Tua take... | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua take...

The **** are you talking about? In this context, a full recovery absolutely translates to playing football again.

And wtf is this nonsense about him not going until the fifth? Jaylen Smith pretty much had his knee rebuilt from scratch and he still went at the top of the second, and they think a talent like Tua will slide to the bottom of the draft? Reading posts on this site kills brain cells sometimes.

I imagine he took out an insurance policy. Like a lot of other really highly rated college prospects have.

If he didn’t he should have.
It's called Loss of Value coverage, he would be able to collect based on the value lost due to his injury. Top players are insured for total disability in the event it is career-ending/life-altering injury and they are permanently disabled as a result of the injury. He won't be considered permanently disabled. The LOV coverage is a rider that is attached and would cover a perceived loss in the value of his potential earnings. Very complicated policy and in the end, he will probably collect only a few million, which is nothing to sneeze at but not nearly what he would have earned over his career as a professional.

The medical risks moving forward after a hip injury for an athlete are significant. Many athletes who "fully recover" injure their hip again, shortening their career. When talking about a player you ideally want playing 15+ years, it's a significant blow to their draft stock IMO.

I feel he might slip to the 2nd round or beyond.

Depending on what they find, in terms of damage, if and when they do surgery, could dictate how well Tua can come back. I'm very happy the Doctors have announced he's expected to make a full recovery. Based on reports of initial findings, it's looking like he'll play football again. The question now becomes, can he play at the high level he once did? And will the injury in spite of a full recovery, have an affect on his performance moving forward, due to residual issues? Is he still worth selecting in the top 3-5 picks? All questions no one call really answer at this point.

I’m pretty freaking sure there are going to be plenty of medical professionals able to pore over Tua’s injury, recovery progress, etc. leading up to the draft. Again, if the consensus if that he will make a full recovery, the Dolphins should and probably will take him with one of their first rounders.

Edit: Because there seems to be an odd debate on what “full recovery” means, read as “able to play the QB position at a high level again.”

"Tua Tagovailoa has a dislocated hip with a posterior wall fracture which can threaten his football career. AVN (bone death) of the ball of the hip can happen. Wish him best." Per Duke Orthopaedic surgeon & Co-Chief

It's the same injury that Bo had but the are saying it can be treated faster and better with modern medical techniques.

Tua will never be a dolphin, he's just fragile to play at the next level. Great kid and leader, at some point a player has to look out for his personal well being first. I wish him the best..

What is this voodoo nonsense? The forum experts have spoken. Not only is Tua done as a football player, he might as well start working on his bionic legs now, because he’s headed for a double amputation.
My take is that we won't know by the draft how he's going to respond to this injury since it's only 5 months after the injury. I certainly would not use either of our top 2 picks on him but maybe one of the next 3 depending on progression.

I'm sure a lot of teams are kicking themselves right now after they passed on Deshaun Watson after his many injuries.

Back
Top Bottom