Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look

These RBs scare me but only because of how badly we have missed on free agents RBs in recent years. At least, we finally have the goal line back we have been missing for years.

Last edited:
Duke Johnson was good for us at the very least, but then we let him go and to the Bills no less. Get ready to see if we made a mistake twice a year.

Very interesting backfield in Buffalo. Curious to see how they use them, but I'm also curious to see how much they miss Daboll. Allen's talent and the team talent and quality organization give them a high floor, but people expect them to make the SB this year, and a lot of people expect them to win it. They've had a good off season, but it's hard to say if losing Daboll will impact that offense.

Position by position how has Miami fared this offseason? Let's take a deeper dive.

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +
Tua has significantly more to work with and Bridgewater is an upgrade at backup over Brissett. Thompson could be in the mix to make the 53 as a potential long-term backup.

Offensive Line +
Armstead is a top 5 caliber LT and Williams is rated highly by PFF as both a pass and run blocker. Miami still has questions with unproven Deiter figuring to start at center and a battle among Eichenberg, Jackson and maybe Jones at RT. Hunt is a potential pro bowl talent. A new coach should help this unit reach its potential.

Running Back ++
Could be a major upgrade if Mostert can stay healthy. Mostert, Edmunds and Michel is a better trio than the Dolphins had to work with last year. Gaskin, White, Doaks and Ahmed could battle for one spot. Ingold was a nice addition at fullback. I liked his play for the Raiders.

Wide Receiver ++
The unexpected trade for Hill was the highlight of the offseason for me. This is a player that DC's have to game plan for and he changes the dynamic of the Dolphins offense. Keeping Gesicki was a big move as well. Waddle, Hill and Gesicki is about as good as it gets. Add in Cedric Wilson and 4th rounder Ezukanma and the Dolphins have potentially upgraded in a major way. Sherfield, Preston Williams and Bowden are likely competing for the final one or two spots. Keeping Smythe at tight end and the possible emergence of Long make tight end at least solid and potentially very good. How many tight ends will McDaniel keep?

Defensive Line 0
Bringing back Ogbah was huge. Basically, this is the same unit from 2021, although I think a pass rushing DE could still be added.

Linebacker +
I love the Tindall pick. Initially I think he'll be a weapon in rushing the passer and spying on those athletic quarterbacks. Phillips in year two should be even better, which is saying a lot. Goode could compete with Scarlett for a spot on the 53. Riley and Roberts were both retained.

Corner/Safety 0
Similar to the defensive line, Miami has virtually the same cast and crew in the secondary. With one more year under his belt, it will be interesting to see how Holland progresses. He could be a perennial pro bowler. Bringing back Needham was an under-the-radar signing. Could year three be the season Iggy emerges? It's now or never for the former 1st rounder.

Special Teams +
Miami upgraded at punter signing one of the best in Morstead, who has a career average of 46.6 per punt.
On paper this is a very fair assessment. I only hope it all plays out the way it seems to appear on paper.

Duke Johnson was good for us at the very least, but then we let him go and to the Bills no less. Get ready to see if we made a mistake twice a year.
Duke Johnson showed what I was preaching all season, Miami needs better running backs (and yes I know our line was completely dead last and as turble as Charles Barkley at golf).

Gaskin will have a hard time making this roster. He does have youth and health going for him where Mostert speed aside isn't a lock either due to health.

I'm excited about having a real fullback on the roster again. Huge huge upgrade with little attention.

Position by position how has Miami fared this offseason? Let's take a deeper dive.

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +
Tua has significantly more to work with and Bridgewater is an upgrade at backup over Brissett. Thompson could be in the mix to make the 53 as a potential long-term backup.

Offensive Line +
Armstead is a top 5 caliber LT and Williams is rated highly by PFF as both a pass and run blocker. Miami still has questions with unproven Deiter figuring to start at center and a battle among Eichenberg, Jackson and maybe Jones at RT. Hunt is a potential pro bowl talent. A new coach should help this unit reach its potential.

Running Back ++
Could be a major upgrade if Mostert can stay healthy. Mostert, Edmunds and Michel is a better trio than the Dolphins had to work with last year. Gaskin, White, Doaks and Ahmed could battle for one spot. Ingold was a nice addition at fullback. I liked his play for the Raiders.

Wide Receiver ++
The unexpected trade for Hill was the highlight of the offseason for me. This is a player that DC's have to game plan for and he changes the dynamic of the Dolphins offense. Keeping Gesicki was a big move as well. Waddle, Hill and Gesicki is about as good as it gets. Add in Cedric Wilson and 4th rounder Ezukanma and the Dolphins have potentially upgraded in a major way. Sherfield, Preston Williams and Bowden are likely competing for the final one or two spots. Keeping Smythe at tight end and the possible emergence of Long make tight end at least solid and potentially very good. How many tight ends will McDaniel keep?

Defensive Line 0
Bringing back Ogbah was huge. Basically, this is the same unit from 2021, although I think a pass rushing DE could still be added.

Linebacker +
I love the Tindall pick. Initially I think he'll be a weapon in rushing the passer and spying on those athletic quarterbacks. Phillips in year two should be even better, which is saying a lot. Goode could compete with Scarlett for a spot on the 53. Riley and Roberts were both retained.

Corner/Safety 0
Similar to the defensive line, Miami has virtually the same cast and crew in the secondary. With one more year under his belt, it will be interesting to see how Holland progresses. He could be a perennial pro bowler. Bringing back Needham was an under-the-radar signing. Could year three be the season Iggy emerges? It's now or never for the former 1st rounder.

Special Teams +
Miami upgraded at punter signing one of the best in Morstead, who has a career average of 46.6 per punt.

I think you gave Miami 0’s for secondary and DL because you couldn’t just put pluses everywhere. I think that you think those units will be better based solely on Phillips and Holland entering year 2 after promising rookie seasons.

I think you didn’t want to go overboard with pluses.

It’s not too late to edit.

I think I would’ve done the same thing though because no one wants to be called a homer by fans of the same team you root for.

In this case, it’s just fact, every unit is better. And most important of all Coaching +++

Does smell of Breida-Howard-Malcom Brown doesnt it. But in mcdaniel i trust

Not really. Smells like a lot more production.

Edmonds and Mostert have talent and speed. Michel is solid.

Injuries might be a concern but your way off in that comparison to those JAGs.

Also consider our new head coach is a running game guru and is as qualified as anyone alive to determine who’s worthy of carries.

Not really. Smells like a lot more production.

Edmonds and Mostert have talent and speed. Michel is solid.

Injuries might be a concern but your way off in that comparison to those JAGs.

Also consider our new head coach is a running game guru and is as qualified as anyone alive to determine who’s worthy of carries.
Also, Ingold can help Miami win those short yardage conversions. As you know, those are critical on getting w's.

Duke Johnson showed what I was preaching all season, Miami needs better running backs (and yes I know our line was completely dead last and as turble as Charles Barkley at golf).

Gaskin will have a hard time making this roster. He does have youth and health going for him where Mostert speed aside isn't a lock either due to health.

I'm excited about having a real fullback on the roster again. Huge huge upgrade with little attention.
Besides receiving out of the backfield, which he does well, not sure Gaskin adds much else.

Very interesting backfield in Buffalo. Curious to see how they use them, but I'm also curious to see how much they miss Daboll. Allen's talent and the team talent and quality organization give them a high floor, but people expect them to make the SB this year, and a lot of people expect them to win it. They've had a good off season, but it's hard to say if losing Daboll will impact that offense.
I see Buffalo as the team to beat in the AFC. I thought Allen finished the season playing phenomenal football. He went through a rough patch mid-season, but matching up against him is tough. Obviously, its been a big issue for Miami.

But maybe the Dolphins have improved enough on offense to compete with the Bills.

...also have to consider the possibility Dorsey will prove to be an upgrade.

I'm with you, in the hope that the loss of Daboll may be significant -- and thought about that before

considering the implication of Dorsey -- who seems to be on a HC trajectory.

Back
Top Bottom