Unit By Unit Grades Post Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unit By Unit Grades Post Draft

Against the weakest schedule in the league, and only had ONE win against teams with winning records and ZERO wins against 8-8 teams...

Take off the aqua glasses...
That's funny, going into 2016 we had one of the "toughest" schedules in the league. Injuries happen, teams decline over the season for a bunch of reasons. Also, if we hadn't won all those games, a lot of those teams would've finished with an extra win, and who knows if that could've been a Turing point for their season.

It wasn't really meant at you directly. Just in general there should be a huge plus to the position just based on potential and college performance due to the fact that this position has been basically ignored and of no consequence for over a decade. They recognized what a serious need was for a change and attacked it with a vengeance.
I agree. I actually think TE could be an area of strength for a change.

Great job SF! Thanks for the analysis!

sounds like a 7-9 to 9-7 team.

call it 8 and 8 and we're precisely back to the same place we've been for 20 years!

I think the grades are tough but spot on....

I think Kenyon Drake has superstar potential if he stays healthy

I agree, his lateral quickness was a surprise, allowed him to avoid tackles in the backfield and locate holes...I don't understand why Gase did not use him more, was it something he had to see in game? Could of used Drake to put Ajayi right in his place to, run Drake sit Ajayi until that attitude changed, then still use Drake.

I hope there game planning more touches for Drake, running/passing. and plan to also give more touches to Jakeem Grant...both players look like they have more to give.

Nice post bro, I agree with you pretty much across all the grades although there are too many 'homers' with rose tinted glasses on in this thread commenting - have they learned nothingin the past 15 years?

Definitely expect to see plenty of high percentage, low risk passes to Amendola, Wilson, Grant and the RBs out of the gate. These are Tannehill's strength and that alone will be a massive upgrade over Cutler firing passes either too high or at the receiver's shoe laces.

I get that. Gase definitely overachieved in year one. But, the decision to sign Cutler certainly worked against him in year two. For me, it's a C right now but I'm still encouraged by his start. Getting to the playoffs in his first season, with all the injuries, was quite an accomplishment.
yeah, and i bet you were excited when he first announced it. what other options did we have in August?

Cutler threw for 3,659 yards, 21 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions with Gase back in 2015.

yeah, and i bet you were excited when he first announced it. what other options did we have in August?

Cutler threw for 3,659 yards, 21 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions with Gase back in 2015.
Honestly, I was never a big fan of Cutler. You're right, though, there weren't many options. Lots of things went wrong this year including the sporadic running game. I think a big part of that was Cutler's inconsistent play as well. His game against New England was definitely the highlight of the year. If he played like that every week, he would be a Hall of Famer.

NO!

Grades are given out prematurely.

Lets see now that this has clearly turned into Gase's show - lets see what happens....

After this year its A's and B's or F's - that's it. The NFL is all about winning the Superbowl.

Gase is all with Tannehill so lets see these two make it or break it up!!!!

Where does Miami rank unit-by-unit after the draft? I'm trying to be realistic without aqua-colored glasses. Using an A-F grading system with C being league average.

Here it goes. Love your take.

Front Office C-
Mike Tannebaum was hired in February 2015. Making this simple, Miami has gone 22-27 in that time period which is a bit below average. We can talk all day about good and bad moves, but won/loss record seems like the best indicator.

Coaching C
Using the same approach, Adam Gase is 16-17 in two years including a playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Gase was a breath of fresh air, pulling all the right strings in his first year. Not much went right in year number two. I will say this. In year three, the offense better take off as that's really his area of expertise and it's been pretty ho hum for the most part.

Quarterback C
The numbers may not suggest it, but I think Ryan Tannehill is slightly above average. He could have his best season with an improved cast around him. Brock Osweiller was a fringe starter, but he could give you a good game here and there. David Fales and Brice Petty could be in the mix for a back-up role.

Offensive Line C+
When was the last time Miami had an above average offensive line? Could certainly happen this year. Love the free agent acquisition of Josh Sitton at left guard. Plus Daniel Kilgore is probably as good as Mike Pouncey, but more durable. The key is the development of Laremy Tunsil. Depth appears better as well.

Running Backs B-
I think Kenyon Drake has superstar potential if he stays healthy. Hopefully Frank Gore has enough left in the tank to get those short-yardage, tough yards. Kalen Ballage has some intriguing skills to work with.

Wide Receivers C
There's no number one guy here, but there is talent. Danny Amendola is a quarterback friendly target. Albert Wilson is fast and versatile. Kenny Stills and Tannehill are on the same page. The big question mark is DaVante Parker and if he can take his game to another level. Jakeem Grant and Wilson could take some plays away from Parker. Grant's big-play ability needs to be utilized better.

Tight Ends C+
I admit this could be a bit "homer" of me. I just really think Mike Gesicki is going to be just sicki. In a good way. He may be the best tight end Miami has had since Keith Jackson. I like the potential of Durham Smythe as well, especially as a blocker. A.J. Derby is also intriguing and MarQueis Gray figures to challenge for a roster spot as well. I think the Dolphins turned this from a weakness to a strength this offseason.

Defensive Ends B-
With Cameron Wake, Robert Quinn, Charles Harris, William Hayes and Charles Branch Miami has pass rushers and depth on the edge. Besides Hayes, though, these guys aren't great against the run. That could be a concern.

Defensive Tackles D+
Even with the recent addition of Akeem Spence, defensive tackle is a major question mark. Davon Godchaux had a nice rookie year and should continue to develop. Jordan Phillips is a big key with whether he can be more productive with more snaps. Vincent Taylor looks to be a rotational guy.

Linebackers C-
This is really projection based. The return of Raekwon McMillan could be huge for Miami's defense. Jerome Baker, at least initially, figures in passing downs. His speed and athleticism should boost the pass defense. Kiko Alonso could find himself back at MLB with McMillan as the strongside. Stephone Anthony may start at strongside. Interesting to see how the Dolphins go here.

Corner/Safety B-
The safety tandem of Reshad Jones and rookie Minkah Fitzpatrick could be among the leagues best. Xavien Howard had a terrific stretch run for Miami with a game for the ages against New England. Cordrea Tankersley showed well as a rookie. Tony Lippett returns to challenge Tankersley. Bobby McCain figures to start in the slot, maybe with Fitzpatrick getting time there as well. T.J. McDonald could see time at linebacker or as a third safety in some sets. Nice young talent in the secondary for the Dolphins.

Special Teams C-
Rookie kicker Jason Sanders would be the current starter and that doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Long snapper John Denny remains a great story for Miami. If long snappers ever made the Hall of Fame, he'd have to be considered. Of course, that doesn't happen. On paper, this area could be a concern but you never know who will end up as the opening day kicker.

Holy ****, I 100% agreed with every grade and analysis top to bottom... I did NOT expect to see that... nice analysis and spot on. Anyone who disagrees with this more than 1-2 categories/grades is also expecting 12-4 record too.

A lot of people are kidding themselves on this thread and the threads predicting wins, or the threads where pundits bash the team.

Not that I expect us to have fewer than 6 or 7 wins if the key players stay healthy. I think we'll be in touch with a playoff berth coming down the stretch. But that would make us average or at best slightly above average in the NFL.

So, on the basis that a D is just below league average and a B is just above it, here's how I'd grade the team....

Front Office C-
The Trader Mike moves haven't really moved the needle, especially when you figure in the contract renewals for Kiki, Branch McDonald etc. Nor have Gase's various attempts to work with old buddies (coaches and players) been that productive. Think Cutler, JT, Bushrod et al.
The drafts have been very solid though, imo.

Coaching C
I know in Year 2 he had no QB (partly his fault) but if you're a famous QB whisperer and offensive guru, you need to have a more productive offense. He knows it and fans know it. Playcalling has improved, situational football is better. Are players improving dramatically though under his coaching?

Quarterback B-
If Tannehill is OK - and I don't see why he wouldn't be - we'll have a guy in the top 10-12 QBs in the league, higher if he takes a step forward. Backups are solid.

Offensive Line D+
Remember, D+ is a hair below middle of the pack. It should be above average, but we haven't had one of those since forever and I'm not convinced about depth (which is crucial in that position). If Sitton and Kilgore solidify the interior, this might hit a C, which frankly I'd be very happy with.

Running Backs B-
If Adam Gase has proven a guru at one position in his time in Miami, it's prob RB, ironically. I had no faith when we drafted Drake and was shocked when Ajayi was traded, so I'm giving Adam complete benefit of the doubt here, as he seems to have a great eye.

Wide Receivers B+
This stable of WRs is a QBs wet dream. They're all proven, battle tested producers. They're all fast, they're all good catchers, they can all get separation. I can understand why teams with more hyped or glamorous players wouldn't swap with Miami, but they prob wouldn't swap with NE either and look what they achieve.

Tight Ends D+
I know, I know. But remember D+ is top 20, roughly speaking. Remember also that were talking 2018, not the future. TEs coming from college almost always have a tough first year. Their playbook is massive, they have to get stronger, they have to improve their blocking (even the flex guys),.... it's a lot to ask a guy to be a star in year one. And some, despite having huge potential coming out, don't make the jump. I have faith in our guys, but a stable of Gesicki, Smythe, Escobar, Grey, Derby is VERY untested, even if chock-full of potential. In 2019, the score could be A (or it could be E). I'm optimistic it will climb.

Defensive Ends B+
It's not a great run-stuffing group. But it is a relentless bunch of crazed lunatics coming off the edge. Will be tough to deal with that level of quality through a full game for any tackle in the league.

Defensive Tackles E+
Outside the top 20 teams for me, this room. Sure, individually most of these guys have some NFL calibre talent. But it's a long season, they have no intimidation factor, our scheme funnels play inside and makes work for DTs, our DEs aren't runstuffers (Hayes excl), our LB corps is new, injuries will prob play a role..... Looks like a long season for a bunch of rotational players to gel and hold their own.

Linebackers C
Unlike the TE position, this LB group has had more time in the playbook and with coaches. Even Raekwon is in year 2 of learning the system, if not playing it. He will be a huge add. The improved safety room behind them will help, but the thin DT group could be a drain. The hardest group to rate for me. My faith in Raekwon is enough to believe it can be a top15 group

Corner D-
Just outside the top half of the league. Potential is yet to turn into production with this group. Their physical traits have shown that shifting away from press coverage is a risky ploy and maybe explains why these long physical guys are not a la mode. If they can play more press and can clean up their rough edges, who knows, they could be a top ten grouping. Slot corner still worries me, even if McCain took a step forward last year.

Safety A-
Yeah, I think this group is that good. Minkah is a home run draftee and the other two guys are high quality safeties any team would want.

Special Teams C-
Great coverage, great kick blocking, great punting, OK KR/PR and OK kicking have kind of been the hallmark of Rizzis Special Teams every year. Why should this be any different? What stops it being a top half grouping is my disgust at us losing Parkey and our necessary faith in another project kicker (so far anyway). Kicking points is vital, misses are game changers.

There we have it. It's a team with some talent above the average at some really key spots (QB, WR, DE and safety), a couple of top 15-17 rooms and bottom half talent elsewhere. No Trainwreck areas, though we'll have to watch the DT room.

For me, there's enough potential there for the team to squeeze the playoffs. But to get there will require better coaching, player development and offensive production than we've had so far from Gase. He capable of it, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Fell like I was harsh on the coaching grade. B- maybe more appropriate.

Hey, it's an opinion piece and you're entitled to it. But if anything year 2 shows me they didn't "overachieve" as they where close "statistically" to actually earning another playoff spot with that same Cutler and that tells me a great deal.
You think we were close to earning a playoff spot last year. Sir, you are delusional.

Back
Top Bottom