UM on ESPN.com | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UM on ESPN.com

popularwar

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't have Insider but I'd like to know what the article on the front page of ESPN.com is saying about The U. If any of you have access to Insider, I'd appreciate you telling me what it said.

popularwar said:
I don't have Insider but I'd like to know what the article on the front page of ESPN.com is saying about The U. If any of you have access to Insider, I'd appreciate you telling me what it said.
I assume you are refering to the team preview of the upcoming season. I am not going to post the whole article, but here is the summary at the end.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

Miami was expected to dominate the ACC when it joined the new league, just as it dominated the Big East in its final years there.

Instead, the 'Canes have stumbled against middle-echelon ACC teams each of the past two seasons and have failed to claim an ACC championship or to earn a BCS bid.

Grading the Hurricanes
Unit
Grade
Offense
A-
Special teams
A
Defense
A+
Intangibles
A
That's why Coker is feeling the heat -- two straight trips to the Peach Bowl might be a big deal at Clemson or NC State, but it's a downright disaster in Miami.

There's considerable pressure to turn things around this season and regain some of the Hurricane swagger. Several former Miami stars -- including ex-Dallas receiver Michael Irvin and NFL linebacker Jon Vilma -- were on hand for the spring game to remind the current 'Canes of the legacy they are expected to uphold.

A deep, talented defense ought to be good enough to make that happen with merely minimal improvement on the offensive side. Wright appears to be growing into his job at quarterback, but it remains to be seen if the pieces around him are falling into place. Is there a Clinton Portis/Edgerrin James in the backfield? And will Moore or Leggett finally emerge as a Santana Moss/Reggie Wayne threat at wide receiver?

There's no reason this Miami team can't put it all together. The schedule is as favorable as it's going to ever get -- a trip to Louisville is the only conceivable nonconference threat and all the toughest ACC contenders -- Virginia Tech, Florida State and Boston College -- have to come to the Orange Bowl.

So maybe this year at least, the high expectations of Miami fans are not out of line. This is a team that should contend for the ACC title and a return to the BCS picture. With just a little good fortune, this is a team that could be in the national title chase.

And if it doesn't happen, Coker might have to do more than shake up his staff to keep the wolves at bay.

Back
Top Bottom