Unraveling the Mystery of Ryan Tannehill | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unraveling the Mystery of Ryan Tannehill

No **** he needs a running game. Look at dalton with and without a 100 yard RB i bet you will see the same things

I am not buying the less attempts would lead to success argument. Most QB's get lots of attempts and throw for 400+'yards due to the fact that they are trailing a great part of the game and trying to catch up. The Phins usually get off to bad starts. Like Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics," and i think Tanny's stats showing he would win more by throwing less is just not accurate.

how are you not buying that when you have 2 games as prime examples this year even? titans and Texans and the qb results for each

There is no mystery. Ryan isn't Brady or Rodgers, he needs a balanced offense to function well. He is best when the running game is working well and the defense can't tee off on our questionable pass protection.

Tannehill tops out at an Eli/Flacco level, IMO, and those kind of guys all need a balanced offense to perform to a winning level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see him as a average to below average qb. They way to beat us is to make tannehill throw. He will win some games just not the big games.

It's gotta be the coaching. We already know Sparano and Philbin aren;t great NFL HC's. Wouldn;t surprise me if they never got the right people for the job to train the OL.
I think losing John Jerry, Incognito, and Martin had a bit to do with it too. Not even saying Martin is better than Fox or Dallas Thomas 100%, but it wouldnt hurt to have that competition.

It might surprise you to know that New England's new o-line coach was Sparano's old o-line coach...

I see him as a average to below average qb. They way to beat us is to make tannehill throw. He will win some games just not the big games.

There is no way a below average QB has the stats Tannehill has in his career behind this ****ty line. A below average QB also wouldn't set an NFL record for consecutive completions.

You might need to watch some other NFL games on Sunday to truly see what below average QB play looks like.

Tannehill will never be elite, but he is certainly not below average. Even with all his warts, his firmly in the above average category, especially when he gets good pass protection and a balanced offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps the reason for this is he isn't confident our OL can block well enough especially against good opposing DL's? Those two games we won we ran the ball well and often. I agree that needs to be our formula but I'm not sure we can do that against the teams that stack the box like NE did. They put sometimes 8 people in the box to stop the run and force Tannehill to throw more than we wanted. We saw the results.

So how do you keep the opponent from stacking the box? By throwing the ball downfield. Unfortunately, the offense that Philbin envisioned (and Lazor runs) consists of mainly short passes with the expectation that the receiver gets yards after the catch. When the box is stacked to stop the run, the defense is also in place to stop yards after the catch from short passes. This offensive style may look good on paper, but in reality it sucks unless you have mostly above-average talent that can execute these plays to perfection. When your offense (with resistance from the opponent's defense) isn't able to do their job, then it's up to the coaching staff to adapt and make changes. Not in Miami! If there are so many defenders close to the line of scrimmage that you can't run, why would you throw a short pass into the teeth of the defense instead of going deep?

If Tannehill is to have any success, Miami must change their offensive philosophy and get rid of Lazor and the offense that he's running. They need to build a dominating o-line (RT can't function without one), commit to a strong running game with play action passes mixed in, and add a vertical passing game. Add in a few runs for the QB. Keep the opponent guessing and make him defend the entire field. As it stands, the opponent only has to defend 10-15 yards from the line of scrimmage, as Miami rarely goes deeper than that. The big question is can Tannehill do this? If not, replace him. I wish that there were stats on the throws made by QBs vs who was open and where. Miami gets into far too many 3rd and long situations where RT throws a 3 yard pass and they fail to convert. I'd love to know if there were open WRs downfield that Tannehill either didn't see (not good) or ignored and went for the short pass (even worse) in these situations. Is RT favoring a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 9, or is that what Lazor wants? Yes, the o-line is a factor, but there are times that the QB has time to look downfield. Even though I'm not a fan of Tannehill, it seems to me that he's been throwing the ball a bit farther at times this year, and I'm inclined to believe that this is probably because Philbin is gone. However, they're still abandoning the run too soon and still throwing short on 3rd and long, so Lazor must be a big part of the problem. As I said, I'm not a Tannehill fanboy, but I'm looking forward to see what he can do next season under a new coaching staff and hopefully with a "real" o-line and a new offensive scheme that is NOTHING like what Philbin and Lazor run.

Guys are commenting on new England plugging in anyone on the O line. All of that is Tom Brady, the fact that you can't fool him wit coverages, and he has mastered their system that ball is out so fast it's not funny

how are you not buying that when you have 2 games as prime examples this year even? titans and Texans and the qb results for each

The original poster implies that Tannehill throwing less results in the Phins winning more.

I think not falling behind early is what allows us to run the ball and not force Tannehill to throw it as much. Tannehill didn't have to throw it as much versus the Titans and Texans because we did not fall behind them, like we have against other teams. I can't make it any clearer than that.

Hopefully we can revisit this in 5 years with tannehill continuing to grow and becoming one of the legit elites

The original poster implies that Tannehill throwing less results in the Phins winning more.

I think not falling behind early is what allows us to run the ball and not force Tannehill to throw it as much. Tannehill didn't have to throw it as much versus the Titans and Texans because we did not fall behind them, like we have against other teams. I can't make it any clearer than that.

what came first in those two games...the success running the ball or the passing game success? keep in mind we worked mostly off of pa in both

if you are able to work primarily off of pa in the passing game two things are going for you...the scoreboard and the running game...it's that simple

Are the bills a primarily man defense? Be nice if Ryan had some third down pickups with his feet. Just can't imagine running effectively against that front

Are the bills a primarily man defense? Be nice if Ryan had some third down pickups with his feet. Just can't imagine running effectively against that front

While I agree that Sunday will be difficult for us....this is exactly the type of team we must run on. You can bet Rex Ryan is banking on his team stopping the run and making us pass happy.....if that happens, we play right into their defensive game plan and we lose.

Run the ball!!!! Even if it is only 70 yards at the end of the day on 25 carries....you have to run it.

While I agree that Sunday will be difficult for us....this is exactly the type of team we must run on. You can bet Rex Ryan is banking on his team stopping the run and making us pass happy.....if that happens, we play right into their defensive game plan and we lose.

Run the ball!!!! Even if it is only 70 yards at the end of the day on 25 carries....you have to run it.

I'm in agreement, would like to the rookie with some carries. Hopefully they don't out throwing to open up the run game.

and that requires the scoreboard allowing you to stick with it...this games more about the d keeping us in it than the offense...if the bills are moving the ball up and down the field on o we are screwed...this offense is gonna have its hands full with that front

and that requires the scoreboard allowing you to stick with it...this games more about the d keeping us in it than the offense...if the bills are moving the ball up and down the field on o we are screwed...this offense is gonna have its hands full with that front

I could be wrong but haven't the Bills been unimpressive on D lately? They even have players calling out Rex

Back
Top Bottom