Two Quick Questions for everyone | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two Quick Questions for everyone

Becks7

Starter
Reaction score
a) Does anybody know where I can find the draft "points" chart that teams go by?

b) Say the 49er's were to reach a deal with Aaron Rodgers this weekend, would we then technically be able to negotiate a deal with Alex Smith before the draft?

If SF makes a deal with rogers, its all over folks..........the Saban era will begin with a bang!!!

No, because even if they reach a deal, nothing can happen until after the 49'ers select Rodgers on Draft Day. We are unofficially on the clock, but we officially can start after the San Fran pick. I don't know if we are allowed to talk to Agents.

Becks7 said:
a) Does anybody know where I can find the draft "points" chart that teams go by?

b) Say the 49er's were to reach a deal with Aaron Rodgers this weekend, would we then technically be able to negotiate a deal with Alex Smith before the draft?

A: http://www.nflfans.com/draft/images/valuechart.jpg

B: Ummmm, I'm not sure, but the question would be better worded "would we then technically be able to negotiate a deal with the guy we want to take with our #2 pick" because Alex Smith is most-likely NOT going to be our pick. I think if we knew exactly who we wanted we might be able to start talks, assuming SF closes with Rogers (or someone), but since we (as far as everyone knows anyway) aren't set on who we are taking yet I don't think we will start talks with anyone because we don't even know f we are staying at #2

we can talk with any agent about any deal... but it wouldn't make sense because we dont know what will happen before us... the pats can talk to players about a deal getting drafted at 32 or whatever, but they usually would'nt because they dont know if that player will be there or what might happen...

...but if San Fran signs Rodgers then yes, we do not what is happening in front of us. I'm not saying this would start on Monday but if the team ahead of you has already signed it's player wouldn't it be to the Fins benefit to discuss a contract with Alex Smith and if indeed he was their choice to sign him? I know this scenario is unlikely because we will probably try and trade the pick until the last second but in a hypo in which he was 100% the player we wanted I wonder if we could sign him?

Dont worry about it, we wont make a deal with Smith until he is declared a Miami Dolphin on draft day.

Becks7 said:
...but if San Fran signs Rodgers then yes, we do not what is happening in front of us. I'm not saying this would start on Monday but if the team ahead of you has already signed it's player wouldn't it be to the Fins benefit to discuss a contract with Alex Smith and if indeed he was their choice to sign him? I know this scenario is unlikely because we will probably try and trade the pick until the last second but in a hypo in which he was 100% the player we wanted I wonder if we could sign him?

nobody signs anyone till after the draft... its just verbal agreements on what the contract will be after they are drafted... nobody is signed before the draft...

OK, let me put it this way to make it more clear :shakeno:
Can the team picking #2 in the draft sign a player before the draft starts if the team sitting at #1 has already signed it's pick?

We could start negotiating with players after SF reaches a deal. Nothing, of course is official until SF (or a trade partner) makes their pick though. I know it's happened in the past, where the team with the #1 pick agreed to a contract with a player and then the team with the #2 pick began negotiations with the player they wanted. I'm just blanking on when.

arsenal said:
we can talk with any agent about any deal... but it wouldn't make sense because we dont know what will happen before us... the pats can talk to players about a deal getting drafted at 32 or whatever, but they usually would'nt because they dont know if that player will be there or what might happen...

That is not true I don't believe. I think that once San Fran agrees with whoever, they file the contract with the league, and then we, at #2, would be able to talk to whoever we wanted.

No other teams can discuss contracts with players before the draft except the #1 overall. Otherwise, that would be considered tampering.

Such as last year, if Eli knew that NY would give him more money than SD, he would tell SD he wouldn't play for them, like he did. The NFL wants to avoid a situatioin like last year as much as possible.

Thanks Rafael, that is the answer I was looking for :) ....Not "the Dolphins WILL NOT draft Alex Smith"

We can negotiate all we want, but If SF takes him then the deal is obviously dead. I think at this point everything is negotiated in principal anyways.

Back
Top Bottom