Tuesday's Qb School Report is up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuesday's Qb School Report is up

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
As usual I begin with my better late than never phrase! ;)

Today I had the pleasure of meeting FFIB at Training Camp, for toady's Qb school, and would like to say thanks to him for taking the time to meet up! It was a pleasure.

LET ME POINT OUT AGAIN that this is a practice that might as well be held in Pajamas, and TRULY cannot be a sure judge of things until the PADS are on and the real HITTING BEGINS!!!!

Now on to some action.

First we will do some offense, starting with the Qb's

First off I was wondering if I was seeing things when I saw # 9 throw a bullet strike, down the middle, right on the money, in stride to James McKnight? Low and behold James caught the pass too!!! :) Scratching my head, rubbing my eyes, rechecking the number, I was right, it sure was Jay Fiedler. Now this was no out pattern, but all the same a very nice throw, and catch (a throw and catch that should be made). Jay looked pretty good today, making more than his share of nice throws. Another throw slightly off the mark had McKnight come off his feet to make a nice grab, it was more of a dive, on a pass that was placed decently, so not to be an Int. Hats off to McKnight though! Fiedler also hit TE Alonso Mayes on a perfect throw over the middle!! Nice to see him spreading the ball around, or should I say nice to see Norv's offense here in Miami? Good always comes with some bad, as I felt Jay was holding onto the ball too much, causing himself to be touched by the DE's four times. I think Norv is forcing him to look too more than just his second option, trying to get him used to what's too come! He was pressured constantly by the DE's because they have the clear advantage without pads. It's also to a Qb's advantage to just sit there in the pocket, not having to worry about getting pounded, so things kind of even out! Jay still has lots to learn before Training Camp starts, and I was down on him on the last day of the last Qb School, but today I saw some improvements in his mechanics, and he made some very nice crisp throws. Still he made mistakes, and needs to keep working!

Man I tell you if Ray Lucas could grasp not only the offense but learn to put some touch on his passes he could be STARTING somewhere, maybe even here (not intended to bash ol Jay). Lucas has a cannon inside 25 yards, one that has some of the Wr's cringing when the ball is coming to them. He puts way too much on the ball at very close range, causing quite a few dropped balls. Yes, it is nice to throw hard, but just a little (LITTLE BIT) off the ball and he looks a thousand percent better! Even Orande Gadsden said they have a nickname for him, one that has to do with pain or lightning.......something to that effect. Anyway he hit TE Randy McMichael on a very nice throw and catch down the middle of the field. A real good gainer, that had Mac heading for the sideline, one that he might have been able to break for a Td. He also hit Selucio Sanford on a real nice crossing pattern, but to add with what I said before he was erratic today more than he was on the money.

Cade McKnown made probably the play of the day hitting Ronnie Daniel's right in stride, between three defenders. But don't get your hopes up too much, the pass KIND OF floated in, or at least I thought it did? Nonetheless it was nice. He is just SO INCONSISTENT that it's almost a shame. He overthrew the Wr twice in a row after that, and then threw a decent pass to the Rb out of the backfield! He has me baffled a bit! But I did notice Norv offering him plenty of advise after his every play, and that's encouraging for him I'm sure!

Norv also offered plenty of advice to Tim Levcik, who had seemed to take a step ahead of McKnown in the last camp. Levcik is becoming a camp FAV of mine! I like his arm strength, size, and the fact that he more of an in the pocket Qb! Shula also spent plenty of time tutoring him. He is has decent accuracy with the intermediate throws, but his mechanics need work.

Zak Kustok made a much better impression on me today. He is one that has better mechanics, but needs to be more accurate. However, he did not throw a single Int today, and made some nice throws.

Nothing spectacular out of the two undrafted rookies, but both showed they some improvements...... IN MY EYES of course!

On to the Wr's.......

A very nice sighting today at camp was seeing Cris Chambers running routes, and making his usual spectacular, or near spectacular catches. He looked to be running smooth, and with no pain. But he did not work in any DRILLS with the defense, just route running with the Qb's....basically playing catch! Exciting to see him out there all the same!

I'm going to keep this kind of short because other than camp fodder's only James McKnight looked good but he did drop the very first pass thrown at him, causing me to cringe a bit. He shook it off and put in a very nice days work. I had him catching six passes in the Drills, one being that nice catch by Fiedler over the middle! Another being the reach for the ball, kind of diving, falling catch that he used his HANDS to get!!! Nothing much else really worth mentioning here, Sam Simmons did not practice because he is still at school, but should be back in time for the next camp. Dedric did not practice. Ogden did nothing, And of the rest, only McKnight stood out. Orande was working out catching some balls but not MUCH work for him today!

Now the TE's are a different story! Alonso Mayes looked REAL GOOD today, his weight is way down, and he made four real nice catches. He looked (don't go too crazy yet) darn near Keith Jacksonisk going over the middle, running giant like Elephant, yet graceful like Antelope. He can catch it too! WE'LL SEE soon enough if he can block, or even keep this up when the pads are donned!

Randy McMichael is a smaller version of that same mold, one that surely can catch it, but can he block well enough, or learn too! He made one real nice grab from Ray Lucas, on a perfectly ran route that might have scored. He also got involved in some of the shorter receptions, but did drop two right too him. One with a defender right on his back, and the other looked to be tipped by Rodgers!

Jed Weaver got his share thrown his way as well but mostly short passes, or drop offs, kind of what a Rb would see a lot of! No drops by him, but a couple were uncatchable.

It was GREAT to see the TE's getting into the mix this early. Heck I think I saw more balls thrown their way today than all of last year!!!!

Running Game

Well, this is something that is a nonfactor at this time. No how, no way to get a good hold on anything other than how a Rb's vision might be, or how he might make a cut, but other than that ..........NO PADS, NO HITTING, NO TRUTH CAN BE TOLD!

Ricky Williams is making the best of it though, he still keeps going on and on after the whistle, and had Sam Madison talking all kinds of smack (all in fun). Madison kept going at him like he was MAD for Ricky getting that far, once he was sizing Ricky up, and received a nice little stiff arm to the neck, then proceeded to jump on Ricky's back! He just kept jawing at him all the while, telling him GET OUT OF HERE! Next play back to Ricky, which again ended up with Sam riding Ricky's back, this time out of bounds! They had me LMAO! Ricky did get plenty of work catching the ball though, and looked pretty comfortable with the patterns given to him, Robert Edward's did as well, both are pretty naturals catching the ball. Again No Travis Minor, so Leonard Henry got work with the third team, as did Marlon Barnes. Henry is a smooth runner, but nothing spectacular from him today. Running or Catching! Barnes made some nice receptions though.....

NO INTERCEPTIONS TODAY :D

Anyway it's late and I'm emailing this to FFIB so he can add some pics from today. I'll do a small defense report tommorrow.

Other than that come on with some Questions and I'll do what I can to answer them all!!!

Hope everyone enjoys the reading and have a good one!

Go Dolphins <{{>< <{>< <>< <>< <><

Appreciate it OZ! You got me pumped! I'm hoping to drive down from Orlando when training camps starts! Nothing beats seeing players/ coaches in person and up close.

:) :D :)

Awesome report Ozzy - thanks so much :jumper:

more from hotwire...

Dolphins | Lucas Looks Good - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:35 PT: The Sun Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said QB Ray Lucas looked good at practice Tuesday. "He's one of those guys that's got the mindset that he's competing to be a starter. If something happens tomorrow, he'll be ready to go. I think our entire team has that confidence concerning Ray," Wannstedt said.

Dolphins | Marion Skips A Day - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:33 PT: The Sun Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins S Brock Marion was excused from Tuesday's practices for personal reasons, but he is expected to be back Wednesday.

Dolphins | Wannstedt Talks About His Rookie QB - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:32 PT: The Sun Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said Tuesday rookie QB Tim Levcik is definitely displaying the arm strength he was advertised to have. The coach said he is a smart guy and the only issue may be how well he moves his feet. "Will he be able to move his feet well enough to do the things he has to do to play in this league. That will be the biggest question with him. It won't be arm strength or throwing the football," said Wannstedt.

Dolphins | Wannstedt Talks McNown - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:29 PT: The Sun Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said Tuesday QB Cade McNown must find a way to be more consistent. Wannstedt said McNown is putting forth a great effort. "He's really working hard. I'm pleased with that. He's just got to be a little bit more consistent. We'll see what happens," Wannstedt said.

Ozzy...............

Fantastic report as usual Oz. Keep up the great work!;)

For all the thanks...

Just wanted to let everyone saying thanks, that the pleasure is almost ALL MINE :jumper: :jumper:

I go to almost all of the mini-camps, and make all of training camp a must.....

I watched QB T. Levcik during the first mini, and he looks incredible for a rook.....

He's huge at 6-6 240, and his arm strength reminds of #13.....

Is he for real??......Pre-season should let us know just how good he really is, and if he's impressive, we could have our next great QB already!!!

I don't want to get too excited though. If he's a s great as he looks, he probably would have been taken in the draft.....I think he was an undrafted player that we decided to take a chance on....

IMO he looks better than R. Lucas, and C. McNown.

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Back
Top Bottom