Tua Ranked 8th For ROTY chances | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Ranked 8th For ROTY chances

Tua needs to heal. Given the state of the Dolphins OL--despite the rose colored glasses most fans seem to be wearing about our rookies--Tua will struggle to stay healthy behind this OL. IMHO, he should have a rookie season similar to Pat Mahomes', where he is trotted out near the end of the season to get his feet wet, get his first TD, first INT, first few hits, and probably his first start, then he can get all that stuff behind him and grind away at getting better for 2021, when he's healthy. If that happens, he has no chance at the ROY. But I'd rather have a healthy and productive Tua for 15 years, rather than risk all that by pushing him out too soon behind an OL that cannot protect him.

If Coach Flo remains true to his mantra of playing the best player, we'll see Ryan Fitzpatrick start the season and probably start most of the games. But we all know it doesn't work like that when a coach starts losing and his job is on the hot seat ... especially with a big shot rookie on the bench. So, we're going to see Tua at some point. I just pray that we do not rush him in before he's healthy.

There is nothing wrong with waiting for your shot, as you learn from the sidelines, as Rodgers, Brady, Jackson, or Mahomes did.

Waiting for the line to learn to work as one unit, and show some consistency (Especially with probably 2 Rookies starting) is not a bad thing to have a Vet like Fitz back there early.

On the other hand, If Tua comes out, looking heads and shoulders better then everyone else...the coaching staff is going to have a very hard time keeping him from the Field.
Right but every player you listed was sitting behind someone that either got their team in another year to ss auperbowl/won a superbowl or was super close in Smith. Brady never sees the field if Bledsoe stays healthy potentially. Flacco had a big contract and won a superbowl, Smith was playing very well and Favre was Brett Favre. I like Fitz but he's none of those guys. Tua should not and probably will not have to wait longer than a couple games at most.

He's the best qb on the roster, he will play way before anyone imagined he would be.

His wolverine blood is coming in handy.

It's probably already been said, but I think a lot depends on how quickly the offensive line comes together. If this unit is struggling early on, let Fitz take the beating. He proved he can handle a horrendous line, but you don't want a rookie in that situation.

On the other hand, if the offensive line is better than expected and Tua clearly outplays Fitz, why not get him in there? If Tua starts fairly early, I think he has a chance to get offensive ROTY.

Rodgers sat behind a hall of fame qb at the end of his career, mahomes sat behind alex smith on a playoff caliber team, brady was a 6th round pick who probably wouldnt have seen the field if bledsoe didnt get hit in the chest...lamar jackson entering the draft there was talk about him switching positions questioning his ability to play qb and flacco was being paid a ton of money and was their guy for 10 years and they were always "in the hunt" moreso for their defense than offense but still...

while i understand what youre saying these are all different situations from where were at...were a team who has a 37 year old journeyman qb, who i like btw dont get me wrong, and have been mired in mediocrity for 20 years, we have a young team in an admitted rebuild, wouldnt you want the centerpiece of said rebuild to build chemistry and get some experience?

in all honesty tho if hes deemed not good to go im actually ok with it, im really just giving my opinion on the situation were in at this point but ive waited long enough i can definitely ride out another season if i have to but i was reading something a month or so ago where they had a couple gms talking about the sitting and learning and they said they used to believe that method was sound but theyve changed their mind after seeing players make immediate impacts even if they have growing pains and struggles early, you basically learn nothing holding a clipboard, you learn by playing...

in tuas case his best attributes is his pocket presence and ability to read defenses, ive seen those things referred to as elite in some places...so i think it all depends on how quick he acclimates to that south florida weather, his health/strength/conditioning and his ability to grasp the playbook in a limited/shortened/no preseason games irregular offseason...

like i said tho, i think fitz starts the season but it wont be long before tuas under center...we know fitz can be careless and if hes not flawless there will be daily pressure from fans, the media and front office people (ross?) about tuas debut...we will see him at some point this year, hes already the face of the franchise

I agree with you, my point is not so much sitting him will help him, or hurt him, but that he should not be forced
Right but every player you listed was sitting behind someone that either got their team in another year to ss auperbowl/won a superbowl or was super close in Smith. Brady never sees the field if Bledsoe stays healthy potentially. Flacco had a big contract and won a superbowl, Smith was playing very well and Favre was Brett Favre. I like Fitz but he's none of those guys. Tua should not and probably will not have to wait longer than a couple games at most.

No, I agree, I have no problem with that, my point is not so much that Tua should or should not start right away, but that he should not be forced to start before he's ready or when the situation seems best for him to start, but if he does take a little longer to get on the field, it should not hurt him, in fact, it might help him.

As I also said, if Tua comes out of the gates tearing it up, and looking far better the everyone else (Yes, very possible), it will be tough for the Dolphin coaching to keep him on the bench.

To actually beat Fitz out, he would have to demonstrate his ability to quickly make the proper pre/post snap reads better than a 15 yr vet.
Fitz might be a 15 yr vet, but he still hasnt shown the ability to make the proper pre/post snap reads more often than not... I mean experience is nice but it doesnt mean you're good... Where Tua could really learn from Fitz IMO is how to take/avoid contact as a guy who likes to scramble alot. Obviously, Ryan knows a thing or 2 about that playing in this league for this long and it also should be the absolute focus point for Tua right now...

I'd be shocked if Tua didnt give Ryan a beating in a QB red shirt setting. Only question is when Flores will be comfortable taking the red shirt off Tua... IMO.

There is nothing wrong with waiting for your shot, as you learn from the sidelines, as Rodgers, Brady, Jackson, or Mahomes did.

Waiting for the line to learn to work as one unit, and show some consistency (Especially with probably 2 Rookies starting) is not a bad thing to have a Vet like Fitz back there early.

On the other hand, If Tua comes out, looking heads and shoulders better then everyone else...the coaching staff is going to have a very hard time keeping him from the Field.
Tua situation in miami is totally different from Brady replace Bledsoe.
,mohomes replace smith or Rogers replace Brett Favre..all them teams draft qb for futures. While still having top qb in place..Fitzpatrick is not top qb in nfl.
You have made contradictory statements, so I'm not really sure where you stand.

Nobody on this entire board thinks Fitz is "the answer" for the future. I don't know why that would even be a debatable point.

The kid hasn't even taken part in one team practice. No one, including the coaches, know for sure at this point, what the time frame for Tua to play will be.
Yes we just assuming. we just fan none of us no what dolphins are going do. Do I want Tua play this year yes and early.. but it up flores and dolphins.. idk if we going have football this year..

I almost see it as more about Tua beating Fitz in the locker room than on the practice field. I mean I'd be very surprised if Tua wasn't better in the "red shirt" setting. But there is more than just that. Fitz just seems to be able to get guys to like him. I mean when a 37 year old QB makes a safety look bad when running the ball in for a 7 yard TD.....well you expect him to kill the QB next chance he gets.....instead Fitz seems to get a hug from him after the game.

Fitz might be a 15 yr vet, but he still hasnt shown the ability to make the proper pre/post snap reads more often than not...

If that were true, I doubt he lasts 15 yrs in the league.

His biggest flaw is his brain writing checks his a$$ couldn't cash, IMO.

Fitz knows Chan Gailey offense and finished the year beating the pats at their house
We open at New england so he's my starter game one.

Tua will take his place when coach thinks he's ready

If that were true, I doubt he lasts 15 yrs in the league.

His biggest flaw is his brain writing checks his a$$ couldn't cash, IMO.
Thats his biggest strenght and the reason he's still in the league IMO... If he tried to duplicate Tom brady's game, he'd have been out of the league after his 1st contract. He decided to say **** it and sling it all over the place, this aggressive style leads to alot of 50/50 big ass chunk plays where the downside looks alot more like a punt than an INT. This doesnt really correlate to wins in the NFL, but it does bring some pretty nice stretches, which is why I would like this guy to specifically teach backups how to play in the NFL... And Im 100% serious about that.

The Fitzpatrick/Moore types are what I would aim for as my backup QBs once I have established a starter for a window... You're not getting a bad QB trying to be Tom Brady or Joe Montana, you're getting a bad QB trying to be Brett Favre, which is more reliant on luck than precision. You'll lose more games than you'll win either way but you'll put alot more points on the board with a bad Favre than a bad Brady, which will give you more of a shot to hit a really hot streak IMO.

He's the best qb on the roster, he will play way before anyone imagined he would be.

His wolverine blood is coming in handy.
i disagree on your projection, I think he will play once the team starts to see themselves out of playoff contention..maybe that happens maybe it doesn’t.

Fitz might be a 15 yr vet, but he still hasnt shown the ability to make the proper pre/post snap reads more often than not... I mean experience is nice but it doesnt mean you're good... Where Tua could really learn from Fitz IMO is how to take/avoid contact as a guy who likes to scramble alot. Obviously, Ryan knows a thing or 2 about that playing in this league for this long and it also should be the absolute focus point for Tua right now...

I'd be shocked if Tua didnt give Ryan a beating in a QB red shirt setting. Only question is when Flores will be comfortable taking the red shirt off Tua... IMO.
I don’t think ryan is great at avoiding contact, he embraces it..it’s his way of motivating his players..Jmo.

I’d like Tua to watch tape of Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray to watch next level aware ness when scrambling or running past the LOS..

it’s one part of the game that Tua has not mastered but I’d like to think he’s smart enough to get the concept.

Tua needs to heal. Given the state of the Dolphins OL--despite the rose colored glasses most fans seem to be wearing about our rookies--Tua will struggle to stay healthy behind this OL. IMHO, he should have a rookie season similar to Pat Mahomes', where he is trotted out near the end of the season to get his feet wet, get his first TD, first INT, first few hits, and probably his first start, then he can get all that stuff behind him and grind away at getting better for 2021, when he's healthy. If that happens, he has no chance at the ROY. But I'd rather have a healthy and productive Tua for 15 years, rather than risk all that by pushing him out too soon behind an OL that cannot protect him.

If Coach Flo remains true to his mantra of playing the best player, we'll see Ryan Fitzpatrick start the season and probably start most of the games. But we all know it doesn't work like that when a coach starts losing and his job is on the hot seat ... especially with a big shot rookie on the bench. So, we're going to see Tua at some point. I just pray that we do not rush him in before he's healthy.
I understand your point about a coaches’ view changes when his job is on the line. Especially a prominent issue during the draft and free agent periods.
I do not think Flo is on the hot seat in 2020. Not even 2021. I would love a competitive team ASAP, but as far as firing the coach, I think no hot seat until 2022.

Back
Top Bottom