Tua played at 60% last year | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua played at 60% last year

It's not a foreign concept at all. My point is not that "safe to play" and "fully recovered" are the same thing. My point is that I don't believe that Flores and the Dolphins Training staff would play Tua and put his long term career at risk if he was only at 60% when they already had a competent QB, a 3-3 record, and were coming off of 2 dominating wins. I trust the Dolphins' training staff more than Tua's personal trainer. If the Dolphins did indeed do that and also felt Tua was only at 60%, it was a reckless and irresponsible decision on their part.
What is the bottom line to your stance? Do you believe Tua played at 100% last year?

Which is exactly what the anti-drafting Tua people said. He MAY never really be the same, but many of the Tua Cult didn't want to hear that either...

...and that was what some of us found so disconcerting... it wasn't Tua, it was some of his slack-jawed fan-boys. There was this complete lack of realism with some of these guys.

Therein lies a lot of the argument. Anti-TT group loves to use a few blind TT fans as the 'typical' TT fan. TT cult loves to use the true anti-TT fans as the typical fan who doesn't think TT will succeed. Left out are the many of us who want TT to be successful, think he WILL be successful, but acknowledge he played poorly most of the year.
By reports, he's in much better shape, has a better surrounding cast, now has some NFL experience. That doesn't mean he'll be a top 10 QB, but gives reason for optimism. The fundamental question - how much will he improves - will only be known though evidence

What is the bottom line to your stance? Do you believe Tua played at 100% last year?
No, not 100%. But I'm not buying the 60% narrative. I just can't see the Dolphin's risking so much if that were actually the case. He looked really good in The Arizona game. I'm not sure I'm capable of recognizing what 100% looks like, but he looked good.

Fully recovered and fully strength are two completely different things. I busted my heel once, I was fully recovered and walking in a month. However when I jumped or hit it just right it shot pain thru my heel for over a year.

I'm not doctor but I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night, there was no way Tua was at 100% full strength after that hip injury and recovery. There is a mental aspect that goes along with that recovery too, confidence that your hip isn't going to get reinjured. Tua can say he was fully confident but I can guarantee it went through his head the first few hits.

I don't think Tua was either fully recovered or full strength. I believe FloCo really never intended to play him last year. However, the accelerated rate at which the rebuild progressed force them to assess him live. Any 100% speak at the time would fulfill the 'coach speak' requirement.

I'm still more confident in Tua's hip than Herbert's mind
Out of curiosity, what leads you to beleive JH is not intelligent?

His academic history?
His decision making on the field?

I preferred Herbert, but we have TT, so he is my guy, until he gives me reason not to be, but bashing JH, when it isn't even relavent to the thread?

What purpose does that really serve?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what leads you to beleive JH is not intelligent?

His academic history?
His decision making on the field?

I preffered Herbert, but we have TT, so he is my guy, until he gives me reason not to be, but bashing JH, when it isn't even relavent to the thread?

What purpose does that really serve?
It's not intelligence that I question. It's his ability to overcome adversity in "crunch time", he has a history of wilting under pressure.
I believe Tua's hip will be a non-factor at some point, I'm not sure Herbert can ever become clutch

Just for grins... I went back about 70 pages and read one of those pre-drafting of Tua threads... and read all of the responses from posters who were chomping at the bit to trade up for Tua.

Many of them from generally rational posters who still post here... posts that touted the benefit of trading three or four picks to move up two spots to MAKE SURE WE GET HIM.

One guy saying that Grier would get fired if he didn't get Tua. Another guy willing to trade all three number ones because Tua is sooo much better than Herbert.

Of course, there were sensible people as well, but the insanity level was a LOT higher than some here would like to admit.

Just for grins... I went back about 70 pages and read one of those pre-drafting of Tua threads... and read all of the responses from posters who were chomping at the bit to trade up for Tua.

Many of them from generally rational posters who still post here... posts that touted the benefit of trading three or four picks to move up two spots to MAKE SURE WE GET HIM.

One guy saying that Grier would get fired if he didn't get Tua. Another guy willing to trade all three number ones because Tua is sooo much better than Herbert.

Of course, there were sensible people as well, but the insanity level was a LOT higher than some here would like to admit.
That kind of irrationality was prevalent, though many refuse to admit it now.

If one tried to state any type of rational, non biased opinion, they were labeled "haters", called stupid, etc.

That, more than anything Tua ever did, or didn't do is what made ppl obstinate.

That kind of irrationality was prevalent, though many refuse to admit it now.

If one tried to state any type of rational, non biased opinion, they were labeled "haters", called stupid, etc.

That, more than anything Tua ever did, or didn't do is what made ppl obstinate.
Yep. It was really bad for awhile. The trouble was that some of the better acid-tongued guys were the huuuge Tua fans, and their normal debate style is slash and burn.
There were a couple of them that I generally agree with who were just... brutal, and ultimately wrong as we got Tua at 5.

It's not intelligence that I question. It's his ability to overcome adversity in "crunch time", he has a history of wilting under pressure.
I believe Tua's hip will be a non-factor at some point, I'm not sure Herbert can ever become clutch
That is what I've been (and will be) focusing on.

Not fantasy stats. Wins directly attributable to QB play in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
I think Tua should be good qb in 2 yr. The only concern I have is can he keep up w good team when our defense ain't playing well. When Dolphins need score point to win games.

To get respect,herbert,Tua,Wilson and Lawrence. You got beat top team in afc ravens,ind,pit,k.c, Browns,k.c and Buf...

Think about the atrophy that happened to his body because he was not weight bearing nor could he seriously train until he got the injury under control, then came just functionality of the hip and ROM, the muscle specific exercises to get the muscles firing again, then trying to get it back to regular strength, all the while all the other muscles in the body not getting much attention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom