UDFA's I'm excited about | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UDFA's I'm excited about

utahphinsfan

Club Member
Reaction score
1) Meeuwsen the FS from Oregon St.
2) The WR from Marshall I can't remember his name
3) Kay-Jay Harris from WVa

Signing Harris will ensure Ricky does not return. I'll guarantee that 1 if not 2 of the 3 will not be in a phins uniform when the season starts Forsey, Minor, or Vic King

I was pleased with the draft especially Ronnie & Roth and can't wait until the season starts. I think 7-9 would be a realistic record. That all depends on Feeley which ultimately depends on if Houck can work his magic.

no it doesn't, remember Minny had 3 good RBs when Linehan was OC there so we it is possible we have a backfield of Brown, Ricky, Harris, and even possibly Gordon. and if ricky does come back he probably will sign to minimum salary so we don't have to worry about cap space

Kay-Jay has the best chance to make the roster. I see Morris being moves back to fullback(will get more carries then your normal FB). With Morris and Evans locked in at the FB position, and Brown and Gordon locked in at the RB position, only one spot remains. Forsey and King really have no shot, so it will be between Minor and Harris. I think Harris can take the spot from Minor.

I think Saban may try and shop Gordon around. see if he could get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

signing any of them doesnt affect any of our current players at all. have u seen what the titans are doing i think they signed atleast 30 undraftd free agents and atleast 3 of them were qbs and i dont think mcnair is in trouble of losing his job. rickys coming back(to my dismay) but i am excited about our udfa too!!!

godfater21 said:
I think Saban may try and shop Gordon around. see if he could get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.
I hope not. I actually hope Saban extends Gordon's contract, because he is a FA after this season. Gordon when healthy will give us better depth then when we had Minor behind Ricky.

Strengths: Is a raw talent who showed flashes. Has loads of upside if he continues to develop. Has a very good combination of size and speed. Has good initial burst, hits the hole hard and can be a load to take down when he runs with good pad level. Is as powerful as it gets when he runs low and delivers the blow. Is a good athlete for his size. Has a terrific vertical jump for his size. Is a tough runner with good initial power. Has decent hands as a receiver and is a big weapon when he gets the ball in space in the passing game. Also has the size and strength to become a good pass blocker if his awareness and angles improve.

Weaknesses: Is still unproven. Took four years away from football to pursue baseball career. 2003 season was his first as a DI-A football player and he was a backup. Also had trouble staying healthy as a senior in 2004. Possesses good speed for his size but lacks explosive speed. Will have a more difficult time turning the corner in the NFL. Isn't overly elusive and won't make many defenders miss in space. Doesn't have great patience and vision is inconsistent. Tries to make things happen too often and will get in trouble. He has work to do in terms of his technique as a blocker. Also needs to improve his feel and consistency as a route runner. He also will be 26 years old as a rookie in the NFL. Needs to be in better "football shape" and must improve his flexibility in order to stay healthy enough to carry a full load as an NFL running back. Mental capacity; 12 on Wonderlic Test.

Overall: Harris, a junior college transfer and former minor league baseball player, is an intriguing draft prospect because of the flashes he's shown when healthy, but he's also an enigma because of the limited carries he has had as a result of backing up Quincy Wilson in 2003 and nagging injuries in 2004. He averaged 5.8 yards per carry in 2003 and 5.9 yards per carry in 2004, but only 231 carries in two seasons begs questions regarding stamina and durability. Harris improved his draft stock with a solid performances at the Senior Bowl and the combine, but there are still a lot of questions regarding his NFL potential. Harris has good hands and great size/strength as a blocker but he needs a lot of technique work and more experience in both areas. He also still needs to improve his vision and patience as a runner. However, Harris definitely shows that he has the potential to develop into an impact player in the NFL. Harris' healthy showing at the Senior Bowl and strong overall post-season helped him move back into the first day of the draft. Simply put, the team that takes a chance on him in the third round will know that he is a classic "boom-or-bust" prospect.

rating: 76 Scouts Inc

Davis: score: 65
Strengths: Is as natural as it gets in terms of his pass catching and route running. Is quick, fluid and smooth. Has a great feel for reading coverages, finding soft spots and setting DB's up vs. man-to-man. He is one of those guys that lacks explosive speed but just knows how to separate. Is extremely fluid in and out of his breaks. Shows burst out of his cuts without having to gear down. He is subtle and has a lot of quick double moves that he uses to get open. He knows how to work back to his quarterback and is a WR that consistently seems to bail his QB out of bad situations. His hands are outstanding. He rarely drops a catchable pass and he shows the consistent ability to pluck on the run and catch over his shoulder. He gives a solid effort as a blocker, as well.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal NFL measurables. Has just adequate height, bulk, strength and speed. Could have some trouble getting off the LOS in the NFL vs. bigger cornerbacks in press coverage. Is not a huge vertical threat. Is quicker than fast. Won't win a lot of jump balls and isn't a huge threat in the red zone. Doesn't have explosive speed after the catch and isn't a huge home-run threat.

Overall: Davis redshirted as a true freshman in 2000 and has been a fulltime starter since. He is one of the most productive receivers in this class. In his first three seasons at Marshall, Davis had 220 receptions for 2,975 yards with 16 touchdowns from 2001-'03. With Darius Watts (Broncos) gone to the NFL, Davis became the primary target for the first time in his career as a senior in 2004 and he finished with a career-high 86 receptions for 914 yards with seven TD's. Davis' lack of ideal NFL height and speed will likely cause him to slip out of the first day of the 2005 draft but we still think he's an underrated prospect that will eventually develop into a very good No. 3 slot receiver in the NFL or a reliable complementary No. 2. He reminds us a lot of Darrell Jackson (Seahawks) in that Davis doesn't have great measurables or top end speed but has the quickness and know-how to consistently separate.

the safety, score:30
Strengths: Is a terrific playmaker as a centerfielder type FS. Has excellent instincts and recognition skills. Gets a great jump on most plays. Shows the ability to read the quarterbacks' eyes and has a very good feel for tendencies. Takes great angles to the ball in the air. Has very good size, long arms and decent leaping ability to challenge for the jump-ball. His hands and overall ball skills are outstanding. He is mostly a drag-down tackler in the running game. Will do an adequate job as a last-line-of-defense type in that facet of the game.

Weaknesses: Is not physical or tough enough. Does not attack the run as hard as he should. Lacks power and overall strength for a player his size. Is a drag-down tackler that won't show a lot of power or pop at the POA. Lacks good speed and will struggle to cover as much ground in the NFL as he does in college. Is not nearly as effective in man-coverage as he is in zone. Does not show much potential as a special teams player in the NFL. Lacks versatility.

Overall: Meeuwsen redshirted in 2000. He saw considerable time and flashed a lot of potential from 2001-'02 but a shoulder (2001) and sprained knee (2002) injuries slowed him down. He started all 13 games as a junior in 2003 and finished with 52 total tackles, 1.5 TFL, six INT's and four PBU. Meeuwsen also started all 12 games and finished with 72 tackles, five TFL, four INT's and nine PBU. Meeuwsen has very good size and was an absolute playmaker in the passing game as a centerfielder at the free safety position in college. He had 18 career interceptions and was only a fulltime starter for two of those four seasons. However, while he has a very good build; Meeuwsen is not overly physical or aggressive in run support. Furthermore, his marginal speed really thwarts his NFL potential as a centerfielder-type at the next level. Meeuwsen might get some late attention in the 2005 draft as a possible sub-package defensive back that can play in certain obvious passing situations, but he might not have enough versatility, toughness or speed to make it at the next level.

Josh Davis sounds like another J.R. Tolver. Sounds like the same receiver to me.

He's got a bit more speed than Tolver though.

I could care less about Berlin. The ones with a good chance at a roster spot are Harris, Davis, and Mitchell(better idea than Edwards I think, or cut Howard).

MelbournePhin said:
i too, could care less about Berlin. Kay Jay Harris could be a gem

He got a 9 on the wonderlic... :jawdrop: , That's pretty bad. I hope he is a steal. I was surprised he wasn't drafted.

So what about the Wonderlic. Its an overrated test. UM averaged a low score last year as well, look at the football talent we put into the NFL. I want Berlin to succeed. He's a Cane, and deseves a shot.

Back
Top Bottom