Tua Tagovailoa HEATED Debate: What Is Needed From Miami Dolphiins For Him To Start Right Away? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa HEATED Debate: What Is Needed From Miami Dolphiins For Him To Start Right Away?

Thank God we have a HC with brains. Brian Flores WILL NOT start Tua Tagovailoa until the Offensive Line is solidified and he knows the playbook 100%. So all of these debates and "heated" arguments are just a waste of time. Fitzpatrick KNOWS Chan Gailey's offense better than anyone in the league. the offense will florish very well under Fitz until Tagovailoa is ready. This is how it is going to be. Get used to it.

I don't think it's about the oline being good. It's about Tua showing that he has a good enough grasp of the playbook and is able to handle real game speed well enough to play behind a not great oline.

I'm asking because I don't know. Did any of those guys start behind 4, maybe 5, new OLmen, with 2-3 being rookies , new RBs, and a new OC?

By the very definition of their status in the league I would assume the OC is always going to be new to them. Darnold had a miserable offensive line, as did Mayfield. I think a strong case could be made that both of those guys should have sat out a year.

I do think Tua is a little different in that he appears to be more refined in his mechanics. I'm not sure there's much a coaching staff is going to look to change in his footwork or throwing motion. His issues appear to be more things that are fixed on the field....figuring out how much he can hold onto the ball and extend plays against NFL athletes.

I don't think it's about the oline being good. It's about Tua showing that he has a good enough grasp of the playbook and is able to handle real game speed well enough to play behind a not great oline.

Its still frightening given his injury history and play at Alabama. I remember someone doing an analysis and finding 3-4 times in his entire Alabama career where Tua threw the ball away. Its an admirable trait but not one you always want to see in a little guy. Even amongst much larger characters you can tell the toll it takes over the years.

I'm not sure the best approach is to have him learn by getting clobbered every week.

By the very definition of their status in the league I would assume the OC is always going to be new to them. Darnold had a miserable offensive line, as did Mayfield. I think a strong case could be made that both of those guys should have sat out a year.

I do think Tua is a little different in that he appears to be more refined in his mechanics. I'm not sure there's much a coaching staff is going to look to change in his footwork or throwing motion. His issues appear to be more things that are fixed on the field....figuring out how much he can hold onto the ball and extend plays against NFL athletes.

I meant was the OC new to the team

It's all about the O-line, dude. Tua is our future and we are not going to risk him with a crappy O-line after coming back from surgery to repair the dislocated ball in his right hip. O-line talent has been drafted and recruited in free agency but they need to gel as a unit and we don't know how long that will take. Fitz is a very experienced tough veteran who can handle the situation and take the physical hits if needed and he excelled in leadership at the tail end of last season to win some tough games. Tua gets the opportunity to watch and learn from Fitz. Effectively, he gets a front row seat in NFL Leadership 101 from our Harvard educated professor. I concur 100% with phinking that there is no point in playing Tua until the other pieces (cough, especially the O-line) are in place. Good things sometimes take time.

Last edited:
The first thing that’s needed is a football season in 2020. I don’t think he starts a single game without one of those.

I like we have two vet RB's coming in. That should help with the blitz pick up and stuff
The center and left guard are vets too and Davis if he's part of the mix
If the rooks can get up to speed that will make the decision to go to Tua a lot easier
Until then i think fitz starts

I like we have two vet RB's coming in. That should help with the blitz pick up and stuff
The center and left guard are vets too and Davis if he's part of the mix
If the rooks can get up to speed that will make the decision to go to Tua a lot easier
Until then i think fitz starts
Imo Davis is a starter on the right side, if only for his experience to start out.... have a hard time seeing Hunt and Kindley both starting but who knows

It's all about the O-line, dude. Tua is our future and we are not going to risk him with a crappy O-line after coming back from surgery to repair the dislocated ball in his right hip. O-line talent has been drafted and recruited in free agency but they need to gel as a unit and we don't know how long that will take. Fitz is a very experienced tough veteran who can handle the situation and take the physical hits if needed and he excelled in leadership in the tail end of last season to win some tough games. Tua gets the opportunity to watch and learn from Fitz. I concur 100% with phinking that there is no point in playing Tua until the other pieces are in place.

You can only heal so much. You can't get to more than 100%. If he is medically cleared to play, I don't believe it's about the oline.

It's about Flores believing that Tua has shown that he has a good enough grasp of the offense and NFL game speed to be able to deal with a bad oline. I'm not advocating that Tua should play at all this year. All I'm saying, is I agree with the guy in the video, that it's about Tua, and how well he grasps the offense, and how much he shows that he can handle pressure.

It doesn't matter when he starts playing, if he's 100% healthy, he's going to take hits. Even if you sit him the whole first year. Whenever he starts to get game time, he's going to get hit. So, either he'll stay healthy, or he won't. Sitting him longer doesn't change that at all.

Back
Top Bottom