Uncapped year Not a Big Payday for Players?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Uncapped year Not a Big Payday for Players??

putter1013

Active Roster
Reaction score
So I am reading my ESPN the Magazine and I come across this.

"Unrestricted Free Agents are likely to take a hit this offseason too. The Uncapped Rules limit them to raises totaling no more than 30% of their 2009 salaries. Also, the maximum Number of contractual bonuses that allow UFA's to increase their pay - for statistical milestones, say, or Pro Bowl Appearances - have been cut from 8 to 3. That Hurts."

Full Article : http://www.zinio.com/pages/ESPNTheMagazine/Feb-22-10/416117107/pg-50

So A guy who was making say 3 Million a Season, can have a salary no higher than 3.9 million a season according to this rule. So albeit that 2010 will be uncapped it will limit how much money players actually can get in salary. The only thing that I am unsure about is how this affects bonuses.
It doesn't say that a team can't guarantee 50 Million to a player or anything like that, but just thought this was interesting enough to point out.

So my question to you is this: Does this impact a guy like Karlos Dansby who is only going to be allowed so much money over what he made last year. Does that take out the Higher spending teams advantages over the Dolphins. Say like the Redskins, Cowboys, etc. This could be an advantage for the Dolphins unless it boils down to Bonus money not being limited. Then we are right back in the same boat IMO!

Itcould mean players only wanting a 1year deal or a 4yr with an opt out clause after 1 to take advantage when the cap comes back.

It basically makes it so a team can't sign a player and make it a HUGELY front loaded contract (making it a small cap hit when the cap comes back) which I thought would be a good possibility with the bigger name FA signings. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom