United States vs. Belgium thread | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

United States vs. Belgium thread

WD9EreH-1.png

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted. No hard feelings Belgium...

fXC0EhS-1.jpg

9XGYPNH-1.jpg

PABZz4J-1.jpg

See ya in 2018.

Football is going away as a culture. It will take decades, but, I think it's past
it's peak. You can see it going away.

I really don't give two ****s less about soccer. I want our guys to do well,
but I'm not ****ed up when we don't do well.

Eventually, this is gonna be our game.

The sport has gone from being irrelevant in this country to relevant....and IMO everything has been tied to the level of play and skill of the players, we are getting better in those departments...If the U.S. continues to develop talent like Tim Howard we will beat teams like Belgium etc. and you will pay top dollar to see them play......

IMO, aside from developing the youth, we need to sort out a way to keep American players playing in the US, no easy task with the money available.

Basketball isn't a particularly violent sport and it's currently the 2nd most popular sport. Baseball is far less violent than soccer, and it considered America's past time. The lack of "violence" in soccer won't prevent it from growing here.

There are ways that the sport could be tweaked to appease advertisers, but you are correct that it will never be as appealing to US advertisers as football is. But if the interest is there from the public, advertisers will make do. I think social media is helping the growth of soccer in the states a ton because younger kids are being exposed to the sport and it's stars. Kids are watching high level soccer online and seeing the potential to grow in it. I do think the tide is turning for soccer in the US.

I'm sure in the 40s it was unthinkable that the NFL could ever grow to be bigger than baseball, but it did. All it takes is a new generation of people with different tastes and a strong commissioner to grow the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will believe it when I see it, been hearing the same stuff for 30 years now. The WC is a huge event, people are interested but it doesn't mean we all of a sudden love soccer. when MLS or other soccer games bring in huge ratings I will start to be convinced. as of now it's see you in 4 years to most "soccer fans".

Our best athletes are playing football and basketball. if our best athletes were playing soccer we'd be competing for World Cups instead of celebrating going 1-2-1 in 4 games.

The sport has gone from being irrelevant in this country to relevant....and IMO everything has been tied to the level of play and skill of the players, we are getting better in those departments...If the U.S. continues to develop talent like Tim Howard we will beat teams like Belgium etc. and you will pay top dollar to see them play......

it's still irrelevant, still way down the lost of most popular sports here. Tim Howard was great and helped keep that game close when we should have been killed. we need top players o the field and not just in goal but again our best athletes play other sports so it is difficult. if we had homegrown stars and actually made the semi's or WC Final maybe we'd see the sport become relevant. right now it's relevant during the WC and that's it.

Except, Americans love violence. NFL stadiums are our version of the Colosseum.

Soccer will never displace football. The lack of ad revenue soccer gets prevents the sport from getting big. If the sport doesn't get big, the players can't make tons of loot. Our elite athletes will continue to follow the money.

Because if there's one thing Americans love more than violence, it's cash.

We give our attention to the WC because it's every four years (like the Olympics)

If it were every year, it wouldn't seem like a big deal & we'd get bored with it rather quickly.

Myth.

The NFL isn't even that violent anymore. The rule changes scale back the defensive aggressiveness which is where the only "violence" really happens. They're moving towards doing away with the kickoff because of extreme collisions.

Boxing is a dying sport and the UFC isn't exactly grabbing casual fans despite true violence in these sports.

If Americans love cash more than violence, then they should be able to find plenty in soccer where a guy like Christiano Ronaldo earns a base $45M annual salary plus an additional $30M in endorsements. Total net worth of over $250M. Look at a guy like Tom Brady who makes a base $26.5M annual salary. Ronaldo tops that just in endorsements.

Soccer isn't taking over football tomorrow. It isn't even taking over baseball within the next year. But you have to look and think big picture here. The World Cup did wonders for the sport here in the states. It's all about incrementals. The MLS needs to be able to take some of the World Cup fanatics and draw them to their league. And I'm sure that they will. If Miami had a team (and they soon will) I will follow it. Plenty of excitement. No commercials. Short halftime period. Constant movement. No fat slob athletes. Matches are over in two measly hours.

Myth.

The NFL isn't even that violent anymore. The rule changes scale back the defensive aggressiveness which is where the only "violence" really happens. They're moving towards doing away with the kickoff because of extreme collisions.

Boxing is a dying sport and the UFC isn't exactly grabbing casual fans despite true violence in these sports.

If Americans love cash more than violence, then they should be able to find plenty in soccer where a guy like Christiano Ronaldo earns a base $45M annual salary plus an additional $30M in endorsements. Total net worth of over $250M. Look at a guy like Tom Brady who makes a base $26.5M annual salary. Ronaldo tops that just in endorsements.

Soccer isn't taking over football tomorrow. It isn't even taking over baseball within the next year. But you have to look and think big picture here. The World Cup did wonders for the sport here in the states. It's all about incrementals. The MLS needs to be able to take some of the World Cup fanatics and draw them to their league. And I'm sure that they will. If Miami had a team (and they soon will) I will follow it. Plenty of excitement. No commercials. Short halftime period. Constant movement. No fat slob athletes. Matches are over in two measly hours.

we hear that EVERY World Cup.

Remember this?

spr19940704-1.jpg

That was 20 years ago.

we heard it w/ pele, we heard it in '94, '98, '02, '06, the Donovan goal in '10 and we'll hear it about '14.

It is a novelty right now and it is all about Country not the game, when people start watching and spending big money to watch MLS we'll know it's getting big. Right now it's not, it's like Michael Phelps. people care during the Olympics, forget once it is over.

No one is talking soccer anymore already since the US was eliminated. the WC final will be big b/c it is a huge global event but once that is over soccer will be back down where it has always been in this Country.

It is growing but again until non WC games start getting attention it won't be real growth.

and I disagree w/ your excitement comment. sure there aren't commercials but there's a stoppage every 2 minutes for acting, half the game the players away from the ball are walking. It is a borefest. Our best athletes play football and basketball, until they start playing soccer we won't win and we won't care outside of the WC.

so we have like no possession against belgium and then belgium has like no possession against argentina...pretty obvious we would have been way in over our head in that one

so we have like no possession against belgium and then belgium has like no possession against argentina...pretty obvious we would have been way in over our head in that one

It was fairly merciful that we lost to Belgium in a hard fought game because Argentina would have crushed us. I expect Argentina to beat Germany although I don't think it will be a blowout..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It was fairly merciful that we lost to Belgium in a hard fought game because Argentina would have crushed us. I expect Argentina to beat Germany although I don't think it will be a blowout..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

it's hard to say and i'm by no means a soccer guy but i think that german goaltender is the best one i saw like really damn good and that team plays exceptional together...i will be surprised if argentina wins in a 120 minute game...but what do i know...they all flop like girls to me every time someone comes near them :lol:

i do appreciate the skill though...they got that damn ball on a string pretty much...they just got to start carding guys for diving and i think it would clean up the nonsense some...then again they red card guys that to me is pretty much run of the mill contact in any other sport...

i will go to my grave a contact sport guy so it is what it is...

we hear that EVERY World Cup.

Remember this?

spr19940704-1.jpg

That was 20 years ago.

we heard it w/ pele, we heard it in '94, '98, '02, '06, the Donovan goal in '10 and we'll hear it about '14.

It is a novelty right now and it is all about Country not the game, when people start watching and spending big money to watch MLS we'll know it's getting big. Right now it's not, it's like Michael Phelps. people care during the Olympics, forget once it is over.

No one is talking soccer anymore already since the US was eliminated. the WC final will be big b/c it is a huge global event but once that is over soccer will be back down where it has always been in this Country.

It is growing but again until non WC games start getting attention it won't be real growth.

and I disagree w/ your excitement comment. sure there aren't commercials but there's a stoppage every 2 minutes for acting, half the game the players away from the ball are walking. It is a borefest. Our best athletes play football and basketball, until they start playing soccer we won't win and we won't care outside of the WC.

No, it's definitely growing. You're talking about 20 years. Not surprising coming from a Jets fan.

Today, we have the Internet, social media, etc. Things spread and catch on like wildfire now.

As I've stated before, our best athletes DO play football, baseball and basketball. But, this is beginning to charge. We're in the embryo stages right now but it is beginning. Look around. Parents are taking more and more notice of the word "concussion" and the lawsuits surrounding the NFL. They're beginning to push their kids into sports with less contact out of fear. It's what parents do. Can't argue that. Youth football leagues are seeing decreases in registration while youth soccer leagues are seeing an increase.

The movement is happening. It's ok. Embrace it. There's no need to feel threatened. You don't have to resist it. You can still like football, too. I will.

No, it's definitely growing. You're talking about 20 years. Not surprising coming from a Jets fan.

Today, we have the Internet, social media, etc. Things spread and catch on like wildfire now.

As I've stated before, our best athletes DO play football, baseball and basketball. But, this is beginning to charge. We're in the embryo stages right now but it is beginning. Look around. Parents are taking more and more notice of the word "concussion" and the lawsuits surrounding the NFL. They're beginning to push their kids into sports with less contact out of fear. It's what parents do. Can't argue that. Youth football leagues are seeing decreases in registration while youth soccer leagues are seeing an increase.

The movement is happening. It's ok. Embrace it. There's no need to feel threatened. You don't have to resist it. You can still like football, too. I will.

Is it growing? absolutely but not at the rate you think. we hear about how it is taking over every World Cup then it gets forgotten about after the WC. There's no doubt there was more interest in this WC than any I had seen before but the next one is in Russia I believe and all the games will be on tape delay. I don't think we'll see the same interest.

You can get concussions just as easily in soccer from heading the ball, it's just not publicized now the way it is for football.

I don't feel threatened in any way, soccer will never be a major sport in my lifetime.

Most kids play youth soccer b/c it is the easiest to play for kids.

Is it growing? absolutely but not at the rate you think. we hear about how it is taking over every World Cup then it gets forgotten about after the WC. There's no doubt there was more interest in this WC than any I had seen before but the next one is in Russia I believe and all the games will be on tape delay. I don't think we'll see the same interest.

You can get concussions just as easily in soccer from heading the ball, it's just not publicized now the way it is for football.

I don't feel threatened in any way, soccer will never be a major sport in my lifetime.

Most kids play youth soccer b/c it is the easiest to play for kids.

What rate do you think that I think it's growing at? It's a slow process but it is happening and it will continue.

You mention concussions just as easily in soccer and while this might be true, the fact is, perception IS reality for a lot of people.

If parents aren't reading and hearing of concussions in soccer, then concussions just aren't happening in soccer.

What rate do you think that I think it's growing at? It's a slow process but it is happening and it will continue.

You mention concussions just as easily in soccer and while this might be true, the fact is, perception IS reality for a lot of people.

If parents aren't reading and hearing of concussions in soccer, then concussions just aren't happening in soccer.

I think that will come out, I was reading one of the famous women's players saying kids shouldn't head the ball. I think as soccer becomes more popular the concussion stuff will come out.

I don't know the rate of growth, certainly it took a major leap this WC but the WC is special. can they roll any of that over to MLS? I know there are some great soccer cities like Seattle and KC but can that happen in other places?

Back
Top Bottom