Tua's 16 games in (Full Season) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's 16 games in (Full Season)

Is Tua still a C+ performer for you?

Moved up to 8th in the league in QBR currently to go with a 70.5% completion percentage.
No, he moved up to a B for me. I've said all along that once he stays healthy and strings together 3-4 good games in a row, that would make a believer out of me, and that this stretch of games is the perfect time to do it. He's looked really good the past 2 games.

If he can continue for a few more games, I think his status as being a good QB will have been earned, and moving forward from there if he has a bad game, that won't make him a bad QB, he'll still be a good QB who simply had a bad game, if that makes any sense.

I know what ur saying. It can be hard to let go of an "underdog" that one has been rooting for. Are you sure that isn't clouding your judgement?

Like I said, I don't believe his "camp" showing has much value.

It's like that old "definition of insanity" axiom.
Maybe. I waited a long time for Grant, with just glimpses here and there and a few game-changing plays in the return game. I see Waddle and Hollins as the keepers at wide receiver. The rest are either gone, or have to earn spots. Could be time to let go of Parker, Williams and Wilson. Sign a free agent who is solid/good, dependable and durable. Then draft a receiver maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'd say what Tua likely has in common with a few of his obsessive detractors is that "he holds his own" (for him on the field of course)

1638211943833.png

10-6 as the teams QB as a starter. Winning as a TEAM. This is a TEAM sport.
Completion Percentage over 16 games: 67%
Yards Thrown over 16 games: 3,515 yards
TD Thrown over 16 games: 21
INT Thrown over 16 games: 11
QBR over 16 games: 90.5

Tell me again why fans hate this kid. These numbers can win you games period and he is a winner at all levels.

It is mind boggling. WTF more do we want from him. He is a part of us winning games 4 this year and 6 last year. And if all 3 phases are working together as systematic unit we can win a lot more it is a proven fact and you will score more. Tua does his best to escape pressure feels it as he knows that he does not have the time (1.8 - 2.2) seconds total as the OL will make it hard on him and someone is in his face. Give this man 1 to 2 seconds more and he will be a TOP 5.

Keep improving Tua as I know you will. GO DOLPHINS!!! Onto the G-Men for win #5 in a row!!!!

Tell me again why fans hate this kid. These numbers can win you games period and he is a winner at all levels.

It is mind boggling. WTF more do we want from him. He is a part of us winning games 4 this year and 6 last year. And if all 3 phases are working together as systematic unit we can win a lot more it is a proven fact and you will score more. Tua does his best to escape pressure feels it as he knows that he does not have the time (1.8 - 2.2) seconds total as the OL will make it hard on him and someone is in his face. Give this man 1 to 2 seconds more and he will be a TOP 5.

Keep improving Tua as I know you will. GO DOLPHINS!!! Onto the G-Men for win #5 in a row!!!!
Not bad first 16 games stats at all. The best part of it is, it's his first 16 games...and he has shown he will improve given time and experience.

If he keeps his play going, particularly against some more tough defenses/teams, that'll significantly improve our chances of finally having a franchise QB. The Panthers were giving up the least air yards on the season and were 5th in DVOA, didn't matter. The Giants are 11th in DVOA, Jets 32nd, Nawlins 14th, Titans 13th, And the Cheaters 2nd...so top half of the league passing defenses in 4 of the remaining 5 games. Win or lose, if he can have a strong showing the rest of this season...I will be a happy man. That would be a bit ahead of the schedule I was expecting for him.

Edit: The Cheatriots' corners are picking people off left and right...will be a very good test for our offense, particularly if the game matters.

Last edited:

IMO all that is even more impressive b/c of how bad his supporting cast has been and how bad the support has been from the coaches/FO.

To answer your question, I think the lefty thing may be a factor. Many of his critics will cite their "eyeball test". Putting aside that most people have no clue how to evaluate QB play, lefties look a bit different when they throw. Combine that with lack of results (winning and offensive production) and the tendency for people to just blame the QB, and you have Tua getting undeserved hate.

Truthfully, I wanted Herbert because of Tua's injury.

Herbert started off faster and deserves the credit he has recieved. Tua may have started slower due to injuries, Watson, Flores, whatever, but he will have a higher ceiling as long as he stays healthy. Tua has done this with a lesser surrounding cast then Herbert or Burrow or Mayfield, or Hurts or whoever. Our Offensive line may not be the worst anymore but we are still bottom five. Parker, Preston, Wilson (always juking himself out of a first down), and Fuller essentially non-existent.

Truthfully, I wanted Herbert because of Tua's injury.

Herbert started off faster and deserves the credit he has recieved. Tua may have started slower due to injuries, Watson, Flores, whatever, but he will have a higher ceiling as long as he stays healthy. Tua has done this with a lesser surrounding cast then Herbert or Burrow or Mayfield, or Hurts or whoever. Our Offensive line may not be the worst anymore but we are still bottom five. Parker, Preston, Wilson (always juking himself out of a first down), and Fuller essentially non-existent.
Blows my mind too...Wilson was killing it in camp, by all accounts. He didn't previously have that "camp hero" reputation either.

Damn shame.

BUT…. you cannot argue his elite accuracy. His timing is great…Not good…..Great. His arm is good enough to get the ball there and he is starting to pick defenses apart. Keep in mind, today was against the #1 rated pass defense in the NFL. I would say that’s impressive.
Daboll was quoted about Tua: “most guys have door accuracy, fewer have window accuracy, and the really elite have doorknob accuracy. Then there’s Tua who has keyhole accuracy”

Daboll was quoted about Tua: “most guys have door accuracy, fewer have window accuracy, and the really elite have doorknob accuracy. Then there’s Tua who has keyhole accuracy”

I remember that quote he made. Funny thing is, when u think about it, why always cry about Tua not throwing long bombs more often when you have that kind of accuracy.

When all said and done with Tua and Co, when they create more chemistry, putting on a clinic of well timed short/medium passes like yesterdays 50 yarder will be just as exciting as a 50 yard bomb. BUT, we need healthy receivers.

They need to replace Willams too. I don’t care how cheap he is. Any professional player who has missed as much time injured as he has and then is suspended by the HC for a game doesn’t deserve to remain on the Dolphins beyond this season.

Also he just isn’t that good as a WR. I would rather see Hollins and Bowden on the roster next year as WR’s than Williams.
Williams has a ton of potential, unfortunately he can not stay healthy. I remember before the season started everyone was talking about all the talented WR's on our team. Apparently, only 1 of them can actually stay healthy and help us win. Parker is the same as Williams as far as im concerned. He has just been around longer. Has Parker ever played all 16 games in a season?

Heading into yesterday's game Tua was 9 of 17 (53%) on throws traveling 20+ yards beyond the LOS. Tua on average throws 20+ yards 8.27% of the time.

Heading into yesterday's game Justin Herbert, everyone's favorite young QB with his big powerful arm, was 15 for 30 (50%) on throws traveling 20+ yards beyond the LOS. Herbert on average threw 20+ yards 7.58% of the time.

Hmm...double standard?

BTW...Tannehill was 9 of 34.
I do not know why, but it just seems like everyone except most of our fans want to see Tua fail. It makes little sense considering how nice the guy seems. Maybe its just that people hate the Dolphins?

People look at yards too often too. Yes you don't want a qb passing like 198 yards. But tua had 230 yards and didn't need to because they got to a big lead early in the game. Herbert had 300 something yards 2 tds, but he threw 2 costly interceptions. And if you look further his completion percentage was low too in that game. They were behind too the chargers which also causes more passing and there will be yardage but that doesn't always mean it was productive yardage too. Herbert's good, but sometimes pass yards are looked into too much.
The people who criticize Tua for throwing short passes do not understand football. Especially the fact that it takes more then 1.6-1.8 seconds for a receiver to run a deep route. He does not throw many deep balls because the coaches know the O-line can not block long enough for it to succeed. The plays coaches call in are all designed to get the ball out in under 2 seconds.

I remember that quote he made. Funny thing is, when u think about it, why always cry about Tua not throwing long bombs more often when you have that kind of accuracy.

When all said and done with Tua and Co, when they create more chemistry, putting on a clinic of well timed short/medium passes like yesterdays 50 yarder will be just as exciting as a 50 yard bomb. BUT, we need healthy receivers.
and an o-line Tua can trust.

Back
Top Bottom