Unfair Comp Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unfair Comp Picks

Steve S

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I know this has been brought up before but if anyone else cares there is no way the NFL can justify giving Denver two 3rd's this year for losing Ian Gold and Bert Berry.

This hurts the Dolphins and every other team not named Denver as well as the integrity of the draft and league. The Broncos get two extra first day picks in a draft that is not especially deep or talented. Two extra and one very undeserved chance to land quality starters at the expense of the rest of the league.

They deserve one third rounder for Berry who made the Pro Bowl. However, Gold was an average backer for Tampa who was cut by the Bucs and resigned by Denver this year. This in no way equates to giving them back that high a high draft pick.

By comparison Tennessee lost Robaire Smith and Jevon Kearse and didn't make out so well. Ditto for Seattle who lost Randall Godfrey, Shawn Springs and others but didn't get back two 3rd rounders from the league.

What makes this whole deal flunk the legitimacy test is the fact that Denver was stripped of its own 3rd this year for salary cap violations. This looks like a payback deal where Tags and Co can look tough by fining the Broncos for cheating while giving Pat Bowlen back his draft pick at the first opportunity.

The Colts were the first team to complain to the league about this, hopefully not the last.

Here are some e-mail addresses if anyone else cares to complain about it.

tagliabuep@nfl.com
hendersonh@nfl.com

Steve S said:
I know this has been brought up before but if anyone else cares there is no way the NFL can justify giving Denver two 3rd's this year for losing Ian Gold and Bert Berry.

This hurts the Dolphins and every other team not named Denver as well as the integrity of the draft and league. The Broncos get two extra first day picks in a draft that is not especially deep or talented. Two extra and one very undeserved chance to land quality starters at the expense of the rest of the league.

They deserve one third rounder for Berry who made the Pro Bowl. However, Gold was an average backer for Tampa who was cut by the Bucs and resigned by Denver this year. This in no way equates to giving them back that high a high draft pick.

By comparison Tennessee lost Robaire Smith and Jevon Kearse and didn't make out so well. Ditto for Seattle who lost Randall Godfrey, Shawn Springs and others but didn't get back two 3rd rounders from the league.

What makes this whole deal flunk the legitimacy test is the fact that Denver was stripped of its own 3rd this year for salary cap violations. This looks like a payback deal where Tags and Co can look tough by fining the Broncos for cheating while giving Pat Bowlen back his draft pick at the first opportunity.

The Colts were the first team to complain to the league about this, hopefully not the last.

Here are some e-mail addresses if anyone else cares to complain about it.

tagliabuep@nfl.com
hendersonh@nfl.com

It appears to be pretty weak doesn't it.

stop complaining about comp picks...in a few years, when we're drafting well, and not filling needs through FA, but instead using players already on the team, we'll get them as well

Why didn't we get anything for Todd Wade? or Tommie Hendricks?

Dudeman said:
stop complaining about comp picks...in a few years, when we're drafting well, and not filling needs through FA, but instead using players already on the team, we'll get them as well

Hes not complaining that we didnt get any picks, just how flawed it is in general. Its a legitamte complaint.

Jimi said:
Hes not complaining that we didnt get any picks, just how flawed it is in general. Its a legitamte complaint.

he called it unfair, honestly, thats complaining

if Miami got some picks this year, there would not be 1 anti-comp pick thread on here, instead it would be "That's awesome that we got more picks this year"

the Dolphins don't deserve any, and the teams that draft well and can replace FA losses in house are rewarded...it does make sense.

Dudeman said:
he called it unfair, honestly, thats complaining

if Miami got some picks this year, there would not be 1 anti-comp pick thread on here, instead it would be "That's awesome that we got more picks this year"

the Dolphins don't deserve any, and the teams that draft well and can replace FA losses in house are rewarded...it does make sense.

You aren't paying attention Dudeman.

The way the NFL doles out undeserved draft picks is unfair to every team that has to draft behind the teams that get these ridiculous picks.

My complaint has nothing to do with Miami not getting comp picks. It has to do with a system that waters down the draft and arbitrarily chooses to reward some teams in a way that the league doesn't feel they have to explain to their fans. The Colts levied the same complaint to the league today.

Denver isn't being rewarded for drafting well (Bert Berry was drafted by the Colts). They're being rewarded b/c the league and the commissioner never had the stones to punish them for salary cap violations.

the biggest beef is the colts..........they lost Marcus Washington to the skins and he makes the pro bowl and they get a fourth for him yet the broncos get a 3rd for ian gold????? sorry but that is questionable at best

Phinsfan1980 said:
Why didn't we get anything for Todd Wade? or Tommie Hendricks?

We acquired more free agents last year than we lost. Thats how it works. The difference between the number of FAs lost and FAs gained determines how many comp picks you get (up to the max). The quality of the FAs lost determines what round the picks are in.

Steve S said:
You aren't paying attention Dudeman.

The way the NFL doles out undeserved draft picks is unfair to every team that has to draft behind the teams that get these ridiculous picks.

My complaint has nothing to do with Miami not getting comp picks. It has to do with a system that waters down the draft and arbitrarily chooses to reward some teams in a way that the league doesn't feel they have to explain to their fans. The Colts levied the same complaint to the league today.

Denver isn't being rewarded for drafting well (Bert Berry was drafted by the Colts). They're being rewarded b/c the league and the commissioner never had the stones to punish them for salary cap violations.

I understand, but the reality is that there wouldn't be any of these type of threads if Miami got 2 or 3 compensatory picks.

honestly, would you have made this thread had Miami been awarded 2 3rds, or a 3rd and a 4th? if you say yes, then you certainly would've been the only one, and more than likely, there would be posters attacking you for bringing out the negative in a system that Miami benefitted from

this "flawed" system was brought up in the first place only because Miami got nothing. had we gotten something, people would've been posting threads like "Isn't it cool we got some extra picks, who do you think we should draft?"

bongo59 said:
the biggest beef is the colts..........they lost Marcus Washington to the skins and he makes the pro bowl and they get a fourth for him yet the broncos get a 3rd for ian gold????? sorry but that is questionable at best

The system set up rewards teams BASED ON THE SALARY OF THE PLAYER THAT IS SIGNED!!!! If you don't understand the system don't complain!!! If Washington was SOOOOOOO GREAT why didnt the colts resign him??? obviously he didnt sign for a HUGE sum....he signed for less than Gold and Berry.

Dudeman said:
I understand, but the reality is that there wouldn't be any of these type of threads if Miami got 2 or 3 compensatory picks.

Yes, there would be. Anytime the league bends over for an owner at the expense of all the other teams it should be talked about. That has been going on in baseball for a decade and look what that sport has turned into. Its not only about your team, Dudeman.

honestly, would you have made this thread had Miami been awarded 2 3rds, or a 3rd and a 4th? if you say yes, then you certainly would've been the only one, and more than likely, there would be posters attacking you for bringing out the negative in a system that Miami benefitted from

So what? Not everything is about Miami. I'm a fan of the NFL and football and I don't like it when the league does things that harm the game and competitive balance.You're missing the point. There's a larger issue that you don't seem to understand. Free agency doesn't mean that the league gets to water down the draft b/c a few owners have more clout than others. The NFL received a few hundred e-mails of complaint about this issue. One or two of them from me.

this "flawed" system was brought up in the first place only because Miami got nothing. had we gotten something, people would've been posting threads like "Isn't it cool we got some extra picks, who do you think we should draft?"

Again, you're dead wrong. When I woke up three mornings ago and saw Denver got 2 thirds, the highest comp picks awarded any team, I thought that there had to be a mistake. I knew their free agent losses weren't that dramatic compared to other teams.

Look objectively at what the NFL did and tell me the Colts, Pats, Hawks and Titans didn't lose more and deserve better comp picks than the Broncos who just so happened to be a 3rd round draft pick.

This is a flawed system that allows owners like Bowlen to manipulate the draft process. It ain't right.

Steve S said:
Yes, there would be. Anytime the league bends over for an owner at the expense of all the other teams it should be talked about. That has been going on in baseball for a decade and look what that sport has turned into. Its not only about your team, Dudeman.

ok, fine, whatever. maybe they would've been started by you, but the rest of the people on here would've bben satified and wouldn't have complained if Miami got something. Did I say I started a thread on this topic? No, but there were countless people complaining because Miami didnt get anything

afishfan said:
The system set up rewards teams BASED ON THE SALARY OF THE PLAYER THAT IS SIGNED!!!! If you don't understand the system don't complain!!! If Washington was SOOOOOOO GREAT why didnt the colts resign him??? obviously he didnt sign for a HUGE sum....he signed for less than Gold and Berry.

You're talking out of your pie hole fishfan.

Washington did not sign for less than Gold and made the Pro Bowl. Gold was cut by the Bucs after one year.

The system is based on many variables like playing time, performance, contract and other things the NFL has never fully explained on paper to its audience.

In other words, they make this crap up to suit themselves and a few owners. When they get called out on it they can always fall back on this "complex formula" that they don't have to show anyone.

You can not honestly tell me that the Colts deserved less for losing Washington than the Broncos did for Ian Gold.

That's idiotic.

Dudeman said:
ok, fine, whatever. maybe they would've been started by you, but the rest of the people on here would've bben satified and wouldn't have complained if Miami got something. Did I say I started a thread on this topic? No, but there were countless people complaining because Miami didnt get anything

When you debate without paying attention you sound silly.

Don't say whatever when you were the first to try to make this a Miami only issue. Its not. I don't think you can speak for the rest of the people in here, either.

You were the one to misread a thread to suit your own purposes and thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom