Tua Tagovailoa seems to have the late game heroics gene | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa seems to have the late game heroics gene

Not so much vs the Raiders or Broncos.
Broncos he was getting the crapola knocked out of him and I wanted him pulled for his own safety.

Raiders was poor play (but I do think we were missing our whole WR corp?).

Everyone can have an off day, especially coming back from catastrophic injury.

But if you keep him upright, he will generally find a way.

Broncos he was getting the crapola knocked out of him and I wanted him pulled for his own safety.

Raiders was poor play (but I do think we were missing our whole WR corp?).

Everyone can have an off day, especially coming back from catastrophic injury.

But if you keep him upright, he will generally find a way.
As you know, Fitz came into that Denver came and almost won it. I know that “almost winning” doesn’t mean ****. Yet he breathed more life into the team in half the time than Tua did.

Raiders game? WRs or not, Fitz came in and performed infinitely better.

I fully understand that Fitzpatrick is a 15-16 year vet who of course was going to have more experience. Doesn’t change my opinion originally.

As you know, Fitz came into that Denver came and almost won it. I know that “almost winning” doesn’t mean ****. Yet he breathed more life into the team in half the time than Tua did.

I fully understand that Fitzpatrick is a 15-16 year vet who of course was going to have more experience. Doesn’t change my opinion originally.

Don't disagree. But, my view has long been TT's biggest flaw was uncertainty/hesitation. Not quite comfortable with 'NFL open.' Fitz, by comparison, is a gunslinger. Chance-taker. One trait is OK ahead by 10, the other is better behind by 10

except for when he's been pulled from the game late because he couldn't handle it.

The Raiders game was a fluke. Fitz had one touchdown drive, where he marched the team down the field.

IMO it was simply a poor situation for him. I saw the Denver and Raider's games as games where we came in expecting certain defensive looks and got different ones. We struggled to run and pass. Those teams just seemed to know what we were going to do. You can overcome that bad preparation with good adjustments and an experienced QB and receiving group, but not with an inexperienced QB and receiving group and a system that doesn't allow your QB to check out of bad calls. In college Tua showed that he had some pretty natural instincts, kind of what you saw with Marino early on. But those instincts can only show themselves if the QB is given enough latitude and trust.

The offensive coaching staff were completely unprepared for Marinelli's defense against the Raiders. Gailey admitted it at his first press conference after the game.

Don't disagree. But, my view has long been TT's biggest flaw was uncertainty/hesitation. Not quite comfortable with 'NFL open.' Fitz, by comparison, is a gunslinger. Chance-taker. One trait is OK ahead by 10, the other is better behind by 10
Understood. Perhaps with time Tua will adjust. He might have to!

A 50 yard catch and run by rb and a fluke at the end makes those numbers even more impressive.

I'm confused. why would the NFL credit TT with a 50 yd run, but not credit any other QB? Or do they? I'm not dismissing your argument, but stats applied to every QB can't be flagged because it happened to TT. Same as flukes. NFL stats allow fluke stats. Exclude them all, or none.

Dan Marino is my favorite player of all time.

He had the clutch gene in spades.

Tua still has everything to prove, and all I can say is i feel he has that gene too.

i haven't had that feeling with a fins QB since Danny.

I had it last year.
I’m hopeful, but I don’t see where we got that from last year.

Outside of the Arizona game, what were his best clutch moments?

I’m hopeful, but I don’t see where we got that from last year.

Outside of the Arizona game, what were his best clutch moments?
i'd have to go back and watch the games to see when exactly that vibe first hit me.

just from the original post, he won two of his 6 wins with 4th quarter game winning drives, the cards game you mentioned, then the pats game week 15.

cards was his second start, but i feel it was the Rams game in his first start, even though we didn't need him to pull that one out for us.

In his nine games started, Tua Tagovailoa had two with fourth-quarter comebacks, and both had game-winning drives. The teams played were the Arizona Cardinals and the New England Patriots, during week 9 and week 15.

The Cards game was won 34 to 31, Tua was 20 of 28 completions for 248 yards and 2 touchdowns. The crunch time scoring was done with Mack Hollins on an 11-yard pass to tie the game and a Jason Sanders 50 yard field goal to put it ahead.

Other scoring production came by Shaq Lawson, with a 36-yard fumble return that he also forced out and another Jason Sanders field goal, this one a whopping 56 yards, former running back Jordan Howard ran one in from two yards out, and Preston Williams with a 9-yard passing score

I'd love to have that type of performance he had against Arizona become the norm. That Tua with our new weapons will be deadly.
I knew he was good in the 2nd half but leading NFL in passer rating when the game is within one score in the 2nd half is very impressive.
I'll give him credit where credit is due, that is impressive and a great quality to have in crunch time in a tight game.

No. 9-13 182 yards and a TD isn’t a fluke especially compared to Tua’s numbers in the game.
That TD was a dump off to Gaskins for 60 yards... And the other highlight of that game is the definition of a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom