UNC- Will they get the death penalty? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UNC- Will they get the death penalty?

CedarPhin

King of the Moondoggers
Club Member
Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AvcyuSGqc4cVvOltVsCSLXY5nYcB?slug=cr-uncagents092910

Prominent NFL agent Gary Wichard and former University of North Carolina assistant football coach John Blake have engaged in multiple financial transactions since May of 2007, a four-month investigation by Yahoo! Sports has found.

Wichard and Blake are now at the center of NCAA and North Carolina Secretary of State probes, which are seeking to determine the nature and scope of alleged agent tampering involving the football program. Those investigations have also focused on Tar Heels defensive tackle Marvin Austin, who has made at least five trips that have come under scrutiny. Two of those trips included training at a California facility less than two miles from Wichard’s agency, Pro Tect Management. Yahoo! Sports has obtained a hotel receipt from one of those trips, which lists Austin’s name above Pro Tect Management, as well as an address and Marriott Rewards number belonging to an NFL marketing agent who represents two current Pro Tect clients.

So how far does this rabbit hole go?

I don't think we will ever see the death penalty again...The NCAA has seen the economic effect of what happened to SMU.
But..I think they get somewhere in the area of what Bama and USC got.

This has got to be a stiffer penalty than Bama and USC.....i think this is going to be huge. No death penalty, but I do think Butch will be out of a job at year's end and their football program may never fully recover.

On a side note, this whole thing has me a little scared about the guy writing the book about all the infractions that began during Butch's time at Miami. It's not that far fetched to think some of this stuff was going on in the Gables while he was there.

Only thing is, the NCAA can only prosecute things back 5 years from the time they start their investigation, so the 2001 team would be in the clear.

I think it'll be a stiff penalty though for UNC.

I'd go on a rant about the dude allegedly paying players at UM from 2005-2007, but I've got to go wash my car.

Like Namor said, we probably won't ever see the Death Penalty again. Even the NCAA will admit now that what they did to SMU in the 80's was excessive. But SMU was already on probation for other rules violations when those allegations that did them in came out so they ended up being labeled a "serial repeat violator" by the NCAA, and those are words nobody wants to hear. To my knowledge, UNC's football program doesn't have much of a history of rules violations, so they'll be able to avoid the "repeat violator" label. That said, they're still in some pretty deep ****. The information that keeps slowly crawling out of this is getting worse and worse. If USC came as close to the TV ban as they reportedly did, I would wonder if UNC actually gets it along with an X-year postseason ban and some scholarship reductions if this all blows up like it probably will. This could get ugly fast.

I too don't see a death penalty because of COphinphan said about being a repeat violator. This still is going to get pretty ugly though imo.

I thought USC's penalty was too severe for the infractions that were committed. North Carolina on the other hand, they won't see the death penalty but they should get the next closest thing to it. That's some shady, shady stuff coming out of Chapel Hill and it's prime example of what an actual "lack of institutional control" looks like. Also, if I was a reputable agent I would be super pissed at Wichard right now.

Butch will be taking the first bus out of Chapel Hill.

Mark my words, he'll jump at the first viable job that offers him a Head Coaching gig.

North Carolina football's going to be sinking to Duke records yearly. This program's in trouble, and unlike Alabama or USC, they don't have the past or pull to every fully rebound from it.

Back
Top Bottom