Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis

As a Florida Gators fan, **** Alabama. :chuckle:
Still love Tua though, I appreciate excellent QB play something my Gators are in dire need of.

I think they are both excellent prospects but tua has a natural feel for the position that I don’t think anyone comes close to. Nor do I think it’s a learned skill.

He plays the game like a qb. He thinks the game like a qb. And he executes at a rediculously high clip. And his mentality is high to low too. Assassine like.

I think he’s the best prospect since luck and luck didn’t have anyone to throw to down field in college short of tight ends and he never had this level placement consistency.
on
True but I can also say there's never been a qb prospect with a Jeudy on their team creating that kind of separation.

This is what I was looking for - forget all the rest of that mess. You blitz from the edges and zone up behind it. Very good.

The way you play Trevor, and your best chance of shutting him down is by forcing him to dink and dunk you down the field and stress his accuracy. Make him throw underneath time and time and time again. But your DB's have to be able to come up and make the tackles. You can't necessarily worry about trying to stop Etienne - let him get his yards. You'd rather get in a scoring contest with him than those receivers.

What you can't do is just let his monster receivers man you up down the field all day and boss you on all those 50/50 balls for explosive plays downfield. Or get their best receiver on your worst DB. But the weakness is going to be up the seam - your safety must communicate and defend the hash no matter what. You can't let a guy get behind you right there on 3rd and long.

Trevor's accuracy is his weakness on shorter to intermediate throws. It's. All. Over. His. Film.

You can't play Tua like that. He's too accurate, gets the ball out too quickly, and he'll eat you up all day if you zone him or blitz him. The way you play Tua is to mix your coverage up and show him something completely different after the snap. Which will work until he's seen all of 'em.

He'll have seen all the coverages he's going to see before Trevor becomes a precision passer.

I'm taking Tua today. I'm taking him yesterday. And I'm taking him tomorrow.

I agree witb the right now you can get tua at times post snap. But I also agree that I don’t think you will be able to get him much longer.

Post snap verification is the one thing I wanted to see more of.

on
True but I can also say there's never been a qb prospect with a Jeudy on their team creating that kind of separation.

I mean that kids a imo long strider that also runs excellent routes and has excellent feet.

Most long striders don’t run great routes and have build up speed.

I don’t think he’s a burner but he covers yards with his stride with that ball in his hands like a gazelle. All while running exceptional routes and possessing high level feet.

Quite the tool box

That kid Ross at bama isn’t a slouch he’s just got a different skill set and different ideal usage imo

This game is too nuanced to just ask the question how would I play Tua or Trevor without factoring the skill set of my defense, but in general my defense calls would be more of a scheme vs scheme matchup. against Clemson offense you definitely need gap control from your LBs and lineman that won't get washed down but can also penetrate on the back end you need a zone based scheme since most kids in college can't press at a high level, so I'd mix quarters coverage for those verticals and two over the top to help guard vs outs and slants, I'd let them have the screens and stop corner routes and the dig.

Alabama's offense is much more west coast based this year (more Shanahan type than Bill Walsh) Duke tried to disguise a lot of their coverages pre snap and they played off coverage way too much. I still favor press coverage vs the West Coast Offense, disrupt the timing, blitzing won't work too well even the backs will be in the flats the majority of time but even without the extra protection Tua will get the ball off before the blitz get there.

I don't mind answering scheme knowledge or coverage based hypothetical type of questions but I'd rather ask questions about how their game will translate into NFL.

I don’t think you will wash out those bama linemen but I do think you might make some hay attacking that lb levels gap control play.

Looked suspect to me vs Duke. Of course that was game 1 and I believe they’ve been hammered by injury there.

I don’t remember all that zone read and pistol from tbe college football playoffs last year. Seemed to me they relied less on his legs and more on his pocket play.

I thought he was damn good during that run. But I do agree that his WRs rescue some underthrown or poorly placed vertical passes by doing what slimm said “mossing it”

Even that deep ball this week he completed that balls underthrown and the wr hulk smashed the db.

But I also think he’s a 2nd year starter I don’t see why those things can’t improve with reps and time.

I did see one real nice lateral pocket shuffle play where he moved laterally to space all the while eyes downfield and hit an intermediate breaking route in tbe middle of the field. Really liked that play. That route takes time to free up vs that coverage and he didn’t just take off with it.

This one ?

I don't have a problem with the 50/50 he threw to Higgins vs Georgia tech - that tells me he understands his personnel.

I mean that kids a imo long strider that also runs excellent routes and has excellent feet.

Most long striders don’t run great routes and have build up speed.

I don’t think he’s a burner but he covers yards with his stride with that ball in his hands like a gazelle. All while running exceptional routes and possessing high level feet.

Quite the tool box

That kid Ross at bama isn’t a slouch he’s just got a different skill set and different ideal usage imo

Ruggs is supposedly faster but I'd be shocked if Jeudy wasn't 4.3, he is leggy but so was Ginn and I think he get to top speed quicker than him too.

The only thing that worries me about Tua is his injuries. I hope he can protect himself this year and not take any unneeded hits.

This one ?

I don't have a problem with the 50/50 he threw to Higgins vs Georgia tech - that tells me he understands his personnel.

One of my favorite throws was the red zone fade at the :50 second mark. That balls placed exactly where I want it where if anyone makes a play on it it’s my guy. I loved that throw despite it being incomplete. Not a damn thing that db can do about it.

The first 2 drives I was like my gosh is he physically gifted. But it didn’t take long for me to say there’s something missing between the ears. Still looks more athlete than qb. 4th year starter too so that’s a major red flag for me with regards to the switch coming on in the pros.

He will murder the workout and measurables side of things so I’m sure someone still is gonna run that card up and say they can “fix him”

Maybe they will blame the coaching he’s gotten at Oregon I don’t know. I just don’t see the development in the qb side of things. Athlete playing qb instead of qb who happens to be an athlete

I’m starting to full on believe that all that zone read and pistol ask is a product of his limitations as a player more than anything else

Yea for me as well especially if you had serious injury history in the prior years but you still decide to return tells your lacking confidence. The errant throws in that game were brutal to watch.

Ruggs is supposedly faster but I'd be shocked if Jeudy wasn't 4.3, he is leggy but so was Ginn and I think he get to top speed quicker than him too.

Yeah I hate to mention ginn even but just in the sense that he’s leggy and a long strider type with the ball in his hands.

Totally different level though with everything imo. Well maybe not straight line speed but he gets there a lot quicker imo

One of my favorite throws was the red zone fade at the :50 second mark. That balls placed exactly where I want it where if anyone makes a play on it it’s my guy. I loved that throw despite it being incomplete. Not a damn thing that db can do about it.

Yea touch doesn't seem to be a problem for him.

Yeah I hate to mention ginn even but just in the sense that he’s leggy and a long strider type with the ball in his hands.

Totally different level though with everything imo. Well maybe not straight line speed but he gets there a lot quicker imo

True, I'm just referring to body type and the fact he still has great acceleration despite it.

Yea for me as well especially if you had serious injury history in the prior years but you still decide to return tells your lacking confidence. The errant throws in that game were brutal to watch.

There’s something missing. I don’t know if it’s internal clock or processing information which it looks like to me plays a lot into it but after seeing tannehill never develop that side of things in the pros when I know I’ve seen more QBs get better with those things over time and game reps it just really draws a red flag for me.

I don’t like the way he deals with pressure either. But that again comes back to processing information post snap imo

So much knee jerk reactions after being only 1 game into the season, PPL just want to give their hot takes instead of evaluating the whole season.

Back
Top Bottom