Unit By Unit Grades Post Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unit By Unit Grades Post Draft

I definitely see a coach who is still learning on the job and putting his stamp on the team. Lots to like about Adam Gase. I am hopeful that he can take it to the next level, especially getting the offense to perform. Looking at how the defense is structured, Miami has to get off to faster starts and play with some leads to be effective. Then the pass rush could make a difference.

Absolutely agreed BUT for a new coach I think he's doing fine and a "B" type grade is about right for him. He's certainly not perfect. Then again how many coaches are in this league?

For example, I'm very curious what the Kid Coach for the LA Rams is going to do with that unit this year.

I don't understand how a 'homer" can give the TE position only a C+ when we now have Gesicki and Smythe and the O-line also a C+ with the additions we made but it's the dead time around here so at least the OP gave us something to read about

Football was NOT fun last season. We suffered through almost unbearable bull crap. I think that good times are coming based on the off season moves. I'd rather grade the FO and team at the end of the year but I expect very good grades. I really think we have a chance to be one of the 1 or 2 teams that have big turnarounds. We have a lot of new parts that must gel together, if they do we'll be much better than what most are predicting.

Ok here goes.
Front office (including Ross) : C
Coaching: B+
QB’s: B-
RB: B+
WR: B
TE: C (good potential but totally unproven, pretty much an incomplete grade)

O-line: C+
DLine: B-
LB: C- (same as TE group, maybe less potential)
CB: B+
Safeties: B+
Special Teams : who the hell knows?

Where does Miami rank unit-by-unit after the draft? I'm trying to be realistic without aqua-colored glasses. Using an A-F grading system with C being league average.

Here it goes. Love your take.

Front Office C-
Mike Tannebaum was hired in February 2015. Making this simple, Miami has gone 22-27 in that time period which is a bit below average. We can talk all day about good and bad moves, but won/loss record seems like the best indicator.

Coaching C
Using the same approach, Adam Gase is 16-17 in two years including a playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Gase was a breath of fresh air, pulling all the right strings in his first year. Not much went right in year number two. I will say this. In year three, the offense better take off as that's really his area of expertise and it's been pretty ho hum for the most part.

Quarterback C
The numbers may not suggest it, but I think Ryan Tannehill is slightly above average. He could have his best season with an improved cast around him. Brock Osweiller was a fringe starter, but he could give you a good game here and there. David Fales and Brice Petty could be in the mix for a back-up role.

Offensive Line C+
When was the last time Miami had an above average offensive line? Could certainly happen this year. Love the free agent acquisition of Josh Sitton at left guard. Plus Daniel Kilgore is probably as good as Mike Pouncey, but more durable. The key is the development of Laremy Tunsil. Depth appears better as well.

Running Backs B-
I think Kenyon Drake has superstar potential if he stays healthy. Hopefully Frank Gore has enough left in the tank to get those short-yardage, tough yards. Kalen Ballage has some intriguing skills to work with.

Wide Receivers C
There's no number one guy here, but there is talent. Danny Amendola is a quarterback friendly target. Albert Wilson is fast and versatile. Kenny Stills and Tannehill are on the same page. The big question mark is DaVante Parker and if he can take his game to another level. Jakeem Grant and Wilson could take some plays away from Parker. Grant's big-play ability needs to be utilized better.

Tight Ends C+
I admit this could be a bit "homer" of me. I just really think Mike Gesicki is going to be just sicki. In a good way. He may be the best tight end Miami has had since Keith Jackson. I like the potential of Durham Smythe as well, especially as a blocker. A.J. Derby is also intriguing and MarQueis Gray figures to challenge for a roster spot as well. I think the Dolphins turned this from a weakness to a strength this offseason.

Defensive Ends B-
With Cameron Wake, Robert Quinn, Charles Harris, William Hayes and Charles Branch Miami has pass rushers and depth on the edge. Besides Hayes, though, these guys aren't great against the run. That could be a concern.

Defensive Tackles D+
Even with the recent addition of Akeem Spence, defensive tackle is a major question mark. Davon Godchaux had a nice rookie year and should continue to develop. Jordan Phillips is a big key with whether he can be more productive with more snaps. Vincent Taylor looks to be a rotational guy.

Linebackers C-
This is really projection based. The return of Raekwon McMillan could be huge for Miami's defense. Jerome Baker, at least initially, figures in passing downs. His speed and athleticism should boost the pass defense. Kiko Alonso could find himself back at MLB with McMillan as the strongside. Stephone Anthony may start at strongside. Interesting to see how the Dolphins go here.

Corner/Safety B-
The safety tandem of Reshad Jones and rookie Minkah Fitzpatrick could be among the leagues best. Xavien Howard had a terrific stretch run for Miami with a game for the ages against New England. Cordrea Tankersley showed well as a rookie. Tony Lippett returns to challenge Tankersley. Bobby McCain figures to start in the slot, maybe with Fitzpatrick getting time there as well. T.J. McDonald could see time at linebacker or as a third safety in some sets. Nice young talent in the secondary for the Dolphins.

Special Teams C-
Rookie kicker Jason Sanders would be the current starter and that doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Long snapper John Denny remains a great story for Miami. If long snappers ever made the Hall of Fame, he'd have to be considered. Of course, that doesn't happen. On paper, this area could be a concern but you never know who will end up as the opening day kicker.

My problem with the grading is the unknowns. I can make a case Phillips, Godchaux, Quinn, Harris, McMillan, Baker, X, Tank, Lippett, and Fitz all have "potential" to be good, and that's just the D. Realistically, some will improve, some won't. We just don't know which ones.

Tannabum D minus just because of his reputation before joining the phins.
Special teams c plus because Rizzi reputation as he has turned ST around before.

Anyone who gives TE anything below B+ is asinine. Considering the lack of attention to the position for what feels like decades. We go out and draft top 2 at the position and is a C?
He may be unproven but it's a massive upgrade even if he accomplishes half of what you'd expect.

Saw "C" grades for the first 4 categories including for a coach that got us to the play-offs year one and manage some wins in years two losing a starting QB and didn't even bother going beyond that.
Thank you brother....enough said!

Another exercise in foolishness.
Some of you have way too much time on your hands

Anyone who gives TE anything below B+ is asinine. Considering the lack of attention to the position for what feels like decades. We go out and draft top 2 at the position and is a C?
He may be unproven but it's a massive upgrade even if he accomplishes half of what you'd expect.
It could end up being a B+. But we are also counting on rookies so I tried to temper my enthusiasm a bit there.

It could end up being a B+. But we are also counting on rookies so I tried to temper my enthusiasm a bit there.

It wasn't really meant at you directly. Just in general there should be a huge plus to the position just based on potential and college performance due to the fact that this position has been basically ignored and of no consequence for over a decade. They recognized what a serious need was for a change and attacked it with a vengeance.

Coaching- Gase has put his foot down and has overhauled his staff. We should be better this year in the regard. B-

QB- all on Tannehill, wouldnt surprise me if Petty is the number 2. B

RB- Drake, Gore, Ballange, Perry. Drake is going to breakout, Gore great mentor still playing at a high level, Ballange looks like a player. B+

Wr/TE- no superstar but a variety of play styles and deadly variations that should open this playbook up. B+

OL- first time in a while we have solid depth across the board. Still a bit unproven but we have our bookends, former PB guard, and a center that can actually practice. B-

DE/DT- 5 passrushers and 4 unproven tackles, this is a stength and a question mark at the same time. Someone needs to step up in the Dt rotation bit we have a lot to work with on the edge. B

LB- finally some speed with Baker and Gervin and Anthony in the mix. Returning 2nd pick who should be our mike, position change for Alonso to Sam hopefully. Still the biggest ? on the team. C

CB/S- Good press corners, potentially great safety pairing, solid nickel options. Im not too worried anymore about the secondary. B

Personally, I'll be surprised if Petty makes the team.

Saw "C" grades for the first 4 categories including for a coach that got us to the play-offs year one and manage some wins in year two after losing a starting QB. I didn't even bother to read beyond that.
Against the weakest schedule in the league, and only had ONE win against teams with winning records and ZERO wins against 8-8 teams...

Take off the aqua glasses...

Against the weakest schedule in the league, and only had ONE win against teams with winning records and ZERO wins against 8-8 teams...

Take off the aqua glasses...

Really? I'm not sure you want to get into weak schedules and even 7-9 teams making the playoffs when 10, 11 win teams don't.

Spare me!

Back
Top Bottom