Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis

It’s now getting consistent to say that Tua reminds folks of the great Steve young, I know I said the same over a year ago, very similar size, lefty, has hi level escapability athleticism, he can escape, with eyes downfield, reset, throw, he can escape and run for yardage, because he’s smart enough to know that important trait, has compact delivery with quick release, hi level innate precision accuracy..and imo would be best suited for a west coast system with zone read concepts.. which sounds deadly to me btw.

I believe what makes Tua unique and is right there with prospects that I’ve personally projected to be elite QBs, is the versatility for which he plays the game/dual threat, and the efficiency for which it executes both skills doing so.

He’s a little different then Russel and Pat, in that you can structure a west coast system with him and I’d be comfortable with him just executing from the pocket at a hi level because of how good of thrower he is..However, in big games, in tight moments, when he needs the athleticism and awareness to make a play against pressure, he’s got the sixth sense the great ones have..

I feel the same about Tua as I did about Wilson, Luck and Mahomes..

The movements and speed for which he plays the position is just like a machine was built to do it, except this machine has a chip of ingenuity and intellect in it.

I think he could beat you in multiple ways, throwing 40 times a game, or ball control west coast system..The key to him and the team that drafts him is you are getting the playmaking trait as a bonus..

The way I project him is this, there is only one thing left on the list I’m looking closely at this year, the rest is elite, and that’s going through progressions from the pocket..If he passes that at the end of the year, then he’s without question imo a dark blue chip Qb prospect..

Sorry I just like talking about the guy, cause we just might be able to get him :)

Lawrence is definitely the favorite, but Fields has a real chance. I like his physical skillset better than Lawrence's, and I don't see Lawrence as so far along that Fields can't overtake him.

I could see that he’s quite physically gifted. I haven’t seen any pressure play though.

I'm not all about this Lawrence over Tua stuff that I keep seeing out there.

But I'm not going to end up liking a Justin Fields over Trevor Lawrence, either.

No offense to Fields. I like him. He's not that caliber.

There's nothing he can do better in terms of how he throws the football with the level of anticipation, timing, and accuracy that he demonstrates. It's legendary. He was born with it. He's better than just about any quarterback in the NFL right now at all three. He has those massive 10+ inch hands that contribute to the natural ability to spin the football so cleanly.

His stroke is so fast that you can't get a jump on it unless you already know the play and it's a pre-determined throw - and the WR whiffs on his block. That's why he doesn't throw picks to CB's very often. The few picks he has thrown were mostly to safeties that were just bad decisions.

What he has to prove is that he dedicated himself to changing his body a little bit (which he did) and showing that he's willing to just take what the defense gives him in terms of checking it down when the deeper routes are covered. Instead of waiting and waiting for that second or third window - and taking unnecessary hits. Just check it down.

He has to gain experience and see a lot of these coverages that defenses are going to switch to after the snap. A lot of that he had never seen before, because it was his first season as the starter, and usually only the best DC's with the best talent even mix up their coverages. It gets all young quarterbacks until they gain experience. Fromm, Trevor, Love, Tua, Peyton Manning - all of 'em. It's the experience factor.

Furthermore, playing under an OC that will mix in some wrinkles and not be so predictable against the best teams in the country loaded with 1st round NFL draft picks on defense that have had a month to prepare a game plan to affect him and him only. Go watch the Clemson or Georgia games and tell me they were trying to stop Bama's running game...

The best offense for Tua is one that takes advantage of his insane processing speed and ability to quickly get the ball out of his hand. He operates the RPO's at a masterful level. Mix in some WCO route concepts with a 3 step drop and he's just going to be hard to stop if you give him the 2.5 seconds required to execute the offense. He doesn't need more than that. Watch what he does this season under Sark.

I've been reading a ton on Tua the past few weeks and one of the things I see pretty often is that he struggles with recognizing blitzes pre-snap and more specifically where the pressure will come from. Do you give any credence to this?

What article was this in..Never seen it on film....If it was said a lot...should be easy to share those articles.

I'm not all about this Lawrence over Tua stuff that I keep seeing out there.

But I'm not going to end up liking a Justin Fields over Trevor Lawrence, either.

No offense to Fields. I like him. He's not that caliber.

I agree, PPL starting to talk crazy with the liking Fields better than Lawrence talk. I literally thought he was going to be legit competition after he beat Lawrence at Elite 11, but his film as a passer has been underwhelming so far.

Someone post a video of the rushing td today in the second quarter.

That’s Steve Young with Russell Wilson like feel for space

Somewhat awkward in step drops, pocket throwing mechanics and overall pocket movement( I'm talkin qb aesthetics not results) so I'm not crazy about the Steve Young.

It’s now getting consistent to say that Tua reminds folks of the great Steve young, I know I said the same over a year ago, very similar size, lefty, has hi level escapability athleticism, he can escape, with eyes downfield, reset, throw, he can escape and run for yardage, because he’s smart enough to know that important trait, has compact delivery with quick release, hi level innate precision accuracy..and imo would be best suited for a west coast system with zone read concepts.. which sounds deadly to me btw.

I believe what makes Tua unique and is right there with prospects that I’ve personally projected to be elite QBs, is the versatility for which he plays the game/dual threat, and the efficiency for which it executes both skills doing so.

He’s a little different then Russel and Pat, in that you can structure a west coast system with him and I’d be comfortable with him just executing from the pocket at a hi level because of how good of thrower he is..However, in big games, in tight moments, when he needs the athleticism and awareness to make a play against pressure, he’s got the sixth sense the great ones have..

I feel the same about Tua as I did about Wilson, Luck and Mahomes..

The movements and speed for which he plays the position is just like a machine was built to do it, except this machine has a chip of ingenuity and intellect in it.

I think he could beat you in multiple ways, throwing 40 times a game, or ball control west coast system..The key to him and the team that drafts him is you are getting the playmaking trait as a bonus..

The way I project him is this, there is only one thing left on the list I’m looking closely at this year, the rest is elite, and that’s going through progressions from the pocket..If he passes that at the end of the year, then he’s without question imo a dark blue chip Qb prospect..
I never noticed how good he was from the pocket until I watched some clips this week. He does a good job of shaking that first defender and buying that extra second. Sometimes his instinct as a runner takes over and he doesn't stay square or on platform. If he can learn to shift his feet better, and not become a runner he could be lethal

I've been reading a ton on Tua the past few weeks and one of the things I see pretty often is that he struggles with recognizing blitzes pre-snap and more specifically where the pressure will come from. Do you give any credence to this?

I do not. Struggles in what way? Is he getting sacked or not getting the ball out? Someone would have to provide specific plays illustrating this. He consistently gets the ball out - and to the proper receiver against the blitz, even in the "bad" games he's had. I've still only seen 2 that could even fall into that category against Miss St. and Georgia, and he was playing on one leg.

Are we just talking about reading online critics or have you actually ever watched him play? I honestly had no idea so many quarterback gurus existed until the internet came along. You couldn't find any 30 years ago.

I do not. Struggles in what way? Is he getting sacked or not getting the ball out? Someone would have to provide specific plays illustrating this. He consistently gets the ball out - and to the proper receiver against the blitz, even in the "bad" games he's had. I've still only seen 2 that could even fall into that category against Miss St. and Georgia, and he was playing on one leg.

Are we just talking about reading online critics or have you actually ever watched him play? I honestly had no idea so many quarterback gurus existed until the internet came along. You couldn't find any 30 years ago.
Ever notice,these people talk about all these articles that talk about how Tua struggles,but i can't seem to find said articles.:shrug:

Ever notice,these people talk about all these articles that talk about how Tua struggles,but i can't seem to find said articles.:shrug:

My favorite is how he has "terrible games against better competition". No its just that he cant keep up with his retarded pace against some of the best defenses in the country.

Here are his stats vs the following teams and their defensive rankings ( points per game allowed)

Georgia NC #4 - 166 yards 3 TDs 1 Int
LSU 2018 #39 - 295 yards 2 TDs 1 Int Rushing TD 1
Mississippi State #2 - 164 Yards 1 TD 1 Int
Auburn #15 - 324 Yards 5 TDs 0 Ints Rushing TD 1
Clemson #1 - 295 Yards 2 TDs 2 Ints

Passing Yards - 1,244
Passing TDs - 13
Ints - 5
Rushing TDs - 2
Yards per attempt 8.13

Those are far from terrible games. I dont understand that angle. TDs accounted for vs Ints is 3 to 1. Terrible my ass.

I agree, PPL starting to talk crazy with the liking Fields better than Lawrence talk. I literally thought he was going to be legit competition after he beat Lawrence at Elite 11, but his film as a passer has been underwhelming so far.

I’m pretty much with you on that. The nfls not gonna forget how lawrence looked as a true freshman in that national championship game and I don’t even know if fields can feel pressure and find space vs it. Heck I don’t think I’ve seen him moved off the spot this year unless it was of his own doing and not due to pressure.

But I do think he has high level tools and is a high end athlete. And we know the nfl loves that too.

Gonna be an interesting watch next year to see how his game evolves.

Somewhat awkward in step drops, pocket throwing mechanics and overall pocket movement( I'm talkin qb aesthetics not results) so I'm not crazy about the Steve Young.

Which Steve Young we talkin about? The nfl finished product one or BYU?

He may not be Russell but he’s more than capable

What’s jerky about that? Or awkward? He set up that has the angle second level defender #7 with that hard cut step and took away his angle to make the play.

Back
Top Bottom