s not ready to start for a Myriad of reasons, one of those being he doesn’t feel comfortable taking the job from a vet not messing vet players
Really agree with the first point. "NFL is easy comes to mind". Even though the context was confused.

He did seem nervous, they didn't do a very good job of asking questions to get him warmed up.

"Tell us about growing up and tell us about the Dolphins this year".

The art to podcasts is good question asking. IMO.

Family matters to him. Well he is getting love from Reek, McDaniel, etc. That's a positive for sure.

They pulled two rabits out of thier hat for TA and 10.

He seems honest, maybe over shares a little. I like his story about being the Silent Assasin.

That is exactly what he is doing, let all the haters talk and then feed them thier words.

He has the talent and if he can just play his game this year he should be very successful. Idgaf if he's 22/28 250 2tds.

Those types of performances with a running game and our D will be ideal.

We need him to be efficient AF. Not throw 350+ and 4tds every week.

Kid is going to establish and then get better. He has no other option.

You think Tua isnt ready to start right now?
I think a couple things I stated predraft are taking their time in his evolution.

I thought his physical condition was poor coning out of college, and I thought he was the type that had to see it in the field to learn it..

So basically not a gym or classroom rat

Pretty sure those were the cases, but you asked me if he’s ready to start..

Yes, mos def..he needs to assert himself now from a leadership standpoint and a knowledge standpoint..I think Tyreek is trying to get him to lead..

You know he’s just a different cat from the way he way he was raised..

He needs to shed some skin, get pissed off and lead his offense..

When I scouted Tua at Alabama I saw the most aggressive QB I'd ever seen in college. He wasn't a trash talker, but he was definitely an assassin.

And I personally don't make just surface evaluations or make player comparisons as a prediction that a player will be as good as another. But when you evaluate traits you have to show traits from players that people will recognize. And if the traits match, they match. I find it silly when people can't understand that about evaluations.
Would you use words "assassin", and use two first ballot HOF players as references when you filed reports with your employer?

That is the impression you put out there. Thanks for clarifying.

When I scouted Tua at Alabama I saw the most aggressive QB I'd ever seen in college. He wasn't a trash talker, but he was definitely an assassin.

And I personally don't make just surface evaluations or make player comparisons as a prediction that a player will be as good as another. But when you evaluate traits you have to show traits from players that people will recognize. And if the traits match, they match. I find it silly when people can't understand that about evaluations.
There is a difference between using a player comp to demonstrate a measurable trait and using one for an intangible, IMO. One is a direct reference to a physical attribute. The other is just a projected opinion. The problem with the latter is that all situations are not equal. Would a QB (any QB) have the same numbers and approach playing for Central Michigan as at Alabama? Obviously not. The talent level difference at the NFL level is so much smaller than that of the collegiate game makes "intangibles" a risky proposition to project. As a former scout, you know this to be true.

Just look at the two goats you used as references. Jordan was one of the best players in the league the day he waked into an NBA locker room. By year three he was widely seen as the future of the league. Brady, on the other hand was barely seen as draftable, and had he gone to any other franchise, most likely doesn't have anywhere near the career he had at NE, if not out of the league in a couple years. While he had some success at Michigan in key moments, coming back from deficits, etc, nobody saw him as a great prospect in any sense.

I guess my point is that projecting things like "killer instinct", or an innate ability to win almost through sheer will at a high rate is so rare and hit or miss that it is just fan hype until it actually happens at the professional level.

Who thought Montana was elite? Everybody thought Andre Ware was going to set the league on fire. Who really knows for sure? Intangibles can't be accurately evaluated prior to showing themselves at the NFL level, IMO.

There is a difference between using a player comp to demonstrate a measurable trait and using one for an intangible, IMO. One is a direct reference to a physical attribute. The other is just a projected opinion. The problem with the latter is that all situations are not equal. Would a QB (any QB) have the same numbers and approach playing for Central Michigan as at Alabama? Obviously not. The talent level difference at the NFL level is so much smaller than that of the collegiate game makes "intangibles" a risky proposition to project. As a former scout, you know this to be true.

Just look at the two goats you used as references. Jordan was one of the best players in the league the day he waked into an NBA locker room. By year three he was widely seen as the future of the league. Brady, on the other hand was barely seen as draftable, and had he gone to any other franchise, most likely doesn't have anywhere near the career he had at NE, if not out of the league in a couple years. While he had some success at Michigan in key moments, coming back from deficits, etc, nobody saw him as a great prospect in any sense.

I guess my point is that projecting things like "killer instinct", or an innate ability to win almost through sheer will at a high rate is so rare and hit or miss that it is just fan hype until it actually happens at the professional level.

Who thought Montana was elite? Everybody thought Andre Ware was going to set the league on fire. Who really knows for sure? Intangibles can't be accurately evaluated prior to showing themselves at the NFL level, IMO.
It's not about what the stats would be at two different schools. It's about identifying traits, both physical and mental. I had pretty much avoided watching Alabama and had no expectations about Tua when I started evaluating him. If anything, my expectations were low. I was thinking 'probably a product of the talent around him'. But when I started watching him I was shocked by his killer instinct. As I said, he was the most aggressive QB I'd ever seen in college. When I'm watching a play develop from a QB perspective, I naturally identify where I would go with the ball. There are often safer choices, aggressive choices and of course bad choices. Tua more consistently went with the aggressive choice than any QB I'd ever watched. And he was usually right. He was very much the guy that would consistently go for the throat. That's the same way I would describe Jordan. Brady didn't show that on the field in college, but he showed that trait in the NFL. Nothing is definitive in evaluation. It's all projection. But you have clues that guide those projections whether they're physical or mental.

As for Brady coming out, I can say that I was high on him. Obviously, I didn't claim he would be a potential GOAT. But I did say I liked him as a starter. It was b/c I liked two of his traits that I find correlate highly with NFL success. Specifically, his feet and his accuracy.

As for Montana, Bill Walsh did say he could be elite. Walsh stated shortly after the draft (way before Montana ever played) that Montana had elite feet. Coincidentally, Montana was also considered a very accurate and very aggressive QB coming out. In fact, Montana was the guy who's game Tua reminded me the most of. IMO, other than being left handed, it was a better comp than Steve Young coming as he out relied more on his physical strength and running ability. Tua and Montana relied more on their pinpoint accuracy. Tua and Montana were in very similar offenses so you often saw them running the exact same plays so that comparison was easy. Montana was aggressive throwing into tight windows, but he didn't attack deep as often as Tua did. IMO they were both very ****y about being able to get their pass in anywhere.

A guy like Andre Ware never had much attraction to me. He had great stats, but that was largely due to the system. His exciting traits were about running ability and a big arm. That's what will get the fans excited about a prospect. But IMO footwork, consistent accuracy, processing speed are the things that get me excited about a QB prospect. But I always look at the mental traits as well. It's part of the evaluation and part of the projection.

It's not about what the stats would be at two different schools. It's about identifying traits, both physical and mental. I had pretty much avoided watching Alabama and had no expectations about Tua when I started evaluating him. If anything, my expectations were low. I was thinking 'probably a product of the talent around him'. But when I started watching him I was shocked by his killer instinct. As I said, he was the most aggressive QB I'd ever seen in college. When I'm watching a play develop from a QB perspective, I naturally identify where I would go with the ball. There are often safer choices, aggressive choices and of course bad choices. Tua more consistently went with the aggressive choice than any QB I'd ever watched. And he was usually right. He was very much the guy that would consistently go for the throat. That's the same way I would describe Jordan. Brady didn't show that on the field in college, but he showed that trait in the NFL. Nothing is definitive in evaluation. It's all projection. But you have clues that guide those projections whether they're physical or mental.

As for Brady coming out, I can say that I was high on him. Obviously, I didn't claim he would be a potential GOAT. But I did say I liked him as a starter. It was b/c I liked two of his traits that I find correlate highly with NFL success. Specifically, his feet and his accuracy.

As for Montana, Bill Walsh did say he could be elite. Walsh stated shortly after the draft (way before Montana ever played) that Montana had elite feet. Coincidentally, Montana was also considered a very accurate and very aggressive QB coming out. In fact, Montana was the guy who's game Tua reminded me the most of. IMO, other than being left handed, it was a better comp than Steve Young coming as he out relied more on his physical strength and running ability. Tua and Montana relied more on their pinpoint accuracy. Tua and Montana were in very similar offenses so you often saw them running the exact same plays so that comparison was easy. Montana was aggressive throwing into tight windows, but he didn't attack deep as often as Tua did. IMO they were both very ****y about being able to get their pass in anywhere.

A guy like Andre Ware never had much attraction to me. He had great stats, but that was largely due to the system. His exciting traits were about running ability and a big arm. That's what will get the fans excited about a prospect. But IMO footwork, consistent accuracy, processing speed are the things that get me excited about a QB prospect. But I always look at the mental traits as well. It's part of the evaluation and part of the projection.
Hall of fame analysis and commentary.

Back
Top Bottom