Two-Point Conversion and Other Dolphin Topics | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two-Point Conversion and Other Dolphin Topics

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The success rate of the two-point conversion in the NFL was 60.8 percent in 2018. The team that wins the coin toss in overtime wins roughly 52 percent of the time. Not that that's an apples to apples comparison really, but I didn't hate going for two. The play call was a little sketchy. Had Drake caught the pass he might have been able to bounce outside and score, but it looked like a lot of Redskin defenders were there. Perhaps throwing a 50/50 ball to Parker or Williams makes more sense, but that's probably what Washington was expecting as well. I don't think it was a tank move, though.

Quarterback
There's still a good portion of the season left, but nothing about Josh Rosen's play has convinced me that he's the guy. I realize this is a tough spot for any quarterback, but the fact that Fitzpatrick played so well in the second half versus Washington, while Rosen really struggled doesn't help Rosen's case. Lots to like about the 2020 quarterback class even if somehow the Dolphins don't manage to get the #1 overall pick. Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Burrow, Love, and Eason are all garnering first round consideration, at least by draft pundits. Burrow is the fastest riser.

The Draft
Not much else to talk about with a season like this. Part of me would like to see Miami go almost entirely offense with early picks. But, really it makes sense to concentrate on the most valuable positions. Those are considered to be:

Quarterback -- Miami needs one for sure and this seems like the whole reason for the complete tear down (tank if you prefer).
Pass Rusher --- Big weakness for Dolphins
Corner --- Miami has one good one in Howard. Need someone opposite him.
Blindside Protector --- RT is Tua is drafted, otherwise a left tackle. Another glaring hole for Miami.
Wide Receiver --- Has some complementary pieces, but would love a game breaker at the position. This draft is loaded.

Other Thoughts
Miami is weak virtually everywhere so best player available, with a concentration on those premium positions, makes sense. I would love to see the team add two starting caliber offensive linemen in free agency. Hard to say who will end up making it to the open market at this point.

Last edited:
The biggest mistake we can make is bundle our picks for the 1st pick if we don't somehow earn it.

With our draft and money we can field a competent 8-8 team next year:

Draft:

Round 1: QB, DE, Tackle
Round 2: CB, WR

Other Rounds: RB, Guard, CB, DE, NT, CB

Free Agency (No home run players or contracts (ie Suh):

2nd tier Guard or Center, Tackle and DE for which we will overpay but hopefully for a team friendly contract. Other players as fillers (RB, WR, CB, Safety, LB).

Rosen to compete with new QB. If his play doesn't pick up he might as well be the backup. If new QB doesn't pass the eye test in 2020, the draft another QB in 2021 and trade Rosen. 2021 Draft: another Oline and Dline and rest on skill positions.

Back
Top Bottom