Turner waived by the Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turner waived by the Dolphins

Do you really think Damien Williams is that special? Hell, the Chiefs don't even think he is that special. They just drafted a running back in the first round. And, what are they paying Williams any way? Close to nothing by NFL standards. The drop-off from elite level play at running back to acceptable level play at the position barely moves the needle when it comes to the level of success a team is capable of achieving.
Lol, sarcasm. I even had sarcasm written beneath, but deleted it. I should know better.

Williams played for us for 4 years and obviously we were never contenders. Over his 4 years in Miami he averaged just over 3.5 ypc.

Maybe he got a little better, but playing in the most explosive offense in the league has something (or everything) to do with it.

Last edited:
Charlie, seems your history's been scrubbed.

1 posting since 2009?

Dang!

:lol:
Lol. That's why I thought I had the wrong name. I searched for posts by username and nothing came up, but I was sure that was it.

But I no longer go by Charlie. I'm now The Blob, or Mr. Revolting if you wish to refer to me formally.

I think peope are somehow drawing a strange conclusion. Just becaue some teams have won without having the superior running back doesn't mean they are better off without the superior back. For example the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with Williams but I'm sure if they had a choice between Williams and McCafferey or Kamera they would take the better back and not be worse off because of it. Or the Patriots won the 2018 Super Bowl with Michel and Burkhead, but I'm sure they would hgave traded either back for Derreck Henry in a heart beat.
Sure they would take the better back, but that isn't the only factor. Would the Chiefs rather have Williams at the price they are paying him at $2.3 million a year along with a rotation of other inexpensive options at the position or would they rather have McCaffrey at the price he is getting paid at $16 million a year? Do the team results justify the drastic difference in salary's between the two. I mean the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with the inferior back, so how could they justify such a huge difference in expense and such a heavy hit on the salary cap at a position that has become marginalized in this era of the pass happy NFL?

Lol, sarcasm. I even had sarcasm written beneath, but deleted it. I should know better.

Williams played for us for 4 years and obviously we were never contenders. Over his 4 years in Miami he averaged just over 3.5 ypc.

Maybe he got a little better, but playing in the most explosive offense in the league has something (or everything) to do with it.
I was wondering why it had seemed like you were contradicting yourself ? :lol:

Kind of silly drawing conclusions to what the Chiefs do at running back and any other team. The Chiefs get by without a top running back because they have Patrick Mahomes, who honestly may be the most electric QB to ever play the game (short sample size I know). And they don't coast on the offensive staff, they do everything they can to scheme those players to success and create mismatches by design - even though they are talented enough at most positions just to win anyway, that isn't good enough. Damien Williams, a guy who has some physical skills and tenacity despite small size, has success in the space they create there.

We once had the best quarterback in the game too, only we never got him to a championship. Part of that was never once giving him a legitimately capable running back. I'd rather take that example and learn from it than learn what the Chiefs are able to get away with since they have Pat Mahomes and a great staff. And as others said, they drafted an RB round one, so obviously they think that is important.

Kind of silly drawing conclusions to what the Chiefs do at running back and any other team. The Chiefs get by without a top running back because they have Patrick Mahomes, who honestly may be the most electric QB to ever play the game (short sample size I know). And they don't coast on the offensive staff, they do everything they can to scheme those players to success and create mismatches by design - even though they are talented enough at most positions just to win anyway, that isn't good enough. Damien Williams, a guy who has some physical skills and tenacity despite small size, has success in the space they create there.

We once had the best quarterback in the game too, only we never got him to a championship. Part of that was never once giving him a legitimately capable running back. I'd rather take that example and learn from it than learn what the Chiefs are able to get away with since they have Pat Mahomes and a great staff. And as others said, they drafted an RB round one, so obviously they think that is important.
We actually did get to a Championship with Marino just lost it. We also never gave him any Wr's after the Dupers, or anything that resembled a Defense at all. I mean we give him a D that could hold team to just 25 and we are in another super bowl even with no running back.

We actually did get to a Championship with Marino just lost it. We also never gave him any Wr's after the Dupers, or anything that resembled a Defense at all. I mean we give him a D that could hold team to just 25 and we are in another super bowl even with no running back.
DAn need rb . Just like Elway did. Every qb need good rb,ol and wr. If u think qb us only position than u fool.

DAn need rb . Just like Elway did. Every qb need good rb,ol and wr. If u think qb us only position than u fool.
Dan needed a D more so than a RB especially in the early years. Scoring was not our issue giving up 40 points was. You get him a upgrade in WR and a D that could hold up and he wins us a SB. those where needed way more than RB.

Dan needed a D more so than a RB especially in the early years. Scoring was not our issue giving up 40 points was. You get him a upgrade in WR and a D that could hold up and he wins us a SB. those where needed way more than RB.
I dont have problem w dan the man..he was great qb but I hope dolphins find good or great rb to help Tua out.. in nfl..

I dont have problem w dan the man..he was great qb but I hope dolphins find good or great rb to help Tua out.. in nfl..
Don't get me wrong I hope we can draft a good one too I wanted Swift out of this draft. I like Bredia when healthy he is a really good back, I think people will se what he can really do given more touches

Yes but some seem to be taking the stance that teams should strive for the lesser/average back over the great back because it leads to more success that having a good back, as if those teams are winning championships because they didn't have talent at the postion instead of they won titles despite not having top flight talent at the position.
I get what you're saying but I think you are strawmanning their position. No one wants lesser running backs. They simply do not value the position that highly and would prefer we prioritize using our money and high draft picks at other positions.

I'm fairly sure you won't find a poster on this board that wouldn't jump at the chance to sign Derrick Henry to Howard's 5 million dollars, or been unwilling to trade the Breida 5th rounder for him.

So it's not about striving for lesser RB talent. It's about how they want to spend our limited assets.

Last edited:
It has more to do with the fact that I'm pretty sure he's recorded a total of 3 broken tackles in his career. I know in 2018 he ranked last (86 out of 86) in broken tackle percentage. Don't have the numbers for last year but they aren't good.

Sorry, but I'm not a homer and I attempt to evaluate players objectively.

And it's honestly very amusing that you are attacking me for being a "rookie." I have been posting on this site longer than you. I got sick with a very serious neurological condition while in school 5 years ago. I have begun to recover, which is why I have begun posting again. But I no longer have access to the school email I registered with, so I couldn't reset my password (I'm not even 100% sure I have my old username correct. Five years of brain inflammation can do a number on your memory). It has been years since I've posted, so I decided just to make a new account and not deal with any hassle.

So now that you know the pecking order, I'm assuming you'll give me the respect I deserve for simply being here longer. But thanks for the warm welcome back.
You could have introduced yourself and said this was your new user name. The important thing is you're feeling better and you're back so welcome brother.

...as an "old-timer" I've been slow to come around
to the fact in the contemporary NFL RB is a "value
position" first and foremost.

And perhaps there are 5 or 6 positions on the O
that demand more allocation of resources
including QB, WR, TE, OT and C.

For sure this is related to the "salary cap era"
and of course the focus on passing and having
a diversified O as opposed to having a traditional
run game.

So yeah the folks around here making the $ value
case re RBs are pissing on the right bush. IMO.

Last edited:
You could have introduced yourself and said this was your new user name. The important thing is you're feeling better and you're back so welcome brother.
I appreciate it.

I was never planning on bringing it up until I felt I was talked down to for being a "rookie." It's not like I posted enough where anyone would likely remember me from before.

And my health is still in constant flux, so I would have felt weird making an "im back" thread knowing I could very likely disappear 2 days later.

I'm just here to talk some Fins football with you guys during this exciting new era.

Either way, it's good to be back. Thanks.

Last edited:
...as an "old-timer" I've been slow to come around
to the fact in the contemporary NFL RB is a "value
position" first and foremost.

And perhaps there are 5 or 6 positions on the O
that demand more allocation of resources
including QB, WR, TE, OT and C.

For sure this is related to the "salary cap era"
and of course the focus on passing and having
a diversified O as opposed to having a traditional
run game.

So yeah the folks around here making the $ value
case re RBs are pissing on the right bush. IMO.
It wasn't easy for me to get used to it either. I'm in my 30's, but all my favorite players of my childhood were RB's. They were usually getting the handoff on first down, which set the tone for the entire drive in my mind. To me it was clearly the second most important position on offense back then.

Quite frankly, I preferred it when the game was more balanced. But every sport changes, and the teams that are ahead of the curve are the ones that win.

But that's actually what excites me about Flores. I think his overall defensive scheme (especially prioritizing CB's) has a lot of aspects to counter these air raid offenses. I think that in some ways other teams might soon be copying us.

Back
Top Bottom