Tua played at 60% last year | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua played at 60% last year

Dude, if you're going to try to post leading questions as blatantly evident as that, try it with pets or infants first.

100% healthy and 100% recovered ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

I mean...I could try it with different capitalization if you feel it would help. If it was SAFE to play Tua, then I don't have any issue with it. It was.

But ignoring the subsequent thoughts and statements that he recovered more after the season was over are just obstinate, pigheaded and stupid.
I ask you the same question. Was Tua 100% healthy and 60% recovered? (per his trainer's estimate). If being "recovered" was different then being healthy, why would you think Flores would start Tua over Fitz? In fact, I would argue that it's easier to be 100% recovered Vs. 100% healthy. Tua's hip is 100% recovered, but he has a cold so he's not 100% healthy.

I ask you the same question. Was Tua 100% healthy and 60% recovered? (per his trainer's estimate). If being "recovered" was different then being healthy, why would you think Flores would start Tua over Fitz? In fact, I would argue that it's easier to be 100% recovered Vs. 100% healthy. Tua's hip is 100% recovered, but he has a cold so he's not 100% healthy.

If you're going to compare having a cold to a catastrophic hip injury, I really don't know where to go with that.

To answer your Fitz/Tua question, the answer would probably be that a 60% recovered Tua was making throws that Fitz couldn't. Fitz himself said this.

I'm genuinely trying to not be a tool at this point. But the recovery period from Tua's specific injury is fairly uncharted. I will fully admit that I don't 100% know exactly where Tua was at as far as feeling like the same athlete he was pre-injury. But here's the cool thing:

Neither do you. Or Colin Cowherd. Or Adam Schein. Or Douchebag Ryan Clark.

So when information comes in about the recovery from said injury, PARTICULARLY from people very closely involved...I'm going to give it some credence.

If you're going to compare having a cold to a catastrophic hip injury, I really don't know where to go with that.

To answer your Fitz/Tua question, the answer would probably be that a 60% recovered Tua was making throws that Fitz couldn't. Fitz himself said this.

I'm genuinely trying to not be a tool at this point. But the recovery period from Tua's specific injury is fairly uncharted. I will fully admit that I don't 100% know exactly where Tua was at as far as feeling like the same athlete he was pre-injury. But here's the cool thing:

Neither do you. Or Colin Cowherd. Or Adam Schein. Or Douchebag Ryan Clark.

So when information comes in about the recovery from said injury, PARTICULARLY from people very closely involved...I'm going to give it some credence.
I don't know man. It might be just me but this seems like just another case of making excuses for Tua's erratic poor play last year. I certainly hope he's both 100% healthy and 100% recovered this year so we can all see the real player.

Worry about what? I want Tua to improve and take the next step. I only worry if he fail to achieve that.

Thats how I defined between homer, fan and hater.
Homer, all players in the team can't do no wrong. And will find excuses for any bad performance.
Fan, call it what it is. Give both praises and criticisms. Want the team to do good and don't mind player changes.
Hater, has their own agender to want the player to fail, even it means dragging down the team as a whole.
Because you will have nothing to grandstand about whether Watson or Rodgers

I don't know man. It might be just me but this seems like just another case of making excuses for Tua's erratic poor play last year. I certainly hope he's both 100% healthy and 100% recovered this year so we can all see the real player.

That's totally fair. 100%.

Here's the cool thing: Miami has set Tua up to succeed. So...we'll know. Quickly. Not like with Tanny, when the organization totally ******* up, and we were waiting after year 6, because there was still an argument about whether or not he was "the guy." In a year or two, I'm pretty sure we'll know that Tua is the guy, or he isn't.

The thing is, imo, Tua is being penalized for the Tannehill scenario.

Here's what I believe, for what it's worth (and that's worth nothing):

- I believe Brian Flores didn't expect Tua to be as healthy as he was in 2020. I think that's why he brought Gailey in, because he thought Fitz gave him a shot at the playoffs in 2020, so he set up FITZ to succeed.

- I believe Tua progressed much more quickly than anyone expected, and his practices led Flores to think maybe Tua gave Miami a better chance to win.

- I believe that Tua's exertion on his hip in the Arizona, San Diego and Kansas City games set him back a little...much in the same way a pitcher recovering from a major arm injury would take some time recovering from a rehab start.

- I believe that Tua generates a huge amount of his arm talent and velocity from his lower body. For instance, one of the coolest things about watching Tua in college was his ability to throw off of almost any platform by setting his hips parallel to the LOS and ripping the ball. His ability to do this on the move was phenomenal. He did this once or twice in his rookie year, and then he didn't to it again. I wonder...a LOT...about his recovery period after those games. I simply think he wasn't able to get his body to do the things he wanted it to do...because he wasn't 100% recovered.

- I believe that everything above this line doesn't mean **** as far as Miami is concerned, and if Tua doesn't produce by 2023, he's gone.

It is not an excuse at all it is a common sense that he wouldn't be back to 100% normal last year. He was 100% healed and cleared to play.

I always compared his injury as far as a time table thing to a pitcher having tommy John's surgery. It is common knowledge that aft that a pitcher will be back and healed with in a year but it takes them a year of pitching before they regain there previous arm strength. Tua had major surgery he probably had a few months of pretty much no physical lifting/training, then followed up that with rehab for months. He probably went like 6 months or so with out his regular strength and conditioning. He probably lost a lot of muscle/strength over that period and you don't just rebuild it over night. Also if you read what his Dr said he mentioned that even after he is 100% he stated it would take time for he to work back to full range of motion in the hip.

I just don't what is so hard to understand he was 100% healthy cleared to play but he was not 100% back to his peak level of physical fitness. I mean it is just common sense really.

My guess is if Tua struggles this season with this receiving core, blame will then be placed on the offensive line. That's usually how it goes.

My guess is if Tua struggles this season with this receiving core, blame will then be placed on the offensive line. That's usually how it goes.
For some here... they would do EXACTLY that.

But for the bulk of the posters, I think they are more rational than that.

How is the distinction between having reached the point where it is as safe as it will get for you to play, while also not having regained your previous form such a foreign concept to some?

Have you never experienced a serious injury? If not, I'm happy for u. I severely injured my hand and required 7 surgeries. I was "fully healthy" and was able to be back on the basketball court one year later.

But it took me over two years before I was actually performing at 100% of my new ability. The danger of reinjuring my hand never changed during that extra time. I just had to restrengthen muscles. Relearn how to use a body part that was no longer quite the same. And regain my confidence.

I never fully recovered bc my injury was more serious and that wasn't possible. But in the year after I was declared "fully healthy," I went from dog**** on the court to pretty ****ing good.

I know we have a lot of athletes on this board. Plenty of u have had to have experienced significant injuries. Anyone that has def understands this concept.

Healthy/safe to play and having regained maximum form are NOT THE SAME THING.

How is the distinction between having reached the point where it is as safe as it will get for you to play, while also not having regained your previous form such a foreign concept to some?

Have you never experienced a serious injury? If not, I'm happy for u. I severely injured my hand and required 7 surgeries. I was "fully healthy" and was able to be back on the basketball court one year later.

But it took me over two years before I was actually performing at 100% of my new ability. The danger of reinjuring my hand never changed during that extra time. I just had to restrengthen muscles. Relearn how to use a body part that was no longer quite the same. And regain my confidence.

I never fully recovered bc my injury was more serious and that wasn't possible. But in the year after I was declared "fully healthy," I went from dog**** on the court to pretty ****ing good.

I know we have a lot of athletes on this board. Plenty of u have had to have experienced significant injuries. Anyone that has def understands this concept.

Healthy/safe to play and having regained maximum form are NOT THE SAME THING.
We had this conversation a number of times last year as some of the hard-core Tua people were just SWEARING that he was at 100%. They wouldn't be deterred, and they completely rejected any sort of reason or information to the contrary of what they wanted to believe.

There is a certain sickness in American culture right now where facts are just rejected and strongly held beliefs, no matter how ridiculous, are held up as strength, conviction... bravery.

It makes me sad.

considering he lost one game with a late pick and only won the other with a miracle, blind throw, the results were mixed at best

Please, if you're going to make a comment on the relief efforts of Fitz, have your facts correct. Against Denver, 12-18 for 117 yards. Led is back and yes, threw a pick. This was less than a quarter. Tua 11-20 for 83 yards and took 6, count em, 6 sacks!

Against Las Vegas, the "only won by a miracle" let's assess. In one quarter was 9 of 13 for 182 yards and a TD. Then led the game winning drive while having his helmet ripped off. Tua threw for a grand total of 94 yards in 3 quarters. This game he only took 3 sacks but was lost all game.

I get that you want to be "right" about whatever you're arguing but do not short change what Fitz did as luck. He was fantastic in his relief appearances last year.

Back
Top Bottom