Two things.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two things..

perezferia said:
Time for a little lesson... "Getting a WR in free Agency" sounds great! WHAT WR? When the Giants snatched Peerless Price, the last quality FA the WR FA market dried up! There are a TON of RB's available still and maybe 2 QB's worth talking about. So...

Here you are, you're Coach Nick Saban. You have a football team that you've studied on film now for about 3 weeks intensely and you've formulated a plan of attack regarding the draft.

Question one: If you draft a QB, will that answer the QB situation this year or even next year?

Answer: NO! You brought in Frerrotte to compete with Feeley in order to hopefully GET some answers about who will lead this team. But you don't really know if Feeley will turn into Joe Montana or Ryan Leaf yet and you can't draft a position without properly ascertaining it's need, so...

QB is a position that will be addressed next year (unless Feeley or Frerrotte emerge as Pro Bowlers) because with Matt Leinart coming out next year it will be a much stronger class then.

Question two: If you draft a RB, will that answer the RB situation this year or next year?

Answer: Yes! But wait, RB's are a dime a dozen this year and we have a whole bunch signed ( we just re-signed Minor) and an unproven third round pick investment in Lamar Gordon. This pick, like the Feeley number 2 pick, have to be allowed to play themselves out. This next year will tell us if Feeley was worth a number 2 and Gordon a number 3. So I would NOT pick a RB with the number 2 pick in the draft.

Question three" If you draft a WR, will that answer the WR situation this year and next year?

Answer: YES! The Free Agent WR market is scary it's so bad! Linehan's entire Offensive system is designed to take advantage of the tall, fast WR STRETCHING the defense and creating underneath passing and running lanes. Chambers and Booker have no speed, they're both possesion recievers.

Drafting BRAYLON EDWARDS (WR) is the only smart choice. You don't bring in a marginal QB (in any other draft) or crowd the RB squad (we had the BEST RB in the league for 2 years and couldn't even make the playoffs) you let the players that are signed there prove themselves, and you give them one year to do it in. Hence all of SABAN'S one year deals he's signing.

You draft the next RANDY MOSS to operate in Linehan's system, you upgrade the offensive and defensive lines and try to make a deal for more picks with Surtain. Hey, AFTER the draft maybe you give up Surtain to the Chiefs for a 3rd or conditional 2nd 2006 draft pick.

Either way, you let the QB's you signed work it out, the RB's you've got prove themselves and you go get the stud WR that will make this offense competitive THIS year. With BOOKER and EDWARDS outside and CHAMBERS in his natural position in the slot, with McMichael up the middle wh the hell is gonna stop us? We just need solid RB play, upgraded O-Line work and steadier QB play. Our good defense will do the rest.

NO RB or QB this year. Edwards all the way!

Chris Chambers has no speed? What are you smoking?

perezferia said:
Time for a little lesson... "Getting a WR in free Agency" sounds great! WHAT WR? When the Giants snatched Peerless Price, the last quality FA the WR FA market dried up! There are a TON of RB's available still and maybe 2 QB's worth talking about. So...

Here you are, you're Coach Nick Saban. You have a football team that you've studied on film now for about 3 weeks intensely and you've formulated a plan of attack regarding the draft.

Question one: If you draft a QB, will that answer the QB situation this year or even next year?

Answer: NO! You brought in Frerrotte to compete with Feeley in order to hopefully GET some answers about who will lead this team. But you don't really know if Feeley will turn into Joe Montana or Ryan Leaf yet and you can't draft a position without properly ascertaining it's need, so...

QB is a position that will be addressed next year (unless Feeley or Frerrotte emerge as Pro Bowlers) because with Matt Leinart coming out next year it will be a much stronger class then.

Question two: If you draft a RB, will that answer the RB situation this year or next year?

Answer: Yes! But wait, RB's are a dime a dozen this year and we have a whole bunch signed ( we just re-signed Minor) and an unproven third round pick investment in Lamar Gordon. This pick, like the Feeley number 2 pick, have to be allowed to play themselves out. This next year will tell us if Feeley was worth a number 2 and Gordon a number 3. So I would NOT pick a RB with the number 2 pick in the draft.

Question three" If you draft a WR, will that answer the WR situation this year and next year?

Answer: YES! The Free Agent WR market is scary it's so bad! Linehan's entire Offensive system is designed to take advantage of the tall, fast WR STRETCHING the defense and creating underneath passing and running lanes. Chambers and Booker have no speed, they're both possesion recievers.

Drafting BRAYLON EDWARDS (WR) is the only smart choice. You don't bring in a marginal QB (in any other draft) or crowd the RB squad (we had the BEST RB in the league for 2 years and couldn't even make the playoffs) you let the players that are signed there prove themselves, and you give them one year to do it in. Hence all of SABAN'S one year deals he's signing.

You draft the next RANDY MOSS to operate in Linehan's system, you upgrade the offensive and defensive lines and try to make a deal for more picks with Surtain. Hey, AFTER the draft maybe you give up Surtain to the Chiefs for a 3rd or conditional 2nd 2006 draft pick.

Either way, you let the QB's you signed work it out, the RB's you've got prove themselves and you go get the stud WR that will make this offense competitive THIS year. With BOOKER and EDWARDS outside and CHAMBERS in his natural position in the slot, with McMichael up the middle wh the hell is gonna stop us? We just need solid RB play, upgraded O-Line work and steadier QB play. Our good defense will do the rest.

NO RB or QB this year. Edwards all the way!

So....when did Price go to the Giants??????

on NFL.com it says that Alex Smith is meeting with the Nick saban AGAIN.

I do agree that next year we should take a hard look at Matt Leinart, but do u HONESTLY think we will have a low draft pick next year to get Matt Leinart? I DOUBT IT.

Also, QBs win more Super Bowls. New England Patriots have a good QB, Antowaine Smith was a good RB, but he wasnt anywhere near Edgerrin James or Shaun Alexander. With that, Edge and Shaun havent won a Super Bowl yet. What 4 teams made it to the "Final Four" of the Playoffs. Pittsburgh, Philly, Atlanta, and New England....4 teams with DOMINANT QBs.

Yes Alex Smith is a Junior, he should wait another year. But we can EASILY find ourselves a dominant RB or WR in the Free Agent market. Its hard to find a decent QB in the FA. And i dont think a 4th round QB is gonna be a star. Right now is our ONLY chance to get another "Dan Marino", i say we take that chance. Then later on in the draft we can take a receiver and posssibly Darren Sproles. Darren is my Role Model, i want to see him in a Dolphins jersey!

ItalianDolFan said:
My buddies and i were talking about the draft, and right now it seems much more than likely we will draft a QB with the #2 pick. The reason, i learned is this:

We learned that its hard to find a quality QB in the free agent market. After Marino, we've gone thru Fiedler, Feeley, Lucas, now Frerrote, and so far no luck, plus Frerrote will retire in 2-5 years from now. And u wont see Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, or Michael Vick in the Free Agent market anytime soon!

We need a runningback, but runningbacks dont win championships. We have 5 RBs on our depth chart now. If our O-line improves, our running game improves. Plus, getting RBs from the Free Agent market is not a bad idea.

We could get a great receiver. But we have Chambers, Booker, Thompson, Welker, McMichael can catch too. So a receiver is not a big option. Altho id love to have Braylon. Plus, getting a receiver from FA's is an okay idea.

So with that...with the fact that we gotta stop looking for Free Agent QBs who never prove much...its probably a better idea to get a TOP QB from the draft, and hope in 3 years from now he is as good as Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, or Ben Roethlisberger...therefore QB is not a problem for us anymore. :cool:

Secondly...i learned today that San Diego's backup QB (Phillip Rivers) is making 34 million over 4 years. Im sorry, but when does a BACKUP QB make 34 million?? That sickens me:fire:

hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if we draft a qb you might as well prepare to go to the doctor because you will get even sicker when the season starts and our new "stud qb" is behind gus and the wonder boy aj feeley!!!!!! then what have we done? we have a guy making (#2 draft pick money) holding a damn clipboard instead of ronnie brown running for a buck 20 a a game!!!!!!:yell:

ItalianDolFan said:
on NFL.com it says that Alex Smith is meeting with the Nick saban AGAIN.

I do agree that next year we should take a hard look at Matt Leinart, but do u HONESTLY think we will have a low draft pick next year to get Matt Leinart? I DOUBT IT.

Also, QBs win more Super Bowls. New England Patriots have a good QB, Antowaine Smith was a good RB, but he wasnt anywhere near Edgerrin James or Shaun Alexander. With that, Edge and Shaun havent won a Super Bowl yet. What 4 teams made it to the "Final Four" of the Playoffs. Pittsburgh, Philly, Atlanta, and New England....4 teams with DOMINANT QBs.

Yes Alex Smith is a Junior, he should wait another year. But we can EASILY find ourselves a dominant RB or WR in the Free Agent market. Its hard to find a decent QB in the FA. And i dont think a 4th round QB is gonna be a star. Right now is our ONLY chance to get another "Dan Marino", i say we take that chance. Then later on in the draft we can take a receiver and posssibly Darren Sproles. Darren is my Role Model, i want to see him in a Dolphins jersey!

Read your sig for what win's Superbowls. Defense wins! You can win with a Trent Dilfer, so I dont think we need a Pro Bowl QB. Brady doesn't dominate, he just plays smart. Peyton Manning is a dominant QB, but did he win the SB? You have to be able to run to control the clock and have a dominant defense to win the SB. An average QB can get the job done.

perezferia said:
Time for a little lesson... "Getting a WR in free Agency" sounds great! WHAT WR? When the Giants snatched Peerless Price, the last quality FA the WR FA market dried up!

When did this happen? :shakeno:

There are a TON of RB's available still and maybe 2 QB's worth talking about. So...

I'd love to know who :confused:

News Flash, Rodgers is better than Leinart and regardless we will not be in a position to even think about drafting him next year.

I'll take any of the top 3 over any RB on our roster.

Edwards is as far from "the next Randy Moss" as Chambers is from a possesion reciever. If you wan a speed reciever, wait til the 3rd or 4th and pick up Courtney Roby.

That was one of the most miseducated post I've ever read. :shakeno:

Yes we have Gus Frerrote.....but he is in his 12th year, in the next 3 years, he will be done. Sage Rosenfels is not a decent backup, 3rd stringer is just fine. So we'll need a young guy to backup AJ Feeley, or compete with AJ...u cant expect Gus to be here for another 7-10 years.

still can trade one of the QB if we pick one in the draft. My quastion is if we cut one and another team pick him up then we dont have to pay him. right?

Roman529 said:
We already have THREE QB's (Feeley, Frerotte, Sage)...I doubt we draft a QB with our #2 pick. We need a RB now.

And we have 5 RBs so maybe we should go kicker with the #2 pick because we ony have one at the moment.

Look at it this way:
Feeley = Gordon (Possess talent but are unproven)
Frerotte = Morris (Vets who have played average over their career)
Minor = Rosenfels (Pity signing because no one else wanted them)
Forsey, King, Coburne = Training camp bodies who have no chance of making the team

We are at the same place at both positions. What makes QB a bigger need is the importance of the position and the difficulty of finding a franchise QB. We have the oppurtunity this year so we must take advantage of it.

Anthony3454 said:
Look at it this way:
Feeley = Gordon (Possess talent but are unproven)
Frerotte = Morris (Vets who have played average over their career)
Minor = Rosenfels (Pity signing because no one else wanted them)
Forsey, King, Coburne = Training camp bodies who have no chance of making the team

We are at the same place at both positions. What makes QB a bigger need is the importance of the position and the difficulty of finding a franchise QB. We have the oppurtunity this year so we must take advantage of it.

yes, agreed 100%. I dont know why Miami signed Rosenfels or Minor, we have too many guys as it is. I wish we would cut all of them except Morris and Gordon, cut Rosenfels, and just draft a franchise QB, and a RB later on

ItalianDolFan said:
yes, agreed 100%. I dont know why Miami signed Rosenfels or Minor, we have too many guys as it is. I wish we would cut all of them except Morris and Gordon, cut Rosenfels, and just draft a franchise QB, and a RB later on

Don't worry, there will be over 83 players on our roster when TC opens. They will get cut when we go down to 53.

Back
Top Bottom