United States vs. Belgium thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

United States vs. Belgium thread

We have to be VERY PROUD of how our team played. They fought, and fought, and fought, then fought some more. And then, down 2-0 with the game over, they come back with "We Have Not Yet Begun To Fight" score a goal, and had Belgium on their heels until the last second. WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is definitely a young core to be excited about. With Altidore being only 24 as well Bradley and Fabian Johnson only being 26.

Klinsman has stated before, he enjoys watching American Football and the quick striking ability that can be shown off and wants to implement some of that on the pitch.

I definitely think this is the best team we have brought into a World Cup and the future is bright.

Not sure if they had the most talent but, agree on the best team.

Tim Howard was a beast in this game. The man did it all. Great effort. We should all be proud of team USA

Yeah they're a scrappy young team that was in every game they played in.
No shame in escaping the group of death and almost clawing back against a tough Belgian team.

... And, we now return you to "who cares about soccer" - already in progress. :chuckle:

... And, we now return you to "who cares about soccer" - already in progress. :chuckle:

I'm actually going to start watching some MLS and Premier League games now. This World Cup got me more excited about soccer than in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klinsmann is a good manager you guys are lucky he married a yank and had kids in the states lol you should have him long term and he seems to want to completly redo your grass roots setup which can only help

Soccer is here to stay. The youth leagues are more and more promising each and every year. What helps soccer more than anything right now is the rate at which enrollment in their youth leagues are increasing v. the decreasing rate of youth football. Parents are watching TV. They're perking up when they hear the words concussion and football in the same sentence. We live in a different time now. Eventually, these kids in these youth soccer leagues are going to grow older, develop their game and move up the ranks. The United States will improve. As great as American football is, it can't compete with patriotism and how people will rally behind their country for something like the World Cup.

Soccer is here to stay. The youth leagues are more and more promising each and every year. What helps soccer more than anything right now is the rate at which enrollment in their youth leagues are increasing v. the decreasing rate of youth football. Parents are watching TV. They're perking up when they hear the words concussion and football in the same sentence. We live in a different time now. Eventually, these kids in these youth soccer leagues are going to grow older, develop their game and move up the ranks. The United States will improve. As great as American football is, it can't compete with patriotism and how people will rally behind their country for something like the World Cup.

I used to think soccer would never catch on in the US because it wasn't a good fit for advertisers. The non-stop aspect of the game makes it so commercials can't be inserted between the action.

But I am beginning to agree with you because of the concussion issue. Parents WILL steer their kids away from football and toward other sports. basketball and soccer will benefit from the influx of athletes. Since soccer doesn't require you to be above 6'5 to be successful like in basketball, I think you will see a lot of kids who otherwise have developed into RBs, WRs, DBs, etc. grow into pro soccer players. Even if there isn't a lot or money to be had in the MLS yet, if these American athletes are good enough they could make major money over in Europe.

I think in 10 years soccer will be the 3rd most popular sport in the country behind basketball and football.

team was dominated...nothing really else to say...defended the entire game...right team won...120 minutes of playing in your own end pretty much well except for that last 15 minute period when the o seemed to go for it

besler ran out of gas in the extra periods...defense was gassed...good effort...but belgium was in a different class...

tribute to the heart of the team that they got out of the group phase i guess it's called cause the team had like no possession of the ball the entire 4 games...

the cooling periods stoppages in games are a trip...:lol: i've also never seen so many broken ankles by the way the guys act heal as soon as the referee looks away

team was dominated...nothing really else to say...defended the entire game...right team won...120 minutes of playing in your own end pretty much well except for that last 15 minute period when the o seemed to go for it

besler ran out of gas in the extra periods...defense was gassed...good effort...but belgium was in a different class...

tribute to the heart of the team that they got out of the group phase i guess it's called cause the team had like no possession of the ball the entire 4 games...

the cooling periods stoppages in games are a trip...:lol: i've also never seen so many broken ankles by the way the guys act heal as soon as the referee looks away

I cracked up at all of the melodrama with the fake injuries. Those Oscar-worthy performances even dwarfed basketball flops! Kudos to the thespians!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Klinsmann is a good manager you guys are lucky he married a yank and had kids in the states lol you should have him long term and he seems to want to completly redo your grass roots setup which can only help

The criticism of him by TV analysts when he first got here was such a joke. One year in and they are talking like the team is a World Power and if he doesn't win a friendly that they may replace him. Everything from his philosophy, to his nose for talent, to his wanting to restructure the youth system . . . all of that is going to aid this team in becoming a better soccer nation and seriously compete for a World Cup in the near future.

I'd agree, we are very fortunate that he is the coach, that his wife is American and loves California.

Except, Americans love violence. NFL stadiums are our version of the Colosseum.

Soccer will never displace football. The lack of ad revenue soccer gets prevents the sport from getting big. If the sport doesn't get big, the players can't make tons of loot. Our elite athletes will continue to follow the money.

Because if there's one thing Americans love more than violence, it's cash.

We give our attention to the WC because it's every four years (like the Olympics)

If it were every year, it wouldn't seem like a big deal & we'd get bored with it rather quickly.

Except, Americans love violence. NFL stadiums are our version of the Colosseum.

Soccer will never displace football. The lack of ad revenue soccer gets prevents the sport from getting big. If the sport doesn't get big, the players can't make tons of loot. Our elite athletes will continue to follow the money.

Because if there's one thing Americans love more than violence, it's cash.

We give our attention to the WC because it's every four years (like the Olympics)

If it were every year, it wouldn't seem like a big deal & we'd get bored with it rather quickly.

Basketball isn't a particularly violent sport and it's currently the 2nd most popular sport. Baseball is far less violent than soccer, and it considered America's past time. The lack of "violence" in soccer won't prevent it from growing here.

There are ways that the sport could be tweaked to appease advertisers, but you are correct that it will never be as appealing to US advertisers as football is. But if the interest is there from the public, advertisers will make do. I think social media is helping the growth of soccer in the states a ton because younger kids are being exposed to the sport and it's stars. Kids are watching high level soccer online and seeing the potential to grow in it. I do think the tide is turning for soccer in the US.

I'm sure in the 40s it was unthinkable that the NFL could ever grow to be bigger than baseball, but it did. All it takes is a new generation of people with different tastes and a strong commissioner to grow the league.

Back
Top Bottom