UDFA Signings | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UDFA Signings

We got our first Basenji in 1975, joined the Basenji Club of Cincinnati and trained her at the Queen City Obedience Club where she finished 3rd in her class behind a Golden and a Sheltie. That was when I started to realize the incredible potential this breed has. Our girl was small; a 14" high 16" long Tri-Color. she weighed 16 pounds and had a big heart. No, she wasn't sweet, she was a confident "I own the world" Basenji.

My Vet said she had a big heart. I asked what that meant. He said her heart rate was 1/2 of what he would expect from a dog her size. That wasn't a problem because she had a strong pulse and was quite active. I realized that the speed she showed when she ran was based on her proportions (slightly longer than high) a long neck that all Basenjis have, but isn't obvious due to the large amount of mussel in its neck, and the thermodynamics of supplying oxygen for muscular activity for long periods of time, which took advantage of her large heart.

When I took her out to try Lure Coursing, the people at the Miami Valley Gazehound Society were not very interested in seeing "one of those dogs" run. They had their Afghans, lots of Afghans, some Whippets, a few Borzois and some other "fast" breeds. Finally the owner of a 15 month old Afghan "puppy" that had wan her heat was selected to run with bagel, my Basenji.

It was a hell of a race.

They covered the 1st leg neck to neck at which point Bagel decided to "play" Basenji style with the big furry dog she was running with and went after her neck to show her who was the boss. This occurred just as the Afghan began to turn and follow the lure which had made a 90 degree change indirection. Bagel got knocked into a backward roll while her momentum carried her over 20 feet away from the direction of the Lure.

The Afghan people thought that was wonderful and yelled and applauded the Afghan which was now 1/2 way down the 2nd leg of the course. Bagel stopped her spinning skid, went after the Afghan, ran her down AND CAUGHT HER at the beginning of the 3rd leg of the race. She was going to show that Afghan who was the boss and dove for her throat. The Afghan had just started 90 degree turn onto the third leg of the race and Bagel ended up with a mouth full of grass as she tunneled into the adjoining corn field.

Again she picked herself off and again she ran down and caught the Afghan again. The Afghan had about enough of this little dog that was 1/3 her size and threw her head into Bagel (an Afghans head was as big as my entire dog). Bagel went down in a lump, the Afghan went after the Lure and Bagel picked herself up and ran the Afghan down again. This time the confused Afghan broke off the race while Bagel, who had decided the Afghan was no fun to play with, stayed on the lure.

Bagel finished the race with the rabbits skin in her mouth and a smattering of polite applause and a lot of people talking about her blinding speed. At the time of this race Bagel was 9 months old. Over the 3 years I raced her, she made a lot of friends in the club and for her breed. She won almost every race she ran.

At a National Basenji Specialty Show a few years later, one of the Afghan owners I raced against was contracted to make a painting of a Basenji mother and some of her 1/2 grown pups as a prize for that show. While she painted from photos of Basenjis, she used her artistic talents to emphasize their unique appearance, such as their winkled heads and almond shaped eyes. One of the pups is looking out of the painting at the audience. She looks a lot like old Bagel. I asked the painter how she did that and she told me when she painted that pup she put Bagels face on it from memory.

I have had 4 basenjis as family pets over 35 years and I can tell you of their many unbelievable capabilities. They were all alphas except Princess who was a finished Champion and came from a kennel closing that was looking for good pet homes for their Basenjis. She was an almost normal dog in that she was a beta. We still have the pewter candy dish that's about 1/4 " thick with puncture wounds from our 1st Bagel. It was such a good name we gave it to our last Basenji, a really big 30 pound 18" tall Basenji. His temperament and our first girls temperament were exactly the same. He was a Trindle with the new African blood line. The new African blood lines were brought in to stop a genetic disease that affected many Basenji breeding programs.

What I like most about my Avatar is it's the look many posters might have when they read some of the posts on this board - LOL
This was really fun and interesting to read. Thank you sharing, Ray!

You can mark me down with an Etienne was the worst pick of the first round vote... just a horrible use of resources for an awful team.

...and I thought it would be Leatherwood to the Raiders.
I live in Jax and was surprised by the pick. Coach reported he will use sets where both Etienne and Robinson are involved and will also use Etienne in the slot. He called it a "slash".

We got our first Basenji in 1975, joined the Basenji Club of Cincinnati and trained her at the Queen City Obedience Club where she finished 3rd in her class behind a Golden and a Sheltie. That was when I started to realize the incredible potential this breed has. Our girl was small; a 14" high 16" long Tri-Color. she weighed 16 pounds and had a big heart. No, she wasn't sweet, she was a confident "I own the world" Basenji.

My Vet said she had a big heart. I asked what that meant. He said her heart rate was 1/2 of what he would expect from a dog her size. That wasn't a problem because she had a strong pulse and was quite active. I realized that the speed she showed when she ran was based on her proportions (slightly longer than high) a long neck that all Basenjis have, but isn't obvious due to the large amount of mussel in its neck, and the thermodynamics of supplying oxygen for muscular activity for long periods of time, which took advantage of her large heart.

When I took her out to try Lure Coursing, the people at the Miami Valley Gazehound Society were not very interested in seeing "one of those dogs" run. They had their Afghans, lots of Afghans, some Whippets, a few Borzois and some other "fast" breeds. Finally the owner of a 15 month old Afghan "puppy" that had wan her heat was selected to run with bagel, my Basenji.

It was a hell of a race.

They covered the 1st leg neck to neck at which point Bagel decided to "play" Basenji style with the big furry dog she was running with and went after her neck to show her who was the boss. This occurred just as the Afghan began to turn and follow the lure which had made a 90 degree change indirection. Bagel got knocked into a backward roll while her momentum carried her over 20 feet away from the direction of the Lure.

The Afghan people thought that was wonderful and yelled and applauded the Afghan which was now 1/2 way down the 2nd leg of the course. Bagel stopped her spinning skid, went after the Afghan, ran her down AND CAUGHT HER at the beginning of the 3rd leg of the race. She was going to show that Afghan who was the boss and dove for her throat. The Afghan had just started 90 degree turn onto the third leg of the race and Bagel ended up with a mouth full of grass as she tunneled into the adjoining corn field.

Again she picked herself off and again she ran down and caught the Afghan again. The Afghan had about enough of this little dog that was 1/3 her size and threw her head into Bagel (an Afghans head was as big as my entire dog). Bagel went down in a lump, the Afghan went after the Lure and Bagel picked herself up and ran the Afghan down again. This time the confused Afghan broke off the race while Bagel, who had decided the Afghan was no fun to play with, stayed on the lure.

Bagel finished the race with the rabbits skin in her mouth and a smattering of polite applause and a lot of people talking about her blinding speed. At the time of this race Bagel was 9 months old. Over the 3 years I raced her, she made a lot of friends in the club and for her breed. She won almost every race she ran.

At a National Basenji Specialty Show a few years later, one of the Afghan owners I raced against was contracted to make a painting of a Basenji mother and some of her 1/2 grown pups as a prize for that show. While she painted from photos of Basenjis, she used her artistic talents to emphasize their unique appearance, such as their winkled heads and almond shaped eyes. One of the pups is looking out of the painting at the audience. She looks a lot like old Bagel. I asked the painter how she did that and she told me when she painted that pup she put Bagels face on it from memory.

I have had 4 basenjis as family pets over 35 years and I can tell you of their many unbelievable capabilities. They were all alphas except Princess who was a finished Champion and came from a kennel closing that was looking for good pet homes for their Basenjis. She was an almost normal dog in that she was a beta. We still have the pewter candy dish that's about 1/4 " thick with puncture wounds from our 1st Bagel. It was such a good name we gave it to our last Basenji, a really big 30 pound 18" tall Basenji. His temperament and our first girls temperament were exactly the same. He was a Trindle with the new African blood line. The new African blood lines were brought in to stop a genetic disease that affected many Basenji breeding programs.

What I like most about my Avatar is it's the look many posters might have when they read some of the posts on this board - LOL

That brings back some memories. Basenjis have such interesting personalities. Of course, they can be primitive and almost wild in a sense. And everyone knows them for their yodeling. And, obviously, they are for the most part so energetic. When they got loose, rounding them up always was a chore.

We had one that would sing along with our records. Another decided GI Joe's hands made an appealing snack.

My family raised them and then huskies, so we had two kinds of dogs with such eccentric personalities.

Thanks for sharing this.

It was a hell of a race.

I never clicked on the picture.

I thought it was a bunch of Corgis this whole time!

That brings back some memories. Basenjis have such interesting personalities. Of course, they can be primitive and almost wild in a sense. And everyone knows them for their yodeling. And, obviously, they are for the most part so energetic. When they got loose, rounding them up always was a chore.

We had one that would sing along with our records. Another decided GI Joe's hands made an appealing snack.

My family raised them and then huskies, so we had two kinds of dogs with such eccentric personalities.

Thanks for sharing this.

Only other Basenji owners can really appreciate the things these little rascals can get into. - LOL

Genetics have identified the Basenji as the most ancient of the domestic dog breeds. The Basenjis digestive system is closer to a wolves then any other domesticated dog. They are designed to eat several times a day.

They are the most intelligent domesticated dog, as was discovered in some long term testing over several generations done in the 1950's, but aren't particularly interested in pleasing anyone but themselves. That's why they are so hard to train. They learn the commands the first time they are taught, but that doesn't mean they will perform them. They really are stinkers and that's probably what I enjoyed most about them. Like a 2 year old child that is smart, but totally indifferent to commands.

A Beagle breeder Joined our club and she is the one that pointed out how superior the Basenji's sense of smell was. She claimed it was significantly better then her Beagles. You've read what mine could do lure coursing and now Basenjis, Italian Greyhounds and Whippets are the most common and effective coursers today.

Their strength is beyond belief. Their closest genetic relative is the Chinese Afghan. They are almost as closely related to the East Siberian Laika in Russia and the ancient Basenji's were, based on genetics, the source of all the sled dogs. There is convincing genetic evidence among the mummified dogs found in Egypt (over 6,000,00 to date) that some were the same as our current Basenjis. This could be the Egyptian dogs in exodus that didn't bark.

Talking about these dogs never gets old for me. I hope you have a chance to get re-acquainted with them. Put a fin on one of there sweaters and you can have your own Dolphins real live mascot.

It was a hell of a race.

Only other Basenji owners can really appreciate the things these little rascals can get into. - LOL

• Rob Jones, OL, Middle Tennessee State
  • Jerome Johnson, DT, Indiana
  • Jaytlin Askew, CB, Georgia Tech
  • Carl Tucker, TE, Alabama
  • Jabril Blount, Power Forward
...and if I'm not mistaken, this takes us up to 89 players, leaving us room for a single UDFA that has not been identified.

I would have brought in a sh*t load of wide receivers, linebackers, and running backs and hope I could strike gold. It's a total waste bringing in any more defensive backs or defensive tackles with how deep this team is at those positions. None of those UDFA have a chance at those positions.

• Rob Jones, OL, Middle Tennessee State
  • Jerome Johnson, DT, Indiana
  • Jaytlin Askew, CB, Georgia Tech
  • Carl Tucker, TE, Alabama
  • Jabril Blount, Power Forward
...and if I'm not mistaken, this takes us up to 89 players, leaving us room for a single UDFA that has not been identified.
I wonder if (because of the amount of TEs we have on our roster) they will try to switch Tucker to Fullback. He is 6'2 240 lbs. He is known for being a good blocker and also has good hands, so i think he may be able to make that switch.

I would have brought in a sh*t load of wide receivers, linebackers, and running backs and hope I could strike gold. It's a total waste bringing in any more defensive backs or defensive tackles with how deep this team is at those positions. None of those UDFA have a chance at those positions.
Agree! And dont forget, they got two more TE in Tucker and Blount. But no LB or RB.

Back
Top Bottom