Under-radar Dolphins impressing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Under-radar Dolphins impressing

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
• What under the radar, non-household name Dolphins impressed during the offseason program?
Coaches liked what they saw from former Georgia defensive back Maurice Smith, who was around the ball a lot.
Cross training at both safety and corner, he had two picks and several deflections in 13 offseason practices. Smith said he nearly transferred to UM when he left Alabama last summer but opted for Georgia instead because he “wanted to contribute to Kirby Smart’s success.”
Smart was defensive coordinator at Alabama before replacing UM coach Mark Richt at Georgia.
Among others who flashed: undrafted Arkansas receiver Drew Morgan (here’s more on him from my Thursday post), former Southern defensive end Arthur Miley (got some heat on the quarterback), former British track and field Olympian Lawrence Okoye (had some good moments at defensive tackle late in the offseason program) and Houston undrafted rookie defensive end Cameron Malveaux, who had only 3.5 sacks in four years at Houston but generated a strong pass rush, at times, in May/June practices.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article156521969.html#storylink=rss

They (under-radar types) always look good until it starts getting real. They are playing hard to make the practice squad. I hope we find a gem or two.

If one or two guys come out of nowhere to contribute that will just be pure gravy for a team that added a lot of talent,

Phillips: If Wake's assessment of him is real we could be in a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, the light has gone on.

Being a UGA fan obviously, Smith plays the STAR position kind of a rover nickel corner, safety and LB position has some versatility and definately is a smart player. Might be fun to see him make it to the PS and eventually up on special teams. Dont see him as a tremendous athelte just an elite thinking one which we know only works at a few positions in the NFL and DB isnt one of them.

Honestly the ones I'm most excited to see probably aren't going to flash until the pads go on. I am intrigued by Smith, but more so by Chase Allen, Martin Praise-Oguike, Eric Smith and a few others.

The NFL is not a flag football league, so showing well in shorts isn't enough. I'm interested to see who can handle the real game against real competition when things start to matter to people. It's still not a real game against veterans, but it does pique my interest more than the quickness drills we see now.

We have a ton of young recievers that I am excited to see who is going to win out and I am going to expect at least one of them to spell the big three this year. The 2 DT's from the draft this year have a chance and there is opportunity along with Smith from Ga at Safety or nickle plus Eric Smith and Chase Allen as Digital mentioned above. We need depth / talent at all of these positions.

I want to see how Warmsley, Pitts, and Hendy have developed. All could push to make the end of the roster and those back up positions are up for grabs.

Back
Top Bottom