United Kingdom | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

United Kingdom

GazPhin

Brannigan Begin Again
Reaction score
Aldershot, Surrey.

In my area of the UK, Surrey, we have a local Britball team (British Gridiron league) called the Personal Assurance Knights, based in Guilford. The quality of football is, for me, yet to be determined but I suspect somewhat lower than NFL Europe standard.

I'm just glad they aren't sponsored by Fruit of the Loom:stooges:

They play from April-September and I guess I'll see them a few times. But it's nothing like the real thing. I try to see the Dolphins every year, for at least one game. But sometimes when they have back to back home games it's easy to schedule a vacation around it. This year the opening games, early September are favourite.

Last season I only managed to spend a weekend in Miami, but saw the Broncos game. I might add, I wasn't among those booing the team off at halftime. 3 points down it didn't seem irretrievable to me;)

Gazphin...............

Originally posted by GazPhin
Aldershot, Surrey.

In my area of the UK, Surrey, we have a local Britball team (British Gridiron league) called the Personal Assurance Knights, based in Guilford. The quality of football is, for me, yet to be determined but I suspect somewhat lower than NFL Europe standard.

I'm just glad they aren't sponsored by Fruit of the Loom:stooges:

They play from April-September and I guess I'll see them a few times. But it's nothing like the real thing. I try to see the Dolphins every year, for at least one game. But sometimes when they have back to back home games it's easy to schedule a vacation around it. This year the opening games, early September are favourite.

Last season I only managed to spend a weekend in Miami, but saw the Broncos game. I might add, I wasn't among those booing the team off at halftime. 3 points down it didn't seem irretrievable to me;)

I was curious to know what some of the differences are between life in the United States and in the UK. Unfortuanately, I've never gotten to visit anywhere outside of the States. I plan on doing so one day. Would you recommend the UK? Just curious on any input that you may have.:cool: Oh, and by the way, it's good to have you aboard(on finheaven that is;) ). Are there alot of 'phin fans in the UK? Keep spreading the word of the 'phins greatness.;)

Differences?

...I know we're sometimes "divided" by a common language. In London you might say you're going outside for a *** and it means you're going outside for a cigarette. You might be more cautious with that term in say, Key West.;)

Also, in America a man can sit about on his Fanny. In the UK, I would need a gender switch operation to achieve that.:lol:

As for a Holiday destination., I think our tourist industry is about 5th in the world and worth about $26 billion. Whether it's the place for you depends very much on what your idea of a holiday is?

I can certainly help with some ideas if you specify your interests.

Among the generation that got to like footbal about the time I did and before, the Dolphins are a popular team. They we're great and had a great past. They were, then as now, always in with a chance of success. However, after that the dynasties of the Cowboys and 49ers meant that a lot of people grew into the game supporting them (Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith et al).

It says a lot about why people become fans. Star QB's are very important. My father in law, who was introduced to football in December against the Broncos at Pro Player, came back and deserted to Green Bay after seeing Brett Favre on our TV coverage (which by the way is limited in comparison to the US coverage - wish we got more).

Given the success post NFL Europe of Kurt Warner, etc...

...Is anyone planning to keep an eye out for Dolphins drafted to the NFL Europe? I plan to support the Claymores who have safety Scott Shields on board.

Who knows he might one day make an NFL career.

(The Claymores have a good number of European talents, including British ones, and as such I am drawn to them over the others).:D

Where did you hear that???

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I heard that in London, everywhere you walk is caught on closed circuit television.

On the news or in the novel 1984??

I lived in London for a long time and I have to say, there are few highs more satisfying than mooning the CCTV in the lobby service ATM's at Barclays Bank. ;)

I wouldn't say it was at police state level yet though.:lol:

It can be even worse...

My RW shirt cost $30 to ship, and the personalised teddy bear I boaght for my little boy to be (dolphins jersey with Lucas no.1 on it, he's called Lucas) cost a further $25. I have to say both items were worth it however!!:D

one question gaz.................

is it always rainy and overcast as it shows on the "telly"? this outfit we do work for wanted to send me there, "siemens energy", its a german based company, but i wasn't sure about the climate. actually, it was scotland and being scottish i was interested at first!;)

I don't think anyone talks about the weather more than the British

But that's because it's so variable. In the Carribbean or Miami, what ya gonna say. "Turned out nice again". Day after day, it must get boring. However, it is my idea of the ideal climate.

We have it grey often enough, but we have some great days too. Winter seems a little lengthy, but everything's so green you kind of realise that takes some serious rainfall over the year.

i wouldn't know about the carribean,

i live in california, so.cal has the ideal climate, miami gets too humid, everybody thinks california has perfect weather, thats why so many people are moving out here. personally i can't stand the earthquakes and the lines everwhere!

Got sun-burned on Sunday...

...while sitting out watching my local american football team. That's unusual for the month of April, we've had some unseasonably hot weather. Who said destroying the ozone was a bad idea?

The knights won 29-0 and were strong in all aspect of the game. Whilst their opponent had improved from last year especially on D there is a feeling that until we play last season's champ we won't know how good we're gonna be. Almost like the NFL really?!?

Better still our cooler full of Bud lasted the distance in the cold ice and was the perfect temperature!:drinker: :drinkers: :rocker:

Back
Top Bottom