Unconventional Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unconventional Mock Draft

Blitz

The Big Zonk
Reaction score
I don't see any harm in thinking outside of the box, so here's my unconventional mock draft:

#07 - Derrick Johnson (OLB - Texas) *
#31 - Charlie Frye (QB - Akron) **
#35 - Darryl Blackstock (OLB - Virginia) **
#46 - Ciatrick Fason (RB - Florida) ***
#70 - Corey Webster (CB/S - LSU)
#94 - Anttaj Hawthorne (DT - Wisconsin) **
4th Round - Chris Henry (WR - West Virginia), Fred Gibson (WR - Georgia) or Larry Brackins (WR - Pearl River CC) [at least one of them is bound to fall this far]
5th Round - Travis Daniels (CB/S - LSU)
5th Round - Anthony Bryant (DT - Alabama) ***
7th Round - Brandon Jacobs (RB - Southern Illinois)

* - Obtained via trade with Vikings (#2 for #7 and #18)
** - Obtained via trade with Eagles (#18 for #31, #35, and #94)
*** - Obtained via trade with Chiefs (Patrick Sutrain for #46 and the Chiefs' fifth-round pick)

End result: We leave the draft with our QB of the future (If we pick him, hopefully he'll be the guy we've been looking for since Marino retired. I'm not sold on him, but I cannot overlook the fact that I keep hearing that Saban loves the guy), a new starting RB, two CBs Saban is familiar and comfortable with, and two LBs and DTs who will most likely allow us to make the move to the 3-4 this year.

Will the Eagles and Chiefs give up that much for #18 and Surtain respectively? Well, I'm sure the Chiefs do not want to head into next season without a shutdown corner to inoculate Randy Moss. I'm confident we'll at least get their second-round pick unless one of the top three CBs falls to them in the first-round (unlikely IMO). As for the Eagles, they currently have 13 picks. If they make the above trade, they'll still have #63 and #77. If anybody at the bottom of the first-round is going to trade up to #18 it's the Eagles. I'm confident they'll at least give up #31 and #35 for #18.

BTW, I think Hawthorne made a major mistake by testing positive for marijuana at the combine (What a friggin' idiot...I don't expect my NT to be a genius, though), but he has so much talent that we'd have to take him if he fell this far (And it looks like there's a strong possibility he will fall to the bottom of the third-round)...

Let me stress that I'm not saying I think this is probably what we're going to do. It's called an unconventional mock draft for a reason, folks...

I like this except I'd take J.J. Arrington over Blackstock and use the Fason pick for a defensive player.

Dont bet on Saban taking anyone from LSU. I doubt he would draw that unwanted attention from the media and other outlets about him keeping ties with his college players. That and we all know what happens when a college coach makes it to the big time and brings a few friends with him. Nothing good. Id actually bank on him adressing a running back and wide reciever in the first round, if we have a second rounder, perhaps taking mcpherson, and making this draft all about offense.

I think that simply because what was the first thing Saban did when he came to the dolphins? He addressed alot of issues on the defense without touching the O. I think that was wise because now going into the draft, our D was established through free agency, and now he can worry about young offensive players.

Clumpy said:
Still overvaluing Surtain

We're either going to get what we want for Surtain (i.e., the Chiefs' second-round pick and a second day draft pick), or we're going to keep him. I'm confident the Chiefs will agree to the trade after Carlos Rogers comes off the board.

testtubetimmy said:
Dont bet on Saban taking anyone from LSU. I doubt he would draw that unwanted attention from the media and other outlets about him keeping ties with his college players. That and we all know what happens when a college coach makes it to the big time and brings a few friends with him. Nothing good.

Our first pick is going to completely overshadow anything else Saban does in the draft. Webster would be a steal at #70. Daniels is a solid pick in the fifth-round.

I'm pretty sure Jimmie Johnson didn't get a lot of flak back in '89 when he drafted Rod Carter (LB - University of Miami) and Randy Shannon (OLB - UM) and in '90 when he drafted Jimmie Jones (DT - UM). Hell, JJ drafted Russell Maryland (NT - UM) with the FIRST OVERALL PICK in 1991 (Oh, and he also drafted Mike Sullivan, an OG from UM, that year too).

testtubetimmy said:
who cares what you think. your judgement is already overruled because your a bills fan.

And your judgement is overruled because you are a newbie insulting a valued contributor to this board.

I apologize. Let me post 1,000 worthless threads before any judgements I make are valid. Im pretty sure I'll be a fins fan still then, which IMHO gives me some level of satisfaction.

testtubetimmy said:
I apologize. Let me post 1,000 worthless threads before any judgements I make are valid. Im pretty sure I'll be a fins fan still then, which IMHO gives me some level of satisfaction.

Doesnt have anything to do with your number of posts. Everyone thats been around here for a while knows Clumpy and although he has bad taste in prefering the Bills to the Dolphins he knows his football and is a well respected member here, and being an @&& to him will just get you grief.

Not to mention he is correct if you think we are going to get a 2nd and anything else for Surtain you are over valuing him.

edit:
Ooops ... back to the original thread. I like that your thinking outside the box with DJ at number 7.

Back
Top Bottom