Tunsil Signs Historic Extention | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tunsil Signs Historic Extention

The funniest part of the contract is that he negotiated it without an agent apparently.
I heard that as well. Smart move considering who he is negotiating with. Why have an agent take ten percent if you can walk in the room and ask for 22 million a year with no fuss?

As a fan without any finance or contract experience I have to say the deal doesn't look all that great to me and I doubt an agent would of let him sign such a deal. With the leverage he had he needed to sign a 6 or 7 year deal that had more than 2x up front and guaranteed money to protect himself from injury. I haven't seen the deal but on the surface it looks like he screwed himself and possibly cost himself 10's of million of dollars, big mistake not to have an agent negotiate on his behalf.

Again as a fan I see Tunsil the player having all the tools in the world, far better than what we have seen come out in 2020 except possibly Wills, that said Tunsil has not excelled into the best offensive tackle in the league as one would expect. As a novice scout I would put Tunsil's value at 16-17 mil a yr and as a GM I would of liked to have signed him to a performance based contract to motivate him, although with FA your forced to over pay players like Tunsil.

I bet his step dad is pissed now after he tried to sink him before the draft!

A couple of things.
As stated earlier at some point you put together a team and actually keep the key pieces.
We are not great at drafting so just because we got 4 picks doesn’t mean anything other than 4 warm bodies.
We will see.

Laremy's a good guy and was a great teammate from all I've heard. He was a top 25% LT, but:
a) not worth the $$$ he required
b) LT soon won't be a priority position

But good for him.

I was overjoyed when we drafted him but we got one hell of a deal in a trade for once.

To be brutally honest, he is not great in the run game and he has far too many ill timed penalties to be a treated as such a star.

In any case, good luck to him and may Austin Jackson outshine him sooner rather than later :thumbsup

Last edited:
The trade made sense for a lot of reasons but the Dolphins haven't "won" anything in the trade yet. We may look back and wonder why the hell did we traded a proven, very good LT when we were tanking for a QB?

Draft picks are never sure things by virtue of where they were selected (see Charles Harris). It's a gamble. We may end up with a bust and 2 mediocre players while Tunsil has a 15 year career and several probowls. Wasn't Kenny Stills was part of that trade too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom