Tua or Burrow? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua or Burrow?

Which one

• Burrow

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Tua

Votes: 31 52.5%

• Total voters
I would be very happy if we got either. I would give burrow the edge because he is bigger and is healthy. Tua, the durability is a concern. Not sure there is anything more frustrating than a talented but often injured QB.

Exactly... the durability issue is very real and the obvious factor that pushes Burrow to QB1!

We need to come away with either Tua or Burrow. I keep going back and forth over which guy I prefer going forward.

We need to come away with either Tua or Burrow. I keep going back and forth over which guy I prefer going forward.

I do not agree with that at all.

Feeling you NEED a specific guy is a good way to F Up a Draft.

Stick to your board and move up or down when the value is there, Miami has too many needs to hone in on one guy.

Especially an oft injured QB or a pie in the sky QB we are not going to get.

Super Bowls will be won in the future that Tua and Burrow will not play in.They are not the only QB's in the Draft or next years Drat for that matter.

We have to look at the Fins rebuild as a multi year process not a "get everything we need" right now situation.

Stick to your board and move up or down when the value is there, Miami has too many needs to hone in on one guy.

Super Bowls will be won in the future that Tua and Burrow will not play in.They are not the only QB's in the Draft or next years Drat for that matter.

We have to look at the Fins rebuild as a multi year process not a "get everything we need" right now situation.

Good stuff.

I keep hearing guys that have no idea what they’re talking about saying the Tua missed all these games over his career. The 2018 season he only Missed 1/2 of a football game because of an injury.If it was a regular season game in the NFL he would not have left the ball game but since it was a SEC championship and they needed a healthier quarterback to make sure they won the game he stepped to the side. But then played in the playoff game and destroyed Oklahoma he also played the game against Clemson. Didn’t win the game but his stats were very respectable in that game. Also the LSU game last year when he came back from the injury had phenomenal stats and almost brought them back for the victory. The ankle surgeries were not required surgeries. He made a choice to strengthen the ankle so he could finish the season both times .He played through a banged up knee and those ankle injuries. All players get injured but not all players play through them. And even more than that not every player can play through them at the level that he played. If it wasn’t for the fluke hip injury he would have finished last season. The other thing is if we compare his numbers to Joe Burrow but that’s not fair. Tua only played a half a football game against most teams. Joe Burrow was still throwing deep touchdown passes when up 30, just look at the Oklahoma game last year.
Great post!

If Tua doesn’t get injured we have no shot at him - the stupid virus is also a help not a hindrance

And Burrow playing the business angle and not doing jack at the combine also helps

To think would Tua if healthy and wilfully sitting out??? Based on what we have seen about his compete I think not and we will never know

Last edited:

The whole point of sucking was to get a high enough draft pick to land your QB. In my book after Burrow and Tua there is a large drop off. I don't want another Tannehill, I want an Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning. It's time to stop settling imo. Do you prefer Love or Herbert over Tua and Burrow. We did great in FA but we still have to get a QB, RB and some oline pieces to fix the offense. Not easy.

We have a top 5 pick THIS year and there are two VERY good prospects in this years draft. AND we have 5 picks in the first two rounds THIS YEAR. The teams in front of us, only one really needs a young QB. this is the perfect year to move up and get our QB. We could win 7 or 8 games next season and not be able to reach the "pie in the sky" QB in the future drafts unless we give up 2022 1st and/or 2023 1st which would also hinder us even more.

I keep hearing guys that have no idea what they’re talking about saying the Tua missed all these games over his career. The 2018 season he only Missed 1/2 of a football game because of an injury.If it was a regular season game in the NFL he would not have left the ball game but since it was a SEC championship and they needed a healthier quarterback to make sure they won the game he stepped to the side. But then played in the playoff game and destroyed Oklahoma he also played the game against Clemson. Didn’t win the game but his stats were very respectable in that game. Also the LSU game last year when he came back from the injury had phenomenal stats and almost brought them back for the victory. The ankle surgeries were not required surgeries. He made a choice to strengthen the ankle so he could finish the season both times .He played through a banged up knee and those ankle injuries. All players get injured but not all players play through them. And even more than that not every player can play through them at the level that he played. If it wasn’t for the fluke hip injury he would have finished last season. The other thing is if we compare his numbers to Joe Burrow but that’s not fair. Tua only played a half a football game against most teams. Joe Burrow was still throwing deep touchdown passes when up 30, just look at the Oklahoma game last year.

The other Tua fans will eat this up but you keep diminishing all of the injuries as flukes or only requiring elective surgery. The fact is that Tua has had numerous injuries within a two year period to his hand, Knee, Quad, both ankles, his hip and posterior wall of the hip and his face. It's silly to say that his injuries were a fluke or minor. The summation of the injuries in a two year period is severe. Factor in the fact that Tua was playing with the best set of skill position players in America BOTH years and playing behind the most talented Offensive Line BOTH years and it only makes the injury history that much more questionable. At least 5 of the OL Tua played behind will play in the NFL and 3 will have been 1st round picks, by comparison, a couple of the OL Burrow played behind won't make the NFL and none will be drafted in the 1st round. All this and the vast majority of Tua's throws were quick hits, yet he still keeps getting hurt.

Tua is a very good football player but let's look at that as well, no QB has benefited from Yards after Catch as much as Tua. BOTH years he played. It's been well documented but Tua's game against South Carolina saw 82% of his yards come after the catch and 72% of his yards overall were YAC. Tua also deserves credit for hitting the WRs in stride and making the reads that put them into position to extend the plays, but it takes exceptional athletes to provide that level of YAC.

You make reference to Burrow's game vs Oklahoma as if he was piling on stats but he threw 7 TDs in the first half?!? He didn't play in the 4th Quarter.

How about under pressure?

Tua Under Pressure:
24 – 58 41% 352 yards 5 TDs 3 INTs

Burrow Under Pressure:
83 – 122 68% 1,305 yards 14 TDs 1 INT

We have no shot at Burrow, but he is the better QB and prospect. Let's hope TUa or Herbert prove to be the best pro for the Dolphins. The team you play for, the scheme, the surrounding players, etc. all play a significant role in the QB's success. Which is the real Steve Young, the 3 years in Tampa or the years in San Francisco? Foles in Philly or everywhere else? Gannon in Oakland? Bledsoe? Many examples.

This thread is about Burrow vs Tua but Tua is the only one we have a shot at getting, let's hope he works out.

I understand the injury concerns but I’d give Tua the edge because Burrow only has 1 good year with one of the best OCs in college plus Tua is younger

I understand the injury concerns but I’d give Tua the edge because Burrow only has 1 good year with one of the best OCs in college plus Tua is younger

Tua and Burrow both started two years. Joe Burrow has had two good years starting, with the same OC both years. In his first year starting at LSU he arrived on campus weeks before fall camp, won the starting job and met his teammates for the first time in the process. By the end of of his first 4 months in the LSU program, he averaged 325 yards passing and 3 tds per game for the final 3 games of the season. He led LSU to their first 10 win season in 5 years, finished the season ranked #6. His second year at LSU he had the greatest season by a QB in the history of college football. Never missed a game or practice during that time.

The other Tua fans will eat this up but you keep diminishing all of the injuries as flukes or only requiring elective surgery. The fact is that Tua has had numerous injuries within a two year period to his hand, Knee, Quad, both ankles, his hip and posterior wall of the hip and his face. It's silly to say that his injuries were a fluke or minor. The summation of the injuries in a two year period is severe. Factor in the fact that Tua was playing with the best set of skill position players in America BOTH years and playing behind the most talented Offensive Line BOTH years and it only makes the injury history that much more questionable. At least 5 of the OL Tua played behind will play in the NFL and 3 will have been 1st round picks, by comparison, a couple of the OL Burrow played behind won't make the NFL and none will be drafted in the 1st round. All this and the vast majority of Tua's throws were quick hits, yet he still keeps getting hurt.

Tua is a very good football player but let's look at that as well, no QB has benefited from Yards after Catch as much as Tua. BOTH years he played. It's been well documented but Tua's game against South Carolina saw 82% of his yards come after the catch and 72% of his yards overall were YAC. Tua also deserves credit for hitting the WRs in stride and making the reads that put them into position to extend the plays, but it takes exceptional athletes to provide that level of YAC.

You make reference to Burrow's game vs Oklahoma as if he was piling on stats but he threw 7 TDs in the first half?!? He didn't play in the 4th Quarter.

How about under pressure?

Tua Under Pressure:
24 – 58 41% 352 yards 5 TDs 3 INTs

Burrow Under Pressure:
83 – 122 68% 1,305 yards 14 TDs 1 INT

We have no shot at Burrow, but he is the better QB and prospect. Let's hope TUa or Herbert prove to be the best pro for the Dolphins. The team you play for, the scheme, the surrounding players, etc. all play a significant role in the QB's success. Which is the real Steve Young, the 3 years in Tampa or the years in San Francisco? Foles in Philly or everywhere else? Gannon in Oakland? Bledsoe? Many examples.

This thread is about Burrow vs Tua but Tua is the only one we have a shot at getting, let's hope he works out.

Let me ask you a question - would you have put Burrow over Tua at any point prior to this season?

Ja’marr Chase and Justin Jefferson are better than Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is at worst a wash with Najee Harris.

Thaddeus Moss is better than any TE that was on Bama’s roster last year.

Lloyd Cushenberry and Damien Lewis are better than Landon Dickerson and Deonte Brown. The only place Bama would have an advantage on the offensive line is at the tackle spots. Waddle and Smitty are probably better than Terrace Marshall.

Joe Brady and Ensminger together are better than Sark.

This gap in talent between LSU and Alabama is hogwash my friend. LSU has had this type of talent for years, they just didn’t have a system to take advantage of it. All they did was toss the ball to the running back until Joe Brady showed up and advised them on how offensive football is played nowadays.

There’s a reason why Jalen Hurts didn’t benefit from all that run after catch playing with the same talent. Tua was that good before he ever stepped foot on campus at Alabama. The skill positions benefited from him more than he benefited from them. They didn’t make him.

Everybody eats when Tua is taking the snaps. It’s the same thing Joe Brady did for LSU. Everybody ate. Including Joe Burrow.

Let me ask you a question - would you have put Burrow over Tua at any point prior to this season?

Ja’marr Chase and Justin Jefferson are better than Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is at worst a wash with Najee Harris.

Thaddeus Moss is better than any TE that was on Bama’s roster last year.

Lloyd Cushenberry and Damien Lewis are better than Landon Dickerson and Deonte Brown. The only place Bama would have an advantage on the offensive line is at the tackle spots. Waddle and Smitty are probably better than Terrace Marshall.

Joe Brady and Ensminger together are better than Sark.

This gap in talent between LSU and Alabama is hogwash my friend. LSU has had this type of talent for years, they just didn’t have a system to take advantage of it. All they did was toss the ball to the running back until Joe Brady showed up and advised them on how offensive football is played nowadays.

There’s a reason why Jalen Hurts didn’t benefit from all that run after catch playing with the same talent. Tua was that good before he ever stepped foot on campus at Alabama. The skill positions benefited from him more than he benefited from them. They didn’t make him.

Everybody eats when Tua is taking the snaps. It’s the same thing Joe Brady did for LSU. Everybody ate. Including Joe Burrow.

Interesting, so the WR coach who didn't even call the plays deserves all of the credit for LSU but the QB deserves all of the credit for Alabama. Alex Leatherwood started at Guard last year with WIlliams and Willis at Tackle. 3 out of 5 OL on that line are first round picks. Womack and Pierschbacher are/were quality starters. Burrow played a large part in the success of LSU's OL this past year.

"Let me ask you a question - would you have put Burrow over Tua at any point prior to this season?" No, ridiculous argument. I wouldn't have put Chase, Jefferson or Marshall as starters at Alabama prior to this season either but then look what happened this past season. The 2019 season matters. Chase and Marshall were much better as sophomores than they were as Freshman, that's why they didn't start in 2018. Same goes for Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs and Waddle in 2018 and 2019 vs 2017.. HUrts didn't get to play with them as Sophs or Juniors except for when he won the SEC title game for Bama in 2018. Talk to me about the YAC and why it is so much higher for Tua, talk to me about the plays under pressure and why Burrow is so much better.

"All they did was toss the ball to the running back until Joe Brady showed up and advised them on how offensive football is played nowadays." Burrow averaged 325 yards passing and 3 TDs per game for the final 3 games of the 2018 season. That's before Brady even got to LSU.

The best QB and prospect in this draft will be drafted 1st, we'll see who that is. Tua is a very good QB, he's just not as good as Burrow.

Last edited:
Interesting, so the WR coach who didn't even call the plays deserves all of the credit for LSU but the QB deserves all of the credit for Alabama. Alex Leatherwood started at Guard last year with WIlliams and Willis at Tackle. 3 out of 5 OL on that line are first round picks.

"Let me ask you a question - would you have put Burrow over Tua at any point prior to this season?" No, ridiculous argument. I wouldn't have put Chase, Jefferson or Marshall as starters at Alabama prior to this season either but then look what happened this past season. The 2019 season matters. Chase and Marshall were much better as sophomores than they were as Freshman, that's why they didn't start in 2018. Same goes for Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs and Waddle in 2018 and 2019 vs 2017.. HUrts didn't get to play with them as Sophs or Juniors except for when he won the SEC title game for Bama in 2018. Talk to me about the YAC and why it is so much higher for Tua, talk to me about the plays under pressure and why Burrow is so much better.

"All they did was toss the ball to the running back until Joe Brady showed up and advised them on how offensive football is played nowadays." Burrow averaged 325 yards passing and 3 TDs per game before for the final 3 games of the 2018 season. That's before Brady even got to LSU.

The best QB and prospect in this draft will be drafted 1st, we'll see who that is. Tua is a very good QB, he's just not as good as Burrow.

You could debate if the first 3 points had merit. I'm sure some agree and others don't.

But where you lost credibility in your arguments was this:

That's saying Trubisky (#2) was a better prospect than Mahomes (#10) or Watson (#12) when many did not like him at all.

Organization fall in love with certain players all the time......and many organizations fail just as much, if not more, than they succeed on draft picks. They go for certain traits, certain metrics, certain physical parameters, etc.

I guarantee you one team has Herbert #1 over Tua and Burrow. If that team was picking 1st and like him the way the Bears liked Trubisky, it doesn't make him the best prospect.

You could debate if the first 3 points had merit. I'm sure some agree and others don't.

But where you lost credibility in your arguments was this:

That's saying Trubisky (#2) was a better prospect than Mahomes (#10) or Watson (#12) when many did not like him at all.

Organization fall in love with certain players all the time......and many organizations fail just as much, if not more, than they succeed on draft picks. They go for certain traits, certain metrics, certain physical parameters, etc.

I guarantee you one team has Herbert #1 over Tua and Burrow. If that team was picking 1st and like him the way the Bears liked Trubisky, it doesn't make him the best prospect.
Very true it Doesn’t matter who is first as far as who is better that is. I like both guys I just personally like Tua who is younger and didn’t have a great OC calling plays but burrow is very good at improv plays which I love

Back
Top Bottom