Tua Tagovailoa is getting zero respect and that’s wrong | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa is getting zero respect and that’s wrong

This is spot on, no one deserves respect automatically on a sports field,, you have to prove yourself to get that respect even if it’s only given grudgingly, you’ve earned it

Except, there are different flavors of "respect." Respect of fans, respect of players/coaches, respect of opponents, . . .
Not all are gained at the same time. I agree, all take time, but fans' respect seems the most fickle. TT seems to have the team's respect. On to opponents.

Except, there are different flavors of "respect." Respect of fans, respect of players/coaches, respect of opponents, . . .
Not all are gained at the same time. I agree, all take time, but fans' respect seems the most fickle. TT seems to have the team's respect. On to opponents.
Yessir, fair point

Expectations were sky high for Tua this time last year, now they have dwindled down to virtually nothing. That might be a good thing. If Tua starts performing well his confidence could go through the roof.
This is the scary part...the bar now being set so low that ANYTHING becomes a marked improvement.

Tua's rookie numbers are basicly a half of a season. He started 9 games but in two of them he only played about a half. If you double everything he ends up with 22 tds, 10 ints and 3600 yards on a team that contended for a playoff spot. Is that really a horrible rookie season? Especially considering the talent around him, injuries and no training camp. People want to compare him directly to Herbert, but remember Herbert inherited a offense that was run fairly effective by Phillip RIvers. In other words Herbert got to take over the keys to a car that was already running smooth, while Tua took over a car that was a work in progress and a long way behind the one Herbert was driving.

Last edited:
Guys do not make it personal or your posts will be deleted

Attack the post not the poster

Tua's rookie numbers are basicly a half of a season. He started 9 games but in two of them he only played about a half. If you double everything he ends up with 22 tds, 10 ints and 3600 yards on a team that contended for a playoff spot. Is that really a horrible rookie season? Especially considering the talent around him, injuries and no training camp. People want to compare him directly to Herbert, but remember Herbert inherited a offense that was run fairly effective by Phillip RIvers. In other words Herbert got to take over the keys to a car that was already running smooth, while Tua took over a car that was a work in progress and a long way behind the one Herbert was driving.
As a fan of the Chargers, I have seen this excuse made on this forum several times about the difference in offenses in an effort to explain the difference between the performances for Tagovailoa and Herbert. For a different perspective, please consider that the Chargers have very arguably the worst OL in the entire NFL (worst per PFF, 31st and 32nd in pass and run block win rates, respectively, per ESPN). I actually read in another thread that one or more posters said the Charger OL was above average, which is absurd. And FWIW, Rivers has had a Hall of Fame caliber career, so the fact that Herbert had a better season than Rivers had the year before is telling.

As for skill position players, I agree that when healthy, the Chargers had better players in 2020. However, Keenan Allen started only 13 games. Mike Williams started only 11. Austin Ekeler only played in 10 games and in a couple after he came back from injury, he was clearly not 100%. Meanwhile, Herbert had 3 TD passes each to such household names as Jalen Guyton, Tyron Johnson and Donald Parham and another 2 TD passes to Gabe Nabers--all undrafted free agent nobodies until they teamed with Herbert. Herbert was PFF's top rated QB under pressure and accomplished everything he did despite being saddled with absolutely awful game plans and play calling. With even average play calling and in game strategy, Herbert probably would have put up another 10 or so TD passes and many more yards.

And everyone forgets that he did what he did in only 15 games as Anthony Lynn decided that it would be best for Herbert not to play in 2020 (just to give slightest glimpse into the sheer ineptitude of the coaching, coaching that would have completely negated the best rookie QB performance in NFL history, but for a medical accident).

I hope Tagovailoa works out for you guys and you all should be stoked about your upcoming draft, but I think it is okay to admit that Herbert is significantly better than Tagovailoa at this point. Maybe things will even out over time, maybe not. Ultimately, we will all see.

As a fan of the Chargers, I have seen this excuse made on this forum several times about the difference in offenses in an effort to explain the difference between the performances for Tagovailoa and Herbert. For a different perspective, please consider that the Chargers have very arguably the worst OL in the entire NFL (worst per PFF, 31st and 32nd in pass and run block win rates, respectively, per ESPN). I actually read in another thread that one or more posters said the Charger OL was above average, which is absurd. And FWIW, Rivers has had a Hall of Fame caliber career, so the fact that Herbert had a better season than Rivers had the year before is telling.

As for skill position players, I agree that when healthy, the Chargers had better players in 2020. However, Keenan Allen started only 13 games. Mike Williams started only 11. Austin Ekeler only played in 10 games and in a couple after he came back from injury, he was clearly not 100%. Meanwhile, Herbert had 3 TD passes each to such household names as Jalen Guyton, Tyron Johnson and Donald Parham and another 2 TD passes to Gabe Nabers--all undrafted free agent nobodies until they teamed with Herbert. Herbert was PFF's top rated QB under pressure and accomplished everything he did despite being saddled with absolutely awful game plans and play calling. With even average play calling and in game strategy, Herbert probably would have put up another 10 or so TD passes and many more yards.

And everyone forgets that he did what he did in only 15 games as Anthony Lynn decided that it would be best for Herbert not to play in 2020 (just to give slightest glimpse into the sheer ineptitude of the coaching, coaching that would have completely negated the best rookie QB performance in NFL history, but for a medical accident).

I hope Tagovailoa works out for you guys and you all should be stoked about your upcoming draft, but I think it is okay to admit that Herbert is significantly better than Tagovailoa at this point. Maybe things will even out over time, maybe not. Ultimately, we will all see.
Got stay healthy in nfl.. other than that herbert have bright future..Hurts played good too..he work his way into starting rolled. It up too him to losed jobs..if you are qb in 22 to 32 ranking.. you are replaceable...

I know everyone is bored in the off-season and there's nothing to talk about but comparing rookie QB's after one season is pointless. Jamis Winston threw for over 4000 yards in his rookie season and doesn't even have a team right now

Back
Top Bottom