Tua or Burrow? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua or Burrow?

Which one

• Burrow

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Tua

Votes: 31 52.5%

• Total voters
As we inch closer to the draft, we have 3 teams angling for the Top 2 QBs. One already has the cat bird seat. The other two will be maneuvering.

Tua and Burrow will not be there at 5.

We'd better be at 1 or 2, or Draft Plan B will be in full effect.

I think the best calculated risk is to trade with Washington. The best gamble is sellout with Cincy.

Frankly, I'd prefer Washington. They have two players they are shopping: OT Flowers and CB Dunbar.

I think X is in play for us, also.

I'd rather approach Washington with the appealing angle we can alleviate some of their salary and player challenges. We'd give up less picks if we are taking on salary. And I'd rather take on an extra salary if it means protecting one of our 1st rounders this year.

There are pieces in play with Washington.

Cincy has no pieces in play except draft picks. That will be EXPENSIVE.

Work it out with Washington to guarantee you get 1 of 2 elite QB prospects. I'm not interested in selling the farm for #1. I'll take #2 at a discount.

Otherwise, San Diego will jump us and we will have to take a less intriguing option at QB.

I'm operating on the assumption if the Bengals were to trade with Miami it would take the Dolphins #5, #18 and a 1st round pick next year. Burrow was fantastic last year but given his previous experience, age, system and talent around him last year I'm not convinced he's that special. Tua is the better talent, but obviously injuries are a concern and present a higher risk.

To secure Tua (I'm not buying the Redskins are passing on Young and benching Haskins to take a chance on Tua) Miami will most likely need to trade with Detroit pre-draft. I'm operating on the assumption the #5 and #26 (maybe even #5 and 39) would get the job done. If Miami doesn't trade with Detroit and Tua is still available at #4 during the draft the Dolphins may need/want to send #5 and #70 (perhaps #141 would do) to the Giants to move up a spot and keep another team from jumping them.

The Chargers are the wildcard at this point not knowing if they are set on Tua or would be just satisfied staying put and drafting Herbert. If the Chargers signed Winston to a starters contract ($20-25 mil per) that would indicate they might wait. Of course the Panthers are also a factor but with Foles and Allen are they desperate?

Lots of variables at play. Without team doctors being able to personally give Tua's hip clearance given COVID-19 impact for conducting meetings with players Tua may very well last until #5. If Miami is set on Tua, do they have the balls to sit tight?

Personally, I would be okay with Miami trading #5 and #39 right now if it secured the #3 pick from the Lions. If it took #5 and #26 I wouldn't be mad.

Of course the Lions will play hardball and most likely will not trade right now wanting the sense of urgency to build for teams wanting the QB of their choice (other than Burrow going to Bengals) as the draft gets closer.

I don’t know what it would actually take to get to 1 and get Burrow but if it was just our first 2 picks I’d do it.

I wouldn’t trade anything more to get Burrow and I wouldn’t trade up at all for Tua. I’m not a fan of Tua due to his health and durability concerns.

If we’re at 5 and Burrow is obviously gone, regardless of if Tua is there or not I’d be looking hard at trading back or taking Simmons, Brown, or even Okudah.

I think with the moves they made in FA, they won't be picking defense until prob the 3rd round. Thats just my opinion.

I am pretty sure a safety is coming at 26 or 39. It appears to be a sweet spot for that position.

I am thinking Center or Safety with either of those picks, or 56.

Certainly not a WR but a RB might be tempting at 39.

IMO if you believe you have the next Elway, Manning, Luck you don’t trade your pic for any offer period. If the Bengals are willing to trade back when they need a QB it tells you they don’t view Burrow as that level of prospect or he refuses to play for them.

Iknow iknow - lets trade whatever it takes to get to #1 and draft Burrow. Then trade whatever it takes to get to #2 and draft Tagovailoa.

Problem solved.

There's a lot of talk about Steven Ross loving Joe Burrow as the future face of the Miami Dolphins. Burrow is projected to go #1 so it will be expensive to go get him, very expensive. Tua, may be there at 5 if we wanted to take a risk of missing out on him. Otherwise, we need to move up to 2 or 3 to snag him for sure. Option 1, go get Burrow, trade 3 #1s if needed. Option 2, go get Tua, trade less but still quite a lot. Option 3-Play strong poker and stay put at 5 and maybe have to settle for Herbert or Love. Option 4, forget QB, keep all picks and go BPA. So, which choice to you guys prefer and please say why. I like moving up to get Tua. I think he's going to be a great one God willing on his health.

Joe Burrow

Reactions: BSQ
I don’t think the Dolphins will end up drafting either Tua or Burrow. The Bengals will draft Burrow and the Dolphins will draft Herbert even if Tua is still available. I think his hip surgery and his various other injuries in the last two years will be too much for the Dolphins to risk drafting him.

This is the second post of the same thing, but the other one had a vote attached with it.
Here's the other one:
Thanks! Didn't catch the first one! Stuff is heating up!

I think if the medical things all check out and you go Tua. If not Burrow.

I keep hearing guys that have no idea what they’re talking about saying the Tua missed all these games over his career. The 2018 season he only Missed 1/2 of a football game because of an injury.If it was a regular season game in the NFL he would not have left the ball game but since it was a SEC championship and they needed a healthier quarterback to make sure they won the game he stepped to the side. But then played in the playoff game and destroyed Oklahoma he also played the game against Clemson. Didn’t win the game but his stats were very respectable in that game. Also the LSU game last year when he came back from the injury had phenomenal stats and almost brought them back for the victory. The ankle surgeries were not required surgeries. He made a choice to strengthen the ankle so he could finish the season both times .He played through a banged up knee and those ankle injuries. All players get injured but not all players play through them. And even more than that not every player can play through them at the level that he played. If it wasn’t for the fluke hip injury he would have finished last season. The other thing is if we compare his numbers to Joe Burrow but that’s not fair. Tua only played a half a football game against most teams. Joe Burrow was still throwing deep touchdown passes when up 30, just look at the Oklahoma game last year.

Agreed. I love Tua. Normally I would prefer the guy who excelled early. But in this instance I'm convinced Urban Meyer simply screwed up and didn't understand what he had, while believing he had to follow the college trend of a more mobile quarterback in JT Barrett.

I'm a huge believer in major college sleepers as opposed to wasting time looking at small school rosters for some hidden gem. Essentially Joe Burrow became a major college sleeper while still in college.

Right now Burrow's athletic arrogance is so high I'm reminded of John Elway decades ago. He carried the strut and the attitude from his freshman year.

I would be happy with Burrow, Tua or Love. None of them are going to become line drive mindless wingers. That is the type of quarterback I want to avoid. Once success is not coming as easily in the NFL it's quite common for the impatient personalities to resort to nothing but ridiculous fastballs forced into traffic. That fault ruined Cam Newton's career. Carson Wentz is going through it right now and may not emerge on the other end. There are already troubling signs from Baker Mayfield.

If we draft Justin Herbert or Jacob Eason we are essentially volunteering into line drive winger dependence. Maybe Herbert can relax and shake out of it in a more traditional offense. Not impossible. I don't want to pay high to find out.

With Tua it's strictly a matter of health. Everything else will take care of itself. Love has the elongated delivery and kind of an Andrew Luck tendency to underrate the adjacent defender's opportunity to diagnose and make a play on the ball.

think I’ve said this a few times on your posts this off season, but this is spot on. Agree 100%

Wow. Poll results are 20/20 right now.

We are totally split.

:guard:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Burrow

I'll admit...when I watched Burrows Heisman speech, I felt at times he was being a little cliche and fake. The "I have to thank my O-Line" as the first thing he said...it felt like he was saying what he thinks he should say.

His facial expressions and voice suggest that he is kind of full of himself. Like someone else said...he does seem a lot like Elway. Maybe that ****iness that I'm sensing is from what he went through to get to where he is. Hes finally getting the credit he always thought he deserves and is loving every second of it. But nevertheless, I questioned his integrity in that speech.

But that, (as well as the limited tape obviously) is the extent of my concern.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Tua

With Tua...the only concern is durability otherwise I do think it would've been a no brainer. His injuries prior to the hip aren't the concern. The real concern is that Tua's hip injury has a near-certainty of developing into arthritis. The question is not if but when. It could be in a few months, a few years...or it could be in a decade or even more from now. We will be rolling the dice as far as longevity goes and that CANNOT be denied.

------------------------------------------------------------------
My vote:

For me, as much as I LOVE Tua...that would be the determining factor if given the chance to have either of them - the longevity. I'd take Burrow if they could both be had for the same price.

Last edited:
I keep hearing guys that have no idea what they’re talking about

Get used to it if you’re going to visit this board on occasion, Coach.

You’ll constantly hear from the Burrow Brigade about his 60 TD’s as a 5th year Senior grad transfer throwing the ball all over the place in the 4th quarter of every game while up 30 points after Joe Brady showed up - but no mention that Tua would’ve thrown 70 TD’s the year before as a true sophomore if he wasn’t only playing the first half of games.

Clyde-Edwards Helaire’s catches out of the backfield went up 400% from the year before and folks think Burrow’s passing accuracy improved by 20% from one year to the next.

:lol:

I would be very happy if we got either. I would give burrow the edge because he is bigger and is healthy. Tua, the durability is a concern. Not sure there is anything more frustrating than a talented but often injured QB.

Back
Top Bottom