TYLER LINDERBAUM - Whatever it Takes | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TYLER LINDERBAUM - Whatever it Takes

If Ruddy is your favorite center for the Dolphins, you obviously weren’t a fan when Stephenson played for the Dolphins. If not for his injury which cut short his career, he would likely have gone down as the greatest NFL center in history.

Even though he only started 87 games in his shortened career. He was so dominant at his position that he was voted into the pro football HOF and is listed as one of the top 100 players of all time.

Ruddy was an okay center but Stephenson was in a class of his own as a center in the NFL.
I just rewatched that 1985 bears game with ole Dwight about a hour ago.

Touchdown makers can be picked up quickly. Besides, how many teams have made it to the Superbowl without the big name skill players? A lot. They're overrated.

You clearly haven't been paying strong attention to the current day NFL.

The teams largely contending for titles have elite play makers. The exceptions are those with elite defenses. And even then many of the teams led by defense still had an an elite offensive play maker.

Today's game is won by scoring touchdowns. Lots of them.

Kansas City has been in the conference championship 4 years in a row. While they have an elite level QB, they also happen to have 2 of the best play makers in the game. Even their 3rd and 4th guys are damned explosive.

The LA Rams just won the SB with a top tier defense but also with a receiver that led the league in most notable receiving categories. Who also just happened to win MVP of that game.

Buffalo has risen to contending status and did so after trading for Stefon Diggs, who leads their talented play making group.

Touchdown makers are at a premium and the very best ones aren't "picked up quickly" or easily.

That all said, those teams also boast capable or strong offensive lines. There's no doubt about that.

I think it's been proven easier to build a good line with lower round picks than it is to find the very best play makers in the game at those same spots. Most of those types of play makers are found in the top 2-3 rounds of the draft.

Last edited:
As someone who knows almost nothing about college football, it was nuts to see Humphreys overwhelmingly considered all of the above:

-a guy who was going to be plug-and-play
-would go in the 2nd/3rd
-floor was a “sure bet”
-loved by lots of posters unanimously here

And the dude outperforms all expectations. All-Pro level as a rookie. And did go in the late 2nd right?

And we’re over here fumbling along with eleven guards and historically bad performances across the entire line.

How does a professional team miss this SO bad? This is 1+1 type of stuff here.

Wondered the same thing.

I couldn’t have mentioned him more if I were one of his parents, this time last year.

You clearly haven't been paying strong attention to the current day NFL.

The teams largely contending for titles have elite play makers. The exceptions are those with elite defenses. And even then many of the teams led by defense still had an an elite offensive play maker.

Today's game is won by scoring touchdowns. Lots of them.

Kansas City has been in the conference championship 4 years in a row. While they have an elite level QB, they also happen to have 2 of the best play makers in the game. Even their 3rd and 4th guys are damned explosive.

The LA Rams just won the SB with a top tier defense but also with a receiver that led the league in most notable receiving categories. Who also just happened to win MVP of that game.

Buffalo has risen to contending status and did so after trading for Stefon Diggs, who leads their talented play making group.

Touchdown makers are at a premium and the very best ones aren't "picked up quickly" or easily.

That all said, those teams also boast capable or strong offensive lines. There's no doubt about that.

I think it's been proven easier to build a good line with lower round picks than it is to find the very best play makers in the game at those same spots. Most of those types of play makers are found in the top 2-3 rounds of the draft.
I agree. I saw a study years ago that was looking at SB teams and their make-up. It looked at which positions the SB teams had pro bowl players at. Now this was more than 10 years ago that I saw this, but what struck me was the relatively high percentage of pro bowl WRs and Ss on the SB teams. IIRC those positions were something like # 2 and 3 behind QB. It surprised me b/c those are positions that have tended to be considered less important by some. I suspect that as the passing game has progressed in importance that percentage might even go higher going forward. Obviously "pro bowl" isn't necessarily the same as "elite play maker", but there is a quite a bit of over lap.

I pretty much expect to be disappointed by FA and the draft.
We'll see where the team is after week 4 and we'll know how good a job anyone's done then.
We had Brandon Albert and Laremy Tunsil on the same line and we still couldnt run the ball when we needed a key first down.
There's a Lot to this process so Im gonna (mostly) hold judgement until the Roster Tetris game and offseason preparation is done.
If Tua's running for his life at 1.4 seconds post-snap then Ill do other **** on Sundays. It's that simple.

We'll see where the team is after week 4 and we'll know how good a job anyone's done then.
We had Brandon Albert and Laremy Tunsil on the same line and we still couldnt run the ball when we needed a key first down.
There's a Lot to this process so Im gonna (mostly) hold judgement until the Roster Tetris game and offseason preparation is done.
If Tua's running for his life at 1.4 seconds post-snap then Ill do other **** on Sundays. It's that simple.
Didn't Ajai make the pro bowl the year the big guys played together?

if not Linderbaum (which we are out of the marker of due to picking 29th), I want Ryan Jensen signed.

I would sign Armstead and Jensen or another top center in FA and draft a G/C in the draft - Linderbaum or Zion. With the cap space that we have we should be able to pick up 2-3 OL that can start for us, a RB, a WR, and an edge. That way we draft BPA to fill oline, LB, WR, RB versus reaching for a need.

imagine going into the draft with our oline filled, Cooper at WR, and Conner at RB for example. We can now grab the best players to help our team no matter what the position. Linderbaum falls you can take him. Lloyd is there at LB we can take him, one of the top WR’s falls we can take him… No more drafting for need and getting guys like Jackson, Noah, Eich….

I have no idea why you expect to be disappointed by the draft. The Dolphins had the best draft in the entire league last year and it wasn’t even close. They drafted 3 quality starters with their first three picks and Eichenberg and Long still have a chance of being solid starters.

Free agency is always a crap shoot and hopefully they will get at least a couple of quality starters from this years draft picks.

Your first statement says you expect to be disappointed and then a few lines later you state you are going to withhold judgement until the roster and preseason is done. So like usual you are trying to play both sides of the field while remaining negative.

If our staff thinks Zion Johnson can play center (and Applebaum would have a good idea), I would be very interested in him.

Yeah, Center isn't very deep in this draft. You obviously have Lindetbaum at #1. After that my next target would be Zach Tom from Wake Forest. Dude played C, G, and T during his time at Wake, with C/G being his ticket in the NFL. I have him as the 2nd best Center prospect we could go after.

Edit: From a scout at the Shrine Bowl

View attachment 95872

Add to his resume;

Zion has great feet and takes great angles. Add to it he has a great base and anchors well plus his numbers on the bench and combine drills show a player with power. Did 32 reps in the bench and had a massive wingspan of 82” + WI’ll be a solid guard for 10-12 Years in the league.

Back
Top Bottom