Tua Tagovailoa is getting zero respect and that’s wrong | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa is getting zero respect and that’s wrong

I will take Allen and Williams games over all dolphin wrs playing 16 games. You forgot hunter Henry playing most of the season. You also forgot to mention your defense was so bad you had to throw to catch up in games. Won loss record not that great. I like Hebert but only thing was winning in crunch time at the end of games. He has improved from his college days. TUA is 1-0 against Hebert team.
Actually, the Chargers broke records for blowing very large leads (16+ point leads blown in 4 straight games two games after blowing a 10 point lead against KC) and really only had 2+ possession deficits late in just a few games. Their games were very nearly the opposite of what you are suggesting. Only 4 games were not one score games and two of those were wins in which Lynn took the ball out of Herbert's hands late.

Also, QBs do not play against other QBs unless a head coach decides to play a QB on defense.

Id like to hear your take on Herbert vs the Patriots.
That game featured arguably the smartest head coach against the stupidest, which led to the worst loss in franchise history despite the game being played against a less talented team. As Kellerman and Smith said on First Take the next day, if the coaches had switched rosters, the score would have been 90-0 in favor of the Chargers instead of 45-0 in favor of the Patriots.

Obviously, the game was an outlier from a statistical standpoint for Herbert as his passer rating was more than 30 points below his next lowest rated game. Those two games were the only two games in which Herbert posted a QB rating below 86.

That game featured arguably the smartest head coach against the stupidest, which led to the worst loss in franchise history despite the game being played against a less talented team. As Kellerman and Smith said on First Take the next day, if the coaches had switched rosters, the score would have been 90-0 in favor of the Chargers instead of 45-0 in favor of the Patriots.

Obviously, the game was an outlier from a statistical standpoint for Herbert as his passer rating was more than 30 points below his next lowest rated game. Those two games were the only two games in which Herbert posted a QB rating below 86.
Ok your saying the coaching wasnt very good that day, but they were smart leaving him in... In your honest opinion, would you say if he got benched that day, he wouldve gotten some criticism for it?

Ok your saying the coaching wasnt very good that day, but they were smart leaving him in... In your honest opinion, would you say if he got benched that day, he wouldve gotten some criticism for it?
No, if the coaching is the subject, I am saying much more than that. I am saying that the coaching was not very good on any day, not just that day. Lynn and Steichen were the best defenders for opponents all season long and Herbert, while dragging two coaching anvils around his neck and having very arguably the worst OL in the entire league, still broke numerous rookie QB records. I am saying that Herbert was actually much better than his stats demonstrated. I am saying that Anthony Lynn took a playoff caliber team with one very big flaw (the OL) and coached them not only out of the playoffs, but to a losing record notwithstanding a 4 game winning streak to end the season. The coaching was historically bad.

You do not think Lynn being fired and 3 new OL free agents being added (so far) is a coincidence, do you? These issues were things that were obvious.

And, to be perfectly clear, Herbert was never the problem. Every QB has a bad game from time to time. For example, I watched Peyton Manning throw 6 INTs against my Chargers in 2007, but I always thought he was a "pretty good" QB. Patrick Mahomes has had some less than great games and his OL usually gives him time enough to order a pizza before passing the ball. Elite QBs (and the best rookie QB ever) do not get pulled even when they are not having their best game. Statistical outlier games do not define players.

Finally, all I have ever said here about Herbert versus Tua is that it looks like some have been making excuses for Tua on this forum and were incorporating incorrect information about the Chargers as part of that analysis. I still think that there is nothing wrong with Dolphins fans admitting that in 2020 Herbert was much better than Tua. I mean that is just the truth. The QBs were not close at all in terms of quality of performance in 2020.

But I also agree 100% with those that have correctly pointed out that that comparison is limited to 2020 and does not mean that Tua will not improve or even be better than Herbert at some point in the future. You cannot make career comparisons after just one season.

Back
Top Bottom